Author Topic: NSR - New Car on the Horizon?  (Read 1753 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
NSR - New Car on the Horizon?
« on: October 02, 2022, 03:32:44 PM »
Seems my better half has now got fed up with the amount of time that her Land Rover Range Rover Sport spends in the workshop.  She has been offered a lease vehicle through her work and the short list seems to be a BMW X3 30e M Sport   https://www.whatcar.com/bmw/x3/4x4/xdrive-30e-m-sport-5dr-auto/98354#specification

Anyone on here got any experience of them? Specifically, the trunk (boot) size. Will 2 dogs, one 50 kgs and the other 32 kgs fit in?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
Re: NSR - New Car on the Horizon?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 03:38:04 PM »
Seems my better half has now got fed up with the amount of time that her Land Rover Range Rover Sport spends in the workshop.  She has been offered a lease vehicle through her work and the short list seems to be a BMW X3 30e M Sport   https://www.whatcar.com/bmw/x3/4x4/xdrive-30e-m-sport-5dr-auto/98354#specification

Anyone on here got any experience of them? Specifically, the trunk (boot) size. Will 2 dogs, one 50 kgs and the other 32 kgs fit in?

This is going to sound weird - but if it's just you and your wife and you have another car, have you considered a small van for the dogs? We used to have a Peugeot Partner for a work van and it was the most useful thing ever and would easily take two dogs with beds. Cheap on diesel too
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 04:34:20 PM »
Not weird no, but can't see the wife being happy to pole up to work meetings in a van!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 06:35:46 PM »
my neighbor just had a Fisher plow mounted to a Tesla

RandyO
IBA#9560

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 08:41:24 PM »
Go with the BMW X5 M Competition, a lot more fun...lol

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 10:02:52 AM »
Go with the BMW X5 M Competition, a lot more fun...lol

Dean

And a tad more expensive? 🤣
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 11:01:07 AM »

"She's not a van lover?"

Not me of course.....but a guy sitting behind me on the subway - reading your post over my shoulder, wondered out loud:

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 02:40:30 PM »
You’re still a real lover of those VeeDub camper vans aintcha Stig?  No, having lived with a touring caravan for two years, we’re far happier with our static (trailer) with its plumbed in water, sewage, electric and internet!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 03:26:31 PM »
Slightly off-topic - but ....

The 30-something lady across the street just brought home a VW Beetle convertible a few weeks ago.
And, bless her heart - she drives that baby around with that top down nearly every day!
She just came home for lunch - looks like a nursing uniform....heck of a sound system!
I see a few of those around town - but they never put the top down?

I drove a couple yr old 60-something Ford Mustang convertible in Massachusetts for a year. I hardly ever put the top up!
Snow goes right over when you're on I-90!....and the heat blasts out on your feet with the top down.
Loved that car!
After snapping 2 sockets - I gave up trying to change the plugs on it. doan-fool-widit! is my mechanical motto.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 05:42:20 PM »
And a tad more expensive? 🤣

What happened Neil, your anticipated income tax reduction isn’t going to happen?  ::)

My Mini Countryman can handle the dogs and it looks stylish doing it. While I haven’t had two dogs at once, I did convey 4 adults, one service dog (retriever), and all needed luggage for a 4-day trip to DC so lobby congress. As the X3 is larger than the X1/2 on which the Mini is based, I think it should work for her needs. Cheers.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2022, 05:55:40 PM »

"She's not a van lover?"

Not me of course.....but a guy sitting behind me on the subway - reading your post over my shoulder, wondered out loud:

Stig

what can I say, I don't mind the tall shift lever that has no feel for being where you put it. I'f I come across a clean example at a reasonable price, I will build a garage for it
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2022, 07:27:08 PM »
what can I say, I don't mind the tall shift lever that has no feel for being where you put it. I'f I come across a clean example at a reasonable price, I will build a garage for it

It's an art. Musn't hurry things. I found that using Red Line fluid helped things - especially in the winter!
You can stop seeing your breath after about 20 mins on I-90....in Feb.
A Friend in Germany - a retired teacher in Frankfurt, leads a yearly humanitarian convoy of 1st 2nd and 3rd gen, VW Transporters across Europe to places of need. They carry medical supplies, clothes, toys for children. etc. They get quite a bit of support from the VW museum in Wolfsburg and Catholic groups.
He sent me a video of these old VW Transporters going flat-out around the Nürburgring one day .....some with the Porsche engines were pretty impressive!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2022, 09:59:22 PM »
Ah!, I had a gas heater, it robbed me at least 10mpg, but kept me toasty warm, on one venture taking the hockey team to a Maine Mariners game, the other parent chaperone, on a -15° night and says "geez, it's like a wood stove"
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2022, 01:58:06 PM »
Thanks Manc, useful observations.  Well, maybe not on the Tax relief...   ;D
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2022, 05:47:50 PM »
Thanks Manc, useful observations.  Well, maybe not on the Tax relief...   ;D
Is crash-worthiness a top priority?
Subarus seem to score well.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio