Author Topic: UK MoT  (Read 332 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
UK MoT
« on: September 02, 2022, 10:24:25 AM »
The annual MoT here in the UK or compulsory vehicle testing, was introduced in Great Britain in 1960 when the Motor Vehicles (Tests) Regulations 1960 came into operation. The test was initially confined to vehicles that were ten years old or more, but the testable age was progressively reduced to three years by April 1967.  It's known colloquially as the "MoT" as the Govt department which introduced the test was the then Ministry of Transport.  I'm sure something similar exists in the US?

Why am telling you all this?  Because, at three years old this month my X-Town 300 is due for its first test this afternoon.  It got me to thinking that, in all the years I've been riding, I have never once had a bike or scooter fail its MoT.  The same cannot be said for my cars!

How can that be?  My own theory is that I'm probably more particular about maintenance on my two-wheelers and, let's face it, they're far more mechanically straightforward than your average modern four wheeler?  Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 10:26:17 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: UK MoT
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 11:40:44 AM »
My county built 2 new testing facilities to do annual emissions testing.
Price was @$30.
They put your car on a rolling road thing, run it up to various speeds with a probe in the tail pipe. Then they checked then smelled at the gas cap.
My old Jetta II failed at one station. Stopped at auto parts store. Dumped bottle of chevron cleaner in the tank. Drove like Shumacher to the 2nd facility....and it passed.
Discontinued them a few yrs ago.
Basically,  if you can get it rolling down hill, raise your left hand and swear you know someone with insurance .....you're good to go.
We do not take vehicles or guns away from Amerikans under any circumstances by gawd!
Stig
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 11:44:43 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 12:12:20 PM »
I've seen some of the tyres taken off MoT failures here Stig.  TBH the thought of some of these barrelling down a 70 mph motorway scares the Bejassus outta me!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 12:44:23 PM »
no state inspections here in Iowa, either. We did away with vehicle inspections at least 40 years ago or more. It is frightening knowing there are vehicles in such poor condition running down the road next to you.

I recently found another youtube channel I find amusing..'just rolled in'..its a collection of clips submitted by mechanics at shops where they show the ridiculous things they encounter on a daily basis. Bald tires, tires with holes 'repaired' with duct tape, broken suspension pieces, broken wheels, all manner of wildlife hiding in the cars, broken everything! Many of these customers also decline repairs on these obvious problems..

So maybe the MoT type inspection isn't such a bad idea after all! The alternative is what we have around here..!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

NorWeWa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2022, 01:53:22 PM »
The evap canister gives owners issues on some scooters, and gets removed. This doesn't seem to be a problem with the Downtown 300i I just bought.  Most of the vehicles that would fail pollution testing around here are the big 4-wheel drive trucks.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2022, 06:42:56 PM »
There was vehicle inspection in Memphis, TN a few years back in the 80's. I thought it was a good idea that would remove the junker death traps from the road. Wrong! Half the equipment would not work, the other half would not work properly. What may have been good intentions was just another money trap to fleece the public.

I, too, have had little trouble with the Kymco evap system. Related to that the vaccuum fuel tank vent valve has driven  me crazy on several models and brands.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2022, 12:18:10 AM »
I failed an inspection once when living in Virginia. After waiting ~2 hours in line I finally got my turn. Failed because there was only one bolt holding each fog light on. Went home and scrounged through my hardware bin for 2 suitable bolts so I could go back to the inspection site and wait in line again. What a wasted day.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2022, 12:49:14 PM »
I have never had to get any motorcycle or scooter inspected.  I have lived in 10 different states.  The only car inspection I have ever had to do was emissions checks when I lived in the Atlanta area.  No inspections of any kind required here in Alabama.  With the number of vehicles/bikes I own getting them inspected every year would be a major PITA.  I'm so glad I live where I do.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2022, 01:13:41 PM »
In the 60's in Massachusetts they had yearly (if I recall correctly) road safety inspections.
These cost one or two $, and were carried out at many of the gas stations. Remember...when they all had lifts and actually could fix your car?!
These inspection filling stations were everywhere....never much of a wait. A sign out front informed you that they were a state authorized station.
They put your car on the lift to check suspension fittings, exhaust,  leaks, tire tread depth, brakes, etc.
 On the ground they checked high/low beams (including aiming!), brake and tail lights, wiper function & the blades, horn, turn signals,  etc.
They were thorough...I  think they received some $ from the State....and if all was good ...you were out in the time in took to smoke a Camel.
You received a sticker. License plates were good for more than a year.
Stig
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 01:23:38 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2022, 09:06:47 AM »
P{retty much what's checked here Stig, plus we have checks on emissions, horn, seat belts, indicators etc.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()