Author Topic: NSR - New Car on the Horizon?  (Read 1760 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: NSR - New Car on the Horizon?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2022, 08:33:19 AM »
Is crash-worthiness a top priority?
Subarus seem to score well.
Stig

They also have something of a “boy racer” image over here?…
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2022, 07:38:52 PM »
They also have something of a “boy racer” image over here?…
Yeah, no...my SIL bought one of those low slung 2 dr sport cars. Not the rallycar thing.....are they all blue🙃?
No, I mean the 4WD SUV-like things from Subaru.
 Safe as houses
Stig
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2022, 09:48:30 PM »
Yeah, no...my SIL bought one of those low slung 2 dr sport cars. Not the rallycar thing.....are they all blue🙃?
No, I mean the 4WD SUV-like things from Subaru.
 Safe as houses
Stig
Stig

Academic Stig, it’s not a marque her works car leasing scheme lists.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2022, 04:18:43 PM »
Seems my better half has now got fed up with the amount of time that her Land Rover Range Rover Sport spends in the workshop.  She has been offered a lease vehicle through her work and the short list seems to be a BMW X3 30e M Sport   https://www.whatcar.com/bmw/x3/4x4/xdrive-30e-m-sport-5dr-auto/98354#specification

Anyone on here got any experience of them? Specifically, the trunk (boot) size. Will 2 dogs, one 50 kgs and the other 32 kgs fit in?

I went back and looked at your original question, my son has an X5, with it's v8, size and power specs are similar, I don't see any problem holding your proposed cargo & pets.

pay attention to towing limits if you tow, my son has to get my Silverado to tow his boat, he tried once with his X5, and ended up calling me after his boat pushed him off the road
RandyO
IBA#9560

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2022, 04:37:43 PM »

"She's not a van lover?"

Not me of course.....but a guy sitting behind me on the subway - reading your post over my shoulder, wondered out loud:

Stig
That thing with a Corvair 6 is perfect!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2022, 05:47:37 PM »
That thing with a Corvair 6 is perfect!

back in the day, my grandma had a turbo corsa 180hp, it was right when I was starting to drive, so I only got to drive it once, and my grandma was with me  :( but probably a good thing, 1960's handling with 180hp in the hands of a 15 year old
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2022, 07:22:02 AM »
I went back and looked at your original question, my son has an X5, with it's v8, size and power specs are similar, I don't see any problem holding your proposed cargo & pets.

pay attention to towing limits if you tow, my son has to get my Silverado to tow his boat, he tried once with his X5, and ended up calling me after his boat pushed him off the road

Thanks Randy.  I like the look of the Beemer, but wife is now looking also at the Volvo XC60?  Comparable cargo space.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2022, 04:27:32 PM »
Thanks Randy.  I like the look of the Beemer, but wife is now looking also at the Volvo XC60?  Comparable cargo space.

bimmer.... bikes are beemers, cars are bimmers
RandyO
IBA#9560

Quick-Star24

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2022, 04:37:43 PM »
Seems my better half has now got fed up with the amount of time that her Land Rover Range Rover Sport spends in the workshop.  She has been offered a lease vehicle through her work and the short list seems to be a BMW X3 30e M Sport   https://www.whatcar.com/bmw/x3/4x4/xdrive-30e-m-sport-5dr-auto/98354#specification

Anyone on here got any experience of them? Specifically, the trunk (boot) size. Will 2 dogs, one 50 kgs and the other 32 kgs fit in?

All I know is there are tons of videos on Youtube where you are being taught how to work on your BMW....that they are notorious for having "issues".....kinda like the word about Harley's for years was "bring your tools".

It seems BMW is one of the greatest cars WHEN they are running....

And of course EVERYTHING is a rumor until you experience something for yourself....LOL

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2022, 07:28:03 AM »
bimmer.... bikes are beemers, cars are bimmers
Was never aware of that distinction!  Not sure it’s a thing this side of the Pond?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2022, 07:30:52 AM »
All I know is there are tons of videos on Youtube where you are being taught how to work on your BMW....that they are notorious for having "issues".....kinda like the word about Harley's for years was "bring your tools".

It seems BMW is one of the greatest cars WHEN they are running....

And of course EVERYTHING is a rumor until you experience something for yourself....LOL

Good point Quick-Star, at least all maintenance would be covered on the scheme…
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2022, 09:36:16 AM »
Just to close this thread down with some sort of resolution, we have now put a deposit down on a new (to us) car.  Decided in the end not to go the lease route given the dead money / pension implications with the way the scheme is structured here in the UK.  So, what did we decide on? "We", that is my darling wife, decided on a Mercedes C-Class Estate.  (OK, it's not a VeeDub Stig, but at least it's German?)  She fell in love with the colour (!) and the panoramic sunroof.

In fairness this will be her third Merc, so she knows and loves the marque and having test driven it, I have to admit it's a nice ride and has the full complement of toys.  There will be enough room in the back for the dogs and I'm actually looking forward to her picking it up next week.

(PS:  The Landy now seems to have developed a torque converter fault, so the decision to get rid seems like a no-brainer.)
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2022, 11:50:04 AM »
Just to close this thread down with some sort of resolution, we have now put a deposit down on a new (to us) car.  Decided in the end not to go the lease route given the dead money / pension implications with the way the scheme is structured here in the UK.  So, what did we decide on? "We", that is my darling wife, decided on a Mercedes C-Class Estate.  (OK, it's not a VeeDub Stig, but at least it's German?)  She fell in love with the colour (!) and the panoramic sunroof.

In fairness this will be her third Merc, so she knows and loves the marque and having test driven it, I have to admit it's a nice ride and has the full complement of toys.  There will be enough room in the back for the dogs and I'm actually looking forward to her picking it up next week.

(PS:  The Landy now seems to have developed a torque converter fault, so the decision to get rid seems like a no-brainer.)

Cool!
Remember ...."NPIDH~!"
(I was born in Munich - to a girl from Tenn. and a navigator from Ohio - but my German tastes run to the early, simpler  VDubs)
Chosen by "colour"....CTTOI*, all my girl pals have been blondes ;)

Stig
come to think of it*
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2022, 02:24:19 PM »
Thanks Stig, I'll be back with a few photos* when we bring it home.  Delayed by a few days owing to a factory recall for the software to be updated!  :(

* Attached is the pre-preparation dealer photo

BTW, "colour".  See what you did there!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 02:27:38 PM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2022, 04:35:08 PM »
I like the small wagons (or Estates). Very practical and nice ride and car like handling. We owned a Subaru Outback wagon for 13 years. Very practical little car. For some reason the small wagons / estates never caught on here in the US.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()