Author Topic: Favourite Foreign Road  (Read 425 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Favourite Foreign Road
« on: September 30, 2022, 02:31:05 PM »
Talking roads on here earlier with IAHawk, it struck me that a number of us have had the privilege of riding roads that are not native to us and that got me to wondering where your favourite road(s) were that are not in your country of residence?

I'll kick this off by giving you my most enjoyable road to ride which was chanced upon about 20 years ago in the Picos Mountains (Spain) while on my way from the port of Santander to Portugal.  Using the N621 you leave the coast road and pass to the south of the Picos National Park and (then) it was a perfectly surfaced road full of switchbacks and sweeping bends.  Biking Nirvana on board my Triumph Daytona T595.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite Foreign Road
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 08:07:40 PM »
Not me but a member here years ago by name Vivo sent a picture of one section of road to Baguio, Phillippines that had switchbacks and looked fun!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 10:06:04 PM »
sadly, I've not ridden on a foreign road...I haven't even ridden on a road that is not in the state of Iowa, where I live! Someday I will...someday...
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2022, 03:59:30 AM »
can't really have a favorite, I've only spent a few hours in Quebec's Eastern Townships, north of the border from Pittsburg, NH and Jackman, ME
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2022, 05:44:49 PM »

Well, my most memorable ride on a foreign road ....was anything but a favorite memory.*

Some decades ago two teenagers borrowed a giant old oily Peugeot motorbike from the Gare de Saint-Germain-en-Laye (train station) in the suburbs of Paris, France.....for a 2AM ride home after we'd missed the last bus.
Using google maps and consulting with my fellow felon who now lives....well, he wishes to remain 'lost'....and reconstructing the scene of the crime - we concluded that we piloted that Peugeot no more than a few hundred meters eastbound on Rue Jeanne d'Arc - before the Gendarmes circled us to a stop with their small fleet of navy blue Peugeot 404 estate wagons.

At that point the rightful unpleasantness began.....as did my embarrassment because though we'd managed to get the bike started - I could not figure out how to shut it off!

So, "My favorite foreign ride was a few hundred meters down old Joan Ark's street!" (I didn't fare a whole lot better than she did, after my father collected me from the Gendarmes)

Stig

PS:*
My dear 96 year old mother loves to share the details of my crime (s) every Xmas with my extended family.

PPS: 'How were we so quickly arrested?" you ask.
Much hated Charles Andre' Joseph Marie de Gaulle, after repeated assassination attempts, was scheduled to speak from a platform in front of the train  station the next day. The Gendarmes were watching the scene from roof-tops to see how many bombs were placed there over night.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 05:52:03 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 09:23:57 AM »
Great story Stig. It gets better every time you tell it!  Could see it guesting in a rewrite of “Day of the Jackel”.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2022, 11:15:34 AM »
Great story Stig. It gets better every time you tell it!  Could see it guesting in a rewrite of “Day of the Jackel”.
My mother, dear woman - shared my crime once again, this time with my BIL & Sil in attendance. across our Easter dinner table...
This after I drove 2 hours to bring her.
I'm thinking it's time to add a high speed chase across the dark streets of Paris....ending with my capture at the Sacre' Coeur....maybe with some gun play...and some amazing jumps, where Kevin is dislodged...and escapes capture!
I'm going to work on it....
Major Tom
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 03:21:40 PM »
Sounds exciting and worthy of Frederick Forsyth!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 02:04:10 AM »
Like @Iahawk, I’ve no such experience having ridden in only Virginia and Ohio.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 03:43:35 PM »
My best rides so far have been in the UK, but the coast road around County Antrim in Northern Ireland were pretty fantastic. I think I missed the best of the roads in Southern Ireland, somehow.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2022, 04:33:02 PM »
My best rides so far have been in the UK, but the coast road around County Antrim in Northern Ireland were pretty fantastic. I think I missed the best of the roads in Southern Ireland, somehow.

You didn't do the Ring of Kerry?!  Serious oversight.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()