Author Topic: Help and advice needed  (Read 395 times)

Grunhagen

• View Profile
Help and advice needed
« on: August 26, 2022, 07:26:25 PM »
Hi all
I am new to the forum,I have inherited a 2003 kymco yup 50 with 8,000kms on the clock. The scooter was my sons who sadly passed away this year,he was maticulous and always had it serviced regular owning it from new. The problem I have is I am a lot bigger than he was and the scooter struggles but I am never getting rid of it as I will wait till my granddaughter is 16 then it’s hers. What I like to know what is best way or best cylinder kit to fit so it won’t struggle as much. I am 63 and my days of head down arse up and throttle back are long gone , please someone tell me what do I do for the best as I intend keeping it in the family forever.
Kindest regards to all
Geoff

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Help and advice needed
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 09:40:33 PM »
Hi all
I am new to the forum,I have inherited a 2003 kymco yup 50 with 8,000kms on the clock. The scooter was my sons who sadly passed away this year,he was maticulous and always had it serviced regular owning it from new. The problem I have is I am a lot bigger than he was and the scooter struggles but I am never getting rid of it as I will wait till my granddaughter is 16 then it’s hers. What I like to know what is best way or best cylinder kit to fit so it won’t struggle as much. I am 63 and my days of head down arse up and throttle back are long gone , please someone tell me what do I do for the best as I intend keeping it in the family forever.
Kindest regards to all
Geoff
I understand why you are keeping it and concur completely. You have several on this forum who lost children so you are in good company.

My opinion on hot rodding a 50 cc is don't bother unless you really want to tinker. You will do PLENTY of tinkering if yo go for a big bore and all that. Additionally, my opinion is if you prefer riding get yourself a bigger scoot (150 cc at least) and preserve the 50 for the grandgirl. Preserving meaning, remove ALL fuel from everything, remove battery and cover well.

My opinions are to be considered at your convenience and valued at what they cost you to read them!

Welcome to the group. There are some answers here somewhere.....
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 09:41:46 AM »
Welcome on board Grunhagen and so sorry for your loss, fortunately I can only imagine the pain of that loss.

Karl has nailed it in his response in my view.  Any modification for more power may affect reliability? Better to keep the 50 in as best condition possible for your Granddaughter and buy yourself a bigger cc scooter?  Added bonus, you could then use it in due course to accompany her on rides out?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 12:47:05 PM »
it may be appropriate to fog the cylinder
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 12:58:30 PM »
Eh Randy? As in put in a fog of oil?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2022, 01:22:45 PM »
Eh Randy? As in put in a fog of oil?

yes, or wd40 or similar

pull the plug, squirt some oil in, crank the piston up and down a few times put plug back in
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 01:24:29 PM by randyo »
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2022, 02:00:19 PM »
Ah, thought so.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2022, 02:09:49 PM »
Ah, thought so.

normally I think it is excessive, just for overwinter storage, but for a longer period, especially if it is not in climate controlled storage
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2022, 02:13:07 PM »
For anything >6 months I’d agree Randy.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2022, 05:51:06 PM »
I understand why you are keeping it and concur completely. You have several on this forum who lost children so you are in good company.

My opinion on hot rodding a 50 cc is don't bother unless you really want to tinker. You will do PLENTY of tinkering if yo go for a big bore and all that. Additionally, my opinion is if you prefer riding get yourself a bigger scoot (150 cc at least) and preserve the 50 for the grandgirl. Preserving meaning, remove ALL fuel from everything, remove battery and cover well.

My opinions are to be considered at your convenience and valued at what they cost you to read them!

Welcome to the group. There are some answers here somewhere.....

Agree.
Son kept it "meticulous"!
My vote is you save it that way for the 16 yr old!
It will be anything but as your son left it once you start down the road of short-lived 'more power.' People don't do BBKits to preserve or extend the life of a scooter.
Maybe you can enjoy it to putter around your neighborhood in quiet times?
Welcome to the forum.
Condolances for your loss. Truly.

Major Tom
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()