Author Topic: Brand New S9 time capsule! Need some tech help  (Read 833 times)

Dmitry

• View Profile
Brand New S9 time capsule! Need some tech help
« on: August 28, 2022, 02:05:10 PM »
I've been storing this for a friend last 12 years, it was never put on the road, maybe a test ride, but essentially brand new with only **4 miles** on it!
It wasn't going anywhere and I needed something to get around town that my girlfriend can ride, so we made a deal and it's mine now. Never had an automatic before, all my scoots in the past were vintage, nothing newer than 1980, plenty of 2 strokes, but CVT is not something that have much experience with.
It was stored WITH GAS in it! Not sure how old it is but it smells OK and bike actually fired up on what *I THINK* is 12 year old gasoline!
My past experience is that ethanol gas turns to Jello but this not only burns but there are no traces of any corrosion or crystalizing in the carb, jets are clean, so I drained and replaced the gas and took it for a ride.
Bike starts and idles fine, off the idle it spins up fine but then falls flat on it's face, feels like it's gonna stall unless I accelerate very slowly, still mid throttle it's very sluggish. If it's still on Auto-choke there is no mid-throttle sluggishness, it spins up and takes off like it should, but a minute later when choke turns off it's sluggish again, so I'm guessing carb does have some clogged passage or emulsion tube?
 If I get it spun up it will do 25-ish and actually run OK at full throttle, but not fast. Only other 50 with CVTs I ever rode was People 50 and Yup50 both would top 50mph, I assume S9 should go just as fast once derestricted, and this is where I get a lot of confusing info. It's a 2009, I don't even know where CDI is, also should I be clipping/unplugging wires or grinding/hacksawing through CDI or buying new one? Lot's of dead links due to age of the posts I'm finding. I also know there is restriction in the CVT but I was told that the ring does not easily come out, needs to be ground off or parts replaced? Also up-jet? Pipe? Different roller weights? Does anyone still sell any of those parts?
Appreciate any help, this is not a performance oriented build, just want to keep up with traffic which will occasionally hit 50 around town.

297067051-1102764720339927-3019707340594594551-n" border="0
299578768-416533740359993-4349970940913528150-n" border="0
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 02:11:09 PM by Dmitry »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Brand New S9 time capsule! Need some tech help
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 02:59:07 PM »
Welcome to the forum !
Colorful old scoot!
Are you certain that those other two 50's you rode were "topping 50mph"....and not 50 kph!!?
If truly 50mph - then they had been well and rarely breathed on!
Would be surprised if you'll top 50mph on your new 50....but, possible I guess.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Dmitry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 03:15:06 PM »
Welcome to the forum !
Colorful old scoot!
Are you certain that those other two 50's you rode were "topping 50mph"....and not 50 kph!!?
If truly 50mph - then they had been well and rarely breathed on!
Would be surprised if you'll top 50mph on your new 50....but, possible I guess.
Stig

I'm not sure what actual speed was, but I definitely saw 55mph on a speedo riding bone stock and well used People 50 2t, also riding in a group with other bikes I was able to keep up with 150-200cc Vespas/Lambrettas. I don't know how optimistic was that speedo but even at 45 it's a lot faster than 25 that I'm seeing indicated on this S9 AC
I've been riding 30+ years and I know what real speed feels like, also I know that every squid on 600 claims to have hit 180 mph and still had more to go but *insert excuse why they backed out* also I know the difference form 25 to 50-ish, even with smaller wheels I expect that S9 should be nearly twice s fast as it is now. I'm not chasing the top speed, just want it useable, don't want my GF having to feather the throttle to get it moving while some impatient tourists are trying to run her over. Figured pipe and variator mods will make it peppier, also she has a MC license and had big bikes, but as I discovered more than 20 years ago, scooters are much easier to get around on than full size MC, less attention form Johnny Law as well.

Looking for recommendation for vendors and some info about CDI derestrict

Dmitry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 03:27:38 PM »

Colorful old scoot!

Did I mention that I'm from Ukraine? Seem to be collecting Blue & Yellow bikes because it's always been my favorite colors, this is another one I got because of the color (long sad story)
20201003-180042" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>upload[/url]

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 03:31:12 PM »
wow, that old scoot is beautiful! Love the paint job.

I would start with a thorough carb cleaning. There's no way gas sat in that for 12+ years without gumming up something. Some of us have had to clean a carb 3 or 4 times before it is truly clean. I'd also want to make sure there wasn't anything slowing fuel flow down through the vacuum petcock. Wonder if you can see into the tank to make sure the little plastic filter thing in the petcock isn't gummed up?

I'd also open up the cvt and make sure rollers are free to move, belt is good and clutch looks good.

As far as speed - 26 mph is slow..and might have something to do with fueling or cvt trans. 50 mph on a 50cc 4 stroke? I wouldn't count on it, ever. I think low 30's is probably the target speed.

The usual reply here as to how to go faster on a 50cc is to trade it on a 150cc. 

(just saw you're from Ukraine - wishing you and all your fellow countrymen the best in these terrible times, we're on your side)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 03:33:00 PM by Iahawk »
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2022, 05:20:40 PM »
“ (just saw you're from Ukraine - wishing you and all your fellow countrymen the best in these terrible times, we're on your side)”

We’ll said Hawk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Dmitry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2022, 06:22:19 PM »
wow, that old scoot is beautiful! Love the paint job.

