Author Topic: Do you wear your helmet into places?  (Read 525 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Do you wear your helmet into places?
« on: September 19, 2022, 12:37:39 AM »
 I do, all the time. Modular helmet open.....McDonald's , Tim Hortons, villiage grocers, gas stations, Taco Bell, coffee shops*.....take-out,  or if shopping for a few minutes.
No one freaks...not once.
Leaves both hands free. Keeps my head warm in winter, helmet secure.
Stig
*One winter morning with my helmet on, I was greeted as "Space Man" at Dino's coffee shop....which became David Bowie's, "Major Tom"!
Which has stuck....
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 12:42:13 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Do you wear your helmet into places?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 12:58:53 AM »
I do, all the time. Modular helmet open.....McDonald's , Tim Hortons, villiage grocers, gas stations, Taco Bell, coffee shops*.....take-out,  or if shopping for a few minutes.
No one freaks...not once.
Leaves both hands free. Keeps my head warm in winter, helmet secure.
Stig
*One winter morning with my helmet on, I was greeted as "Space Man" at Dino's coffee shop....which became David Bowie's, "Major Tom"!
Which has stuck....
All depends on how big their eyes get the first time! Especially places that have been robbed before. And NEVER into a bank!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 01:49:23 AM »
sometimes into the post office, when I'm only going into the lobby to retrieve my mail from my PO box

any other time, it comes off, if I'm going into a convenience store, it's only to grab a snack that my helmet has to come off to eat.

in Ironbutt rides, every gas stop, my helmet comes off, to pay in store, I get off to stretch my legs and jaw, makes the next 3 hours more comfortable. I'm not one of those riders that pulls up to a pump, sticks his card in and gasses up without getting off

if for one reason alone, I have personally observed gas spillage and fire, the rider was lucky, there were a couple people (closer than me) to pull him away and get the fire suppression going. He got away with singed gonads, no, not for me, a lesson learned by someone else's mistake
RandyO
IBA#9560

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 03:42:29 AM »
Sometimes, but not very often. Usually to run into the gas station convenience store to get the receipt if the pump fails to print one or to pick up a quick snack to take along and eat later. But usually I do take it off when going into a store for longer than one or two minutes. I wear a full face helmet so no chin bar to lift, only the visor.

And on that other subject, I do also always put my bike on the side stand and get OFF the bike to refuel. One big reason was already given above, but I also find it easier to manage pumping the gas when I don't also have to balance the bike. Besides, I really really don't like putting that pump nozzle between my legs...  :o
Oh, and I do leave my helmet on for that.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 08:33:49 AM »
Not usually. Mine’s generally the FF HJC so can’t flip it up.  Fuelling I leave it on as I pay at the pump - centre stand and off the scooter!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 12:30:49 PM »
nope, have never worn a helmet inside a place of business...and I refuel just as Neil described.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 02:48:48 PM »
    I only wear a half helmet, so it always comes off wherever I stop. I'm also always off the scooter to fuel up.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 05:48:20 PM »
All depends on how big their eyes get the first time! Especially places that have been robbed before. And NEVER into a bank!
After 30+ years my credit union knows me on sight.....over the years I've done s lot of construction in their office, but I'm never on my scooter at the bank....and usually don't wear it in the Silvertornado 1500.....unless I'm feeling faint🙃
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

NorWeWa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2022, 09:15:59 PM »
If I have may helmet on 99% of the time I have ear plugs in and with my very poor hearing I'm deaf.

Art 

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2022, 10:25:55 PM »

our small town credit union, I could probably get away with my helmet inside, all the tellers recognize me with a "Hi Randy" greeting when I use the drive thru with my helmet on. (especially now with my Icon Bug Chucker) They have a sign on their entry door that says "no hats" that no one pays attention to.
RandyO
IBA#9560

Kahuna_550

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2022, 04:22:40 PM »
Nah man, I think its weird personally. Even if it's a quick stop inside, how hard is it to take it off?

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2022, 02:14:46 AM »
2 or 3 times to go into the service station to get a receipt when they were too lazy to refill the roll in the pump.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2022, 12:52:34 AM »
2 or 3 times to go into the service station to get a receipt when they were too lazy to refill the roll in the pump.

Did exactly this a few times on my 1348 mile round trip from Iowa to AR and back.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()