Author Topic: I stopped and visited with these folks this morning  (Read 366 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
I stopped and visited with these folks this morning
« on: September 10, 2022, 04:17:34 PM »

The VA manned counselling centers with Vietnam veterans and placed them in store-fronts - knowing that 'Nam vets  would never visit any VA grounds. I made use of one of these store-front centers in Dayton - attending sessions for medics and nurses.

I don't think the VA is doing enough for all the Gulf War veterans - many of whom had multiple deployments.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
Re: I stopped and visited with these folks this morning
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 11:09:23 PM »
When I was in Virginia, there were many news articles about Walter Reed/Bethesda care for physically injured vets. Not so much regarding returning vets mental health. Support for the VA has been sadly lacking, and in turn, the VA does not support the vets as they should.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 11:46:43 PM »
Being tagged with PTSD by several vet reps years ago, intervention by then Senator Fred Thompson brought results, as they were, for that and other maladies inflicted from years in ships and Vietnam. The PTSD "treatment" was a cartoon of activity involving a 15 minutes with a bonafide shrink who prescribed two drugs (as he did with all PTSD patients) whom I never saw again. My biggest strides ridding my "boogie man" was group BS sessions with other vets possessing survivor's guilt, substance abuse issues and a general distrust of typical military "leadership."

I can only imagine what kind of indifference the VA has shown to the Desert Vets of the 90's and 2000's.....
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 02:50:39 AM »

I left my scooter at home, changed out of my gear, went back downtown and talked with the man from the county veterans office. (Light blue shirt)
He explained that this was for veterans of all eras, so I did a 30 min stint as a silent watch over the casket.....as this fellow was doing.
Honestly - couldn't have stood at attention 2 mins longer.

This was the 5th year for this vigil.
Stig
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 11:05:30 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 09:03:43 AM »
Good for you Stig.

I have a good friend in our village who did tours in NI & elsewhere coming out of the Service with PTSD and he’s written a book about his experiences. The book launch is next month.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/soldiering-on-a-journey-with-ptsd-an-autobiography-by-nathan-bate-tickets-415519268317
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 01:18:40 AM »
From one vet to another, thank you for your service and thank you for caring enough to stand one more watch.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 12:18:38 PM »
From one vet to another, thank you for your service and thank you for caring enough to stand one more watch.
As always - it was an honor.
After more than half a century - I can barely recall the faces of young men I served with over there.
Now I'm riding a scooter made there.
Names of all but 3 are gone.

It's a dichotomy -  while the horrors of it all are not forgotten -  I also think that those of my contemporaries who did not show up, for whatever reason, missed out on the most significant experience of our generation.
I've even heard a few wonder, "did I miss something?"
Yeah, you did.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Grumpy old man

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 06:40:20 AM »
I totally agree that the VA needs to step up it's efforts to assist those who were f***ed over for this government and country.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()