I would start with a thorough carb cleaning. There's no way gas sat in that for 12+ years without gumming up something. Some of us have had to clean a carb 3 or 4 times before it is truly clean. I'd also want to make sure there wasn't anything slowing fuel flow down through the vacuum petcock. Wonder if you can see into the tank to make sure the little plastic filter thing in the petcock isn't gummed up?

I'd also open up the cvt and make sure rollers are free to move, belt is good and clutch looks good.
I did clean the carb again this morning and the stumble is gone YAY! While I was at it I opened the CVT so make sure mice didn't do what they did to the airbox (some nuts and poop) and CVT looks clean, no corrosion, everything moves free. While I had it open borrowed an impact from the neighbor and removed the restrictor (ground off the shoulder from the pin) now it goes 30! Rollers are mint, no signs of use or wear, less than 10 miles on them.
Also checked petcock when I drained the tank, I disconnected both hoses and applied vacuum, petcock opens with very little vacuum and fuel flowing pretty rapidly. Used siphon to "vacuum" the bottom of the tank and found nothing, no sediment or water.

As far as speed - 26 mph is slow..and might have something to do with fueling or cvt trans. 50 mph on a 50cc 4 stroke? I wouldn't count on it, ever. I think low 30's is probably the target speed.

This is 2 stroke and every scoot that I mentioned, People 50 and Yup 50 that I rode, 2t is what makes it so fun, never owned or interested in a 4 stroke scooter.
Same friend has a brand new Rattler 110, also 2 stroke, I'm thinking about making him an offer on that as well.

The usual reply here as to how to go faster on a 50cc is to trade it on a 150cc. 
LOL, I don't need to scratch any speed itches, got plenty of fast toys (cars, bikes, sleds) just want to get the most out of this scoot without going overboard. Also despite of my vast vehicle collection I'm not rich, just poor impulse control and ability to fix things, almost everything that I own was a fixer-upper.

(just saw you're from Ukraine - wishing you and all your fellow countrymen the best in these terrible times, we're on your side)

I've been living here 31 years but I still have friends back home in Odessa, everyone is alive, surviving, seem to be optimistic about the outcome. It's a scary thought that we can have war, death and destruction in this modern day and age just because there is a mad man in charge.

Found CDI under the battery box, pics below, I'm guessing its the one that needs to be cut/ground? Still thinking about the pipe and jetting?

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2022, 09:42:43 PM »
glad it's running better...I personally LOVE the smell and sound of 2 strokes ( I have a Toro snow blower and a Stihl trimmer in 2 stroke)! I didn't realize yours was a 2 stroke...I don't know much at all about hot rodding a 50cc 2 smoke...but good luck!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Dmitry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2022, 10:35:06 PM »
glad it's running better...I personally LOVE the smell and sound of 2 strokes ( I have a Toro snow blower and a Stihl trimmer in 2 stroke)! I didn't realize yours was a 2 stroke...I don't know much at all about hot rodding a 50cc 2 smoke...but good luck!

2 stroke smoke should be sold as perfume! I also got Toro snowblower and Stihl trimmer as well, also few 2T vespas, KTM250, NSR250R and RG500... you can say I'm into 2 strokes...

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2022, 02:44:35 AM »
2 stroke smoke should be sold as perfume!

haha, best line of the night!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Dmitry

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2022, 02:20:52 AM »
So, I found a stash of CDI's at the old shop, one of them has same TYC-D421 stamped on top and a green wire loop that can be unplugged, note says "speed control CDI", gonna try that one, hope I can break 30mph
Also found a ton of rollers, bag of Original Kymco 8.5gr with a note "Super9" and many Malossi sets, some wicked heavy, some light, I think 4.1gr was lightest one I found, I'm guessing lighter rollers=more rpm (more powah)?

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2022, 05:31:29 AM »
I'm guessing lighter rollers=more rpm (more powah)?

Don't open that can o' worms again on here!  😂😂
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Dmitry

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2022, 01:11:02 AM »
Tried the "speed control" CDI but it's dead, wire plugged in or not, no spark, quite disappointing. I'm in Maine amd spare CDI's at the shop in RI, will bring ALL of them up next week

Don't open that can o' worms again on here!  😂😂

I bought 3 CVT vehicles this year (Subaru, Sled and this S9) but have no practical knowledge on how the variator works, only a theory. I'm guessing there is a solid data on what happens when you change parameters, this got to be less complicated than 2 stroke tuning since there are only 3(?) variables: roller weights, spring contracting the weights and little springs in the back part, whatever it's called, looks like brake shoes. Those I understand set the engagement point, but the weight and spring on the front pulley I don't quite understand.

Dmitry

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2022, 01:16:11 AM »
Also I have acquired another S9! This one is LC, has bunch of performance parts, not quite sure what's on the inside but it has a pipe, water temp gauge, some foam air filter that had completely fallen apart and seems we lost the keys in the move. I'm guessing 70cc and some aftermarket carb, but I didn't have time to look closely. Previous owner may still have a spare and I'm hoping he can find them, not sure what exactly I have to do if he can't, but not looking forward to drilling and replacing ignition cylinder.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2022, 02:12:53 PM »
it sounds like someone has a 2 stroke addiction...I love it!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()