Author Topic: Locked Key In Trunk and succesfully retrieved but now I need a spare  (Read 993 times)

william1313

• View Profile
I want to share and interesting story.  I went on my first vacation in 2 years to Portugal.   There were tons of motor bikes there but I only saw one Kymco.   (attached).    Sardines are a big thing in Portugal so I bought many cans to bring home to friends.   After my vacation I loaded the seat trunk of my Peoples 50 4T with Sardines and planned on making a deliveries.   I must have been jet lagged because the for the first time in a decade I locked the keys in the trunk.
I tried several things on the internet but could not break in.   Finally I found one blog about a guy who attached magnets to a coat hanger and got his keys out.   First I pryed open the seat about 3/4" and kept it open with a plastic spatula. Next,  I attached a magnet to an electrical fishing line (yellow) and went fishing.
After a few minutes of out and in and out I heard a "click" and noticed the line felt a little heavier.   Once I got the keys to the crack I took a coat hanger with a small hook and put it through the key ring.   Next I pulled and twisted and I could not believe it.....I got my keys back.   I immediately went to Home Depot (after delivering the Sardines) and had a spare key made but.....It did not work.   So those those of you who did not fall asleep with my long story,  Please help me find a blank for Peoples 50 cc 4T.   I know nothing about left hand keys which I keep on finding.   Here is a picture of my key.    Thank you
Bill
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 10:27:54 PM by william1313 »

airshot

• View Profile
Re: Locked Key In Trunk and succesfully retrieved but now I need a spare
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 11:12:34 PM »
Find a good locksmith, the big box stores cant make anything but a simple house key anymore.  I have made spare keys for my boat, enclosed trailer, SxS and numerous other toys and the big box/ local hdwe store could not make any of them !!  I have a good commercial locksmith not to far and he was able to make all ofvthe keys I needed.  Keys are not cheap anymore, most are 10 bucks each in my area....a spare key ( fob type) for my Jeep was 140 bucks...ouch !!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 11:14:57 PM »
I have always found spares for my 4 scooters on ebay (Honda, Kymco, Suzuki, Piaggio)
Yeah, from China...and every one of the keys worked.
Pay attention to the photos .....get the correct blank for your hardware store to cut.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

william1313

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 11:28:01 PM »
I have always found spares for my 4 scooters on ebay (Honda, Kymco, Suzuki, Piaggio)
Yeah, from China...and every one of the keys worked.
Pay attention to the photos .....get the correct blank for your hardware store to cut.

Stig

Thanks Air Strong and Stig / Major Tom
My key can be used for the ignition or to pop the trunk.   I do not understand how to figure out if its a left or right

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 12:29:20 AM »
speaking of keys..my S200 came with 2 factory keys but only 1 works. They look absolutely identical and when held up are the exact same profile..but only 1 works...weird.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2022, 12:52:06 AM »
Thanks Air Strong and Stig / Major Tom
My key can be used for the ignition or to pop the trunk.   I do not understand how to figure out if its a left or right
Just look closely at the longitudinal groove (s) on your key.
You then  look closely at the key blanks offered for sale on eBay.
MATCH  the grooves. The sellers know those grooves are different for certain keys....they usually sell more than one type blank.
left, right...no matter. MATCH the grooves on your key to the uncut blank.

Stig
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 12:58:17 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2022, 03:10:19 AM »
Also sounds like you need to add an emergency seat latch release cable. I've added one to my Burgman 650 as well as my AK for exactly this situation. Not likely something that would work to put on a trunk (top case) but definitely the seat for getting into the under seat storage box. I put a thread on here somewhere on doing that on my AK, I think in the technical section. The end can be hidden somewhere under the bodywork but still easy to get to for the one who knows where to look... or feel for it.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

william1313

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2022, 05:01:23 PM »
Just look closely at the longitudinal groove (s) on your key.
You then  look closely at the key blanks offered for sale on eBay.
MATCH  the grooves. The sellers know those grooves are different for certain keys....they usually sell more than one type blank.
left, right...no matter. MATCH the grooves on your key to the uncut blank.

Stig

So my keys have grooves on both sides  but the groove is always on right when I point the metal part at me and on the left when I point the plastic part to me.    Which way do I read this.   I feel dumb
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 05:04:17 PM by william1313 »

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2022, 06:43:17 PM »
So my keys have grooves on both sides  but the groove is always on right when I point the metal part at me and on the left when I point the plastic part to me.    Which way do I read this.   I feel dumb

Wait a minute.
If there is a grove on both sides then there will be a grove on both sides regardless if you point the metal end or plastic end toward you. Looks like the key can be inserted with the English version of the Kymco name pointing left or right and it will be the same either way... just like my last 4 bikes (2 Hondas and 2 Burgmans).

Take that key to the locksmith and they will know what key to get for you.

Then get on installing the emergency seat latch release. Read this to get a good idea of what is needed for this. Obviously your scooter will be different but the idea is the same.
https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=32376.0

/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

william1313

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 06:51:10 PM »
Wait a minute.
If there is a grove on both sides then there will be a grove on both sides regardless if you point the metal end or plastic end toward you. Looks like the key can be inserted with the English version of the Kymco name pointing left or right and it will be the same either way... just like my last 4 bikes (2 Hondas and 2 Burgmans).

Take that key to the locksmith and they will know what key to get for you.

Then get on installing the emergency seat latch release. Read this to get a good idea of what is needed for this. Obviously your scooter will be different but the idea is the same.
https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=32376.0

I know the bottom line here is a locksmith but when I said the groove was on both sides I meant front and back not left and right so the groove does change sides depending if you look from head to tail or tail to head.   Thank you.  I will put a latch but my main concern is having a backup key incase I simply misplace it. 

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2022, 10:58:46 PM »
I know the bottom line here is a locksmith but when I said the groove was on both sides I meant front and back not left and right so the groove does change sides depending if you look from head to tail or tail to head.   Thank you.  I will put a latch but my main concern is having a backup key incase I simply misplace it.
Please.....look at some Kymco key blanks being sold by sellers on eBay. For most Kymcos there are two kinds of blanks. Lay yours on the table...look at the ebay seller's photos.
Hellsbells...buy em both...you'll be out $10....then off you go to hardware store.
You're not dumb...just stubborn 🙃
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2022, 01:13:13 PM »
eBay.

Stig
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 01:18:37 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

william1313

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2022, 02:00:31 AM »
eBay.

Stig

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bill

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2022, 07:00:53 AM »
Well done Stig. Another satisfied customer!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2022, 04:20:00 PM »
The Like 150I has a shutter that can be (accidentally?) tripped to cover the key slot.
The (maybe) only way to get this shutter open is by using the knobby thing on the OEM key.
Purchased new, you get two keys and a tag listing the key number.
Like 150i ABS

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()