Author Topic: About the time I think I've got the deer figured out...  (Read 349 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
About the time I think I've got the deer figured out...
« on: August 27, 2022, 05:19:18 PM »
I was back in the my home city...passing the ball fields when I had to come to a complete stop to let these 4 deer clear the street in front of me. One wouldn't cross - until I gave it a little beep. They came out of the woods to my left....a thickly housed area! Broad daylight - 8:30 in the morning!

Note the policeman in his white squad car watching us.

50 yrds further I had to stop for 4 more crossing OUT of the ball fields and into the woods!!

I use this road for my coffee rides. It has few street lights and is pretty dark. I always think there might be deer here...from those woods. But until today I've never seen any!
I will go much slower from here on!

Goes into my mental log for deer sightings.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
Re: About the time I think I've got the deer figured out...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 07:02:36 PM »
any clover out there ?
RandyO
IBA#9560

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 08:15:21 PM »
It will take a long time but the doe I passed on a curvy road in Wisconsin needs to teach her offspring what she knows...

While riding on my way from Spring Green to Sauk City east bound on hwy 60 I came off a curve to a almost 1 mile straight section before another curve and right in the middle a doe came out of the dense trees and brush and stopped right on the shoulder of the road. A car was coming the other way so that we would pass each other just in front of that doe. The doe just stood there, and I was braking to avoid what I thought I knew would happen. The the doe just stood there and looked at me, and then at the car, and then at me, then at the car... as if waiting for when it was safe to cross. The car and I did pass, slowly, right in front of the doe and then continued on our way and I could see in my mirrors that the doe then proceeded to cross the road!  :o :-\

If only ALL deer would learn to do that.  ::)

I've had a few other times when deer crossed the road a tenth of a mile ahead of me and some more like 50 yards ahead. I want to keep it to no closer encounters than that. Those were plenty to experience.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 09:48:06 PM »
I did the slalom weave between 2 does a couple years ago, lucky for them I was on my bike, I woulda taken at least one out if I was in my truck, and no telling the damage to my truck

the best deer collision story, a former employee, had a small 3 series BMW coupe, driving at night on a back road one summer night, window open....

deer jumps into his window, he was going 50mph or so, deer is decapitated, head ends up in his lap, body of deer did most damage to rear quarter panel, blood everywhere, car was still drivable, I saw it when he showed up for work, morning after
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 12:47:14 AM »
I was back in the my home city...passing the ball fields when I had to come to a complete stop to let these 4 deer clear the street in front of me. One wouldn't cross - until I gave it a little beep. They came out of the woods to my left....a thickly housed area! Broad daylight - 8:30 in the morning!

Note the policeman in his white squad car watching us.

50 yrds further I had to stop for 4 more crossing OUT of the ball fields and into the woods!!

I use this road for my coffee rides. It has few street lights and is pretty dark. I always think there might be deer here...from those woods. But until today I've never seen any!
I will go much slower from here on!

Goes into my mental log for deer sightings.

Stig

It appears they were getting in their ball game before the fields get busy !!!!  I wonder if the cop knows the score??

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2022, 10:06:27 AM »
We get some deer strikes just south of where I am, but near here the main nighttime threat is a wandering badger!  The wood next to where I live has extensive badger setts and we’ve lost literally dozens of young ‘uns over the 20 years I’ve been here to cars on the road alongside the setts. So sad to see. We’ve also had several cats fall victim to cars - it’s supposed to be 30 mph limit for another 100m past our place, but they’re already gunning it as they pass our driveway! 🙁
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2022, 10:56:27 AM »
deer don't scare me as much as moose, the long legged creatures have a darker coat, and so tall, they are not in your sight line as much as a much smaller deer. I had a close friend killed in a collision with a moose 20 years ago. Animals on my street that I have seen in road, moose, black bear, white tail deer, eastern coyote, red fox, possum, skunk, raccoon, porcupine, are things I prefer not to hit, squirrels, snakes ok.

speed limit it 35, hardly anyone drives less than 45, avg is probably over 50
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2022, 12:25:14 PM »
We get some deer strikes just south of where I am, but near here the main nighttime threat is a wandering badger!  The wood next to where I live has extensive badger setts and we’ve lost literally dozens of young ‘uns over the 20 years I’ve been here to cars on the road alongside the setts. So sad to see. We’ve also had several cats fall victim to cars - it’s supposed to be 30 mph limit for another 100m past our place, but they’re already gunning it as they pass our driveway! 🙁
There's your winter project. ....obtain council approval to build a chicane in front of your property.
DIY/F-1.com has the plans for the enthusiast..

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2022, 12:39:26 PM »

Drove the pup out in the Silverado (it's listed as a "1500 Work Truck"....,full gauge package, 8' bed, rubber flooring, manual windows...perfect! 'Well done, FIL!")
To the reservoir for our dawn walk.
I had a talk with these folks...

They said they'd pass the word. "Large Yellow Man, is to be given clear passage!"

My pup loves these 8' tall whatever they are....

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2022, 12:53:50 PM »
On the subject of doggie likes, last night on her walk our Husky was pulling ripe blackberries off the bush and eating them!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2022, 01:03:02 PM »
On the subject of doggie likes, last night on her walk our Husky was pulling ripe blackberries off the bush and eating them!
She's been watching those pepper videos over your shoulder.
Smart pup!.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()