Author Topic: "Calling in 'sick' tomorrow & going for a scooter ride!"  (Read 940 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
"Calling in 'sick' tomorrow & going for a scooter ride!"
« on: September 30, 2022, 08:42:16 PM »
My arm was killing me from the flu shot - my butt was sore from another shot earlier in the day.
Laying in bed, whining, I hollered, "Honey, I'm calling in sick tomorrow!"
From somewhere I heard, "Dad, you quit that job 6 years ago!"

"Yeah - still ..... I'm going to call tonight and leave a message on that jackasses' phone at work.....then I'm going to ride by tomorrow - sounding my scooter's horn all the way past the building!"

"OK dear, if you need to....."

"I do. My arm feels better already."

See if I can find some more deer....

Stig
(in almost 30 years I almost never called in sick. Cashed out over 1200 hours of sick time when I left.)

« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 08:44:10 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: "Calling in 'sick' tomorrow & going for a scooter ride!"
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 08:49:24 AM »
Must be our generation Stig. In 34 years with the same employer, I only had two one week bouts off sick.  One with pharyngitis when my job was sales & solely on the phone and one week off when I had my carotid artery opened up to remove a blockage. That op gave me a free pass never to wear a tie at work again!

I’ll be getting my scooter out later to go for my ‘flu / Covid booster shot too. Might have to take the scenic route…
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 08:52:55 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 11:10:01 AM »
Must be our generation Stig. In 34 years with the same employer, I only had two one week bouts off sick.  One with pharyngitis when my job was sales & solely on the phone and one week off when I had my carotid artery opened up to remove a blockage. That op gave me a free pass never to wear a tie at work again!

I’ll be getting my scooter out later to go for my ‘flu / Covid booster shot too. Might have to take the scenic route…
I consider myself very fortunate to have been with the same employer for 3 decades. Not sure that this will be possible for many people these days.
Stig
PS: I'd forgotten that my stupivisor doesn't come to work until 8 AM. I am out riding long before that. I did offer a nicely inappropriate gesture up to his office window when passing 🙃
And no, I didn't spend 3 decades under that nazi...just my final few months.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 09:16:09 AM »
Been in bed since 21:00 hrs yesterday following my 2 shots. As far as I can tell no issues with the Covid one, but the ‘flu one has given me flu-like symptoms!  Hoping it fades later today as it’s been a while since I’ve slept for nearly 12 straight hours!

PS. I used your calling in sick gag with the wife this morning and got a laugh. Thanks.

Update: Got up at 10am. Breakfast then we (very slowly on my part) walked the dogs. Gave in at 14:00 hrs and came back to bed and slept. Can’t recall either the first 3 Covid shots or last winter’s ’flu jab having this effect on me 🙁
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 06:47:06 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 09:53:43 AM »
I was self employed for most of my career, no such thing as a sick day. However, I did use my bikes for business use, (fwiw, IRS allowable motorcycle mile rate is up to 60½¢/mile now) I had to visit job sites, check on crews, travel to county courthouse, regularly, sometimes between 30k-35k miles/ year.... ya, I have taken 15k deductions for motorcycle mileage 8)
RandyO
IBA#9560

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 01:24:32 AM »
(in almost 30 years I almost never called in sick. Cashed out over 1200 hours of sick time when I left.)

Interesting. In ~45 years of work, none of the companies I worked at allowed employees to sell back sick time. Vacations were capped at 3 - 4 weeks. Sick time was capped at 80 hours. And the remaining sick and vacation time was use it or lose it. My wife worked for the county in the school system and she was able to accrue sick time. When she got sick and had to go out on disability retirement, she was able to combine her remaining vacation and sick time, and sick time donated by colleagues to cover nearly 9 months of full-time pay.

Like you folks, I rarely took any sick time - less than 60 hours over my work life.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 10:07:04 AM »
Well it seems my feeling lousy was not a side effect of my jabs on Saturday. Wife was due to go into a work meeting today so we both did a precautionary Covid test. Both of us positive!

Managed to dodge the bullet for 2.5 years, but now it’s laid us low 🤒
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 11:06:25 AM »
Well it seems my feeling lousy was not a side effect of my jabs on Saturday. Wife was due to go into a work meeting today so we both did a precautionary Covid test. Both of us positive!

Managed to dodge the bullet for 2.5 years, but now it’s laid us low 🤒

Oh man...Neil and Mrs' Neil.....very sorry to hear this!
Both of you take care of yourselves.
Very best wishes - for a good recovery!

Tom
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 02:08:05 PM »
yes, Neil, get some rest and hope you're both feeling better soon!

I live in the healthcare world...and some are saying the flu may be an even bigger concern this season than covid! Great idea to get your shots...especially the scooter crowd, which seems to be slightly more advanced in age than the general population!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 02:35:42 PM »
Thanks for the good wishes Stig & Hawk.

We’re both in bed today having decided to be kind to ourselves. If I’m honest, I felt much worse on Monday and so I’m hopeful I’m on the mend, but the sweats are still coming in waves and my energy is still lacking.

My rule of thumb on how sick I am is “can I be bothered to kit up and go for a ride”?  The answer yesterday was ”Hell, yes!”
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 03:20:52 PM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2022, 03:36:25 PM »
My wife said I had covid .....a few months before it showed up in the bat soup in Noodletown, Asia a couple years ago.
Whatever it was laid me low for @10 days. Lost 15 lbs.

Chills, the Care Bears came to visit me every night....was able to play the violin and loved broccoli & country music the whole 10 days!
Went to a different land.
It was very restful, sort of.

The Major

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

NorWeWa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2022, 04:27:06 PM »
Got another covid booster and the flu shot couple days ago. No side effects here. I guess because of my limited social contacts I have avoided the viral diseases so far. Knock on wood.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2022, 05:36:27 PM »
yes, Neil, get some rest and hope you're both feeling better soon!

I live in the healthcare world...and some are saying the flu may be an even bigger concern this season than covid! Great idea to get your shots...especially the scooter crowd, which seems to be slightly more advanced in age than the general population!

my Doc will want to poke me with a flu shot next month at my annual physical, and I wanna get my 2nd shingles shot, several people I know have come down with it and wished they had the shots, been jabbed 3 times for covid, first was the one and done J&J :o , then I got a moderna booster, and later on, a pfizer

I usually ride to my doctor appointments
RandyO
IBA#9560

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2022, 05:51:05 PM »
Thanks to living several hundred miles away from our nearest relative, having 5 Covid shots (2+3 boosters) and flu shots, and virtually all social get togethers done via Zoom, my wife and I have avoided these illnesses. Most relatives and several friends have had Covid. One friend got sick in May 2020 and is still dealing with the affects. He spent months in ICU and many more months in rehab before belting allowed to return home earlier this year. I hope Mr and Mrs Neill get well soon.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2022, 02:00:23 PM »
My wife said I had covid .....a few months before it showed up in the bat soup in Noodletown, Asia a couple years ago.
Whatever it was laid me low for @10 days. Lost 15 lbs.

Chills, the Care Bears came to visit me every night....was able to play the violin and loved broccoli & country music the whole 10 days!
Went to a different land.
It was very restful, sort of.

The Major

Sounds it Stig.  Glad you pulled through it with your sense of humour undimmed!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()