Author Topic: AK550 Replacement Fob ?  (Read 1202 times)

Luckyword

• View Profile
AK550 Replacement Fob ?
« on: September 12, 2022, 11:40:38 PM »
Does anyone know how/where to get a replacement AK550 FOB?

I had two FOBs, then, yesterday, my key fell out of a pocket while riding. I keep an airtag on it, and, hours later, was able to locate it, but it had been run over many times.

So I am down to one FOB. I'm definitely going to be more careful.

Any ideas on best place to order a second FOB? Thanks.

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
Re: AK550 Replacement Fob ?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 01:12:00 AM »
Have you checked with your dealer? Is there a part number or code on the fob you have?

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 01:18:56 AM »
Don't know if it is possible to just get a fob and make it work on the system. No information on how to make a new fob communicate to the original radio and I haven't seen just a single fob or even a pair of them available.
I think you'd have to get the keyless system that includes the radio for the bike and 2 fobs.
You can find a lot of the parts for the AK at Taiwan Big Scooter shop: https://taiwanbigscootershop.com/collections/ak550/products/kymco-original-parts-keyless-system-ak550?variant=39519530254435
Cost is $290 + shipping. Based on other sources I've seen this is actually a good price.

I always, ALWAYS, put my fob in a zippered pocket and am paranoid enough about loosing the fob or even my wallet or phone (if that isn't in the glove box charging) so I am always checking my pockets to ensure they are zipped shut. Oh, and I always wear full gear when riding that includes zippered pockets in my jacket and riding pants.

BTW- if that mangled fob still has the round antenna sticker in the case it is still good to turn on your AK. Just set the part with the sticker on the inside against the circle pattern on top the right glove box and the bike will turn on for you. No need to have a good battery or any other part of the fob. I tested this using just the one half of the shell that had that sticker and was able to turn on my AK doing this. No need to even have the plastic fob shell. I imagine that it would work fine with that sticker alone so if you have that you can stick it on anything just to keep it protected from use.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Luckyword

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 05:06:20 AM »
Bob wrote: I always, ALWAYS, put my fob in a zippered pocket and am paranoid enough about loosing the fob or even my wallet or phone (if that isn't in the glove box charging) so I am always checking my pockets to ensure they are zipped shut. Oh, and I always wear full gear when riding that includes zippered pockets in my jacket and riding pants.

BTW- if that mangled fob still has the round antenna sticker in the case it is still good to turn on your AK. Just set the part with the sticker on the inside against the circle pattern on top the right glove box and the bike will turn on for you. No need to have a good battery or any other part of the fob. I tested this using just the one half of the shell that had that sticker and was able to turn on my AK doing this. No need to even have the plastic fob shell. I imagine that it would work fine with that sticker alone so if you have that you can stick it on anything just to keep it protected from use.

Hi Bob,

Wow, thank you so much!!! Immediately after reading your post, I excitedly went and took the mangled FOB, put it atop the circle on the glove box, and it turns on the AK!!! Just like you said it would! :) I'm so relieved, as I now still thankfully have two FOBs to start the bike! I feel so relieved!

I'm typically much more disciplined about keeping my FOB in a zippered pocket - this was a highly, highly irregular occurrence for me.

I called the dealer today, but they didn't pick up (called a few times).

I almost didn't even post, because I felt like such a nudge for losing a FOB in the first place. Glad I had an airtag attached, and glad I kept the mangled pieces, lol!

I'm so glad I posted, and so glad you responded! Thank you, Bob!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 05:13:55 AM by Luckyword »

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 03:41:47 PM »
 ;D

After I installed the emergency seat latch release (posted a thread on doing that on the forum) I put my spare fob in a RFID pouch I bought on Amazon and keep that under the seat. The RFID pouch prevents that fob from being detected by the bike. The seat latch release cable I installed is hidden so normally no one walking past will ever know it's there.

I bought a 2 pk of the RFID pouch so I carry the other one for the fob I'm using (but only when I am not currently using it of course).
https://a.co/d/bTJiary
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 03:49:31 PM by rjs987 »
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()