Author Topic: Seat hard to close  (Read 4027 times)

CamaroMan79

• View Profile
Seat hard to close
« on: November 21, 2010, 09:09:25 PM »
Is anyone else's agility 125 seat hard to close? I really have to slam mine down to get it to lock.

axy

• View Profile
Re: Seat hard to close
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 09:21:28 PM »
Is anyone else's agility 125 seat hard to close? I really have to slam mine down to get it to lock.

There is no need to slam it, slight push between 1/2 and last 1/3 of the seat is enough, because that is where the locking mechanism is, unlike most scoots that have the locking mechanism towards rear end of the seat.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

marioG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 10:56:59 PM »
this is mine trouble from begining..

need to push it really hard to lock, but i like it...
FUBAR is an acronym that commonly means "f***ed up beyond all recognition/any repair".

MrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 03:46:20 PM »
i hold mine high and let it drop. usually does the trick. i don't care for the way the seat closes. somewhat difficult

and the entire locking mechanism was greased during a recent service. sure didn't help matters, thats for sure  ::)
scoots!

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 11:01:56 PM »
The seat is definitely a pain.  I try the 'high drop' approach which works usually, but sometimes I just have to press down on the seat over the latch to get it to click.

And I always make it a point to try and lift the seat back up to make sure it really did lock.

Something Kymco could surely improve on....

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 11:12:56 PM »
I think this topic should be closed because it is pointless.
On pretty much every scooter the seat needs to be pushed by hand in order to be closed.

To the contrary, A125 has one of the easiest closing seats - for example, on my People and a number of others scoots, the sit does not close by itself even when you SIT on it.
This is also a good precaution because it prevents a lot of locking keys under the seat...

If we continue like this, soon there will be complaints that training wheels need to be fitted to scoots because they are otherwise too much out of balance...
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 01:17:41 AM »
You could try a little lubricant on the latch area maybe...

MrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 05:18:08 AM »
I think this topic should be closed because it is pointless.
On pretty much every scooter the seat needs to be pushed by hand in order to be closed.

To the contrary, A125 has one of the easiest closing seats - for example, on my People and a number of others scoots, the sit does not close by itself even when you SIT on it.
This is also a good precaution because it prevents a lot of locking keys under the seat...

If we continue like this, soon there will be complaints that training wheels need to be fitted to scoots because they are otherwise too much out of balance...
well i don't think it needs to be closed because its "pointless." it has a point, and the point is even my dealer says the seat makes no sense to him and is difficult to close. "one of the easiest closing seats?" i think not!

on a Buddy for instance i press gently and it clicks closed. on my Agility i have to lean on the damn thing for 30 seconds or more, pound it until i think it might break, or high drop it and hope it shuts the first time, if not the second or third. all that compered to a simple "click" on other scooters. and now my latch is loose and i fear it might break so it won't close at all, or won't open one day

i think the thread is just from a new owner who wanted to know "whats up with this seat" and the suggestions and tips are pretty helpful. also it may have brought someone in who had a solution to our difficulties closing this seat sometimes

may seem a small thing to some, but its certainly worth some  conversation
scoots!

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 08:51:22 AM »
OH NO, MrKymco, you don't really pound on your scoot like that do you?

One time, I took my Met-in box off and when I put it back on the bar must have been off center from the latch because the seat did not want to close at all. I wiggled the seat sideways a bit and it closed.

Later, I took the Met-in box off again and when I put it back on the seat closed easier than it ever did. Sometimes the screws that hold the Met-in box in aren't lined up real good and that may throw the whole latch mechanism thingy off center.

It may be as simple as removing the Met-in box and lining it up better and replacing the screws. Or that could just be an off the wall theory...

MrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 08:57:59 PM »
OH NO, MrKymco, you don't really pound on your scoot like that do you?
arrrrgh!

you called it, Rianna. and thanks for your advice, i should have heeded it :(

stupid latch BROKE on me today. wtf do the chinese use for the damn thing, pewter?

i HATE this seat latch / lock / thingy !!

but i loves me scoot ::)

scoots!

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 01:29:38 PM »
It is not made to be slammed.

Even if the latch is a bit "off", it requires just adjustment using the screws that hold the latch in place, as is the case with every lock mechanism.

Not slamming.

p.s. Latch is part number 77232, costs around 4 US$.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 04:01:28 PM »
I am kind of glad mine didn't close properly as once I had dropped the keys in the bucket as I was doing the 'high drop' method. fortunately it didn't close  and now it can be opened with a secret wire that is attached to the other side on a washer through the bucket. I shimmed the receiving end of the latch and it works better now. I think the front hinge is the problem as it is so rickety. Everyone has a story about most anything. So that is my 2 cents. Next!!!

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 05:11:28 PM »
Ouch! Sorry to hear it, MrKymco. And yes, sadly, it does behave much like Pewter. :-\

Hope the next one fits better for ya!

Wow, sparko, I hope I'm as lucky as you, because I know one day I'm going to drop the keys in there just as I'm closing it! I've had that feeling since the first time I opened it. I REALLY have to get an extra key made! :D

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 02:13:00 AM »
Speaking of extra keys, someone mentioned to me that the kymco key can be cut on some japanese key blanks. This I heard after spending almost 50 dollars from my 'dealer' for 3 blank kymco keys. Susuki and Yamaha key blanks specifically I think were mentioned as being used instead of kymco. Anyone? why are these blanks so expensive? even on ebay they are real pricey.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 04:12:41 AM »
I have actually seen a couple of places online that sell the key blanks for about $5 or so and wondered what the difference was. I can't imagine the shipping for a blank key would be very high, even if several were ordered. I don't enough about keys to even say if ordering a few would be worth a try, though. It could be a waste of money. Maybe someone can enlighten us.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()