Author Topic: removing plastic body plug  (Read 493 times)

mcbrien

• View Profile
removing plastic body plug
« on: October 21, 2022, 10:46:50 AM »
Hi all, Here is my 1st post. I have a 150 super8 and want to adjust headlight . Anyone know how to remove plastic plug
from fairing without damaging it?
Thanks

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: removing plastic body plug
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 12:11:53 PM »
There are only a limited number of plastic rivets (as I call them) used on any motorcycle/scooter. I think I've seen them all, maybe.
There are 2 main kinds. I don't know about the Super 8 but can guess.

One of the main kinds of plastic rivets are smooth and have what looks like a center pin. For those I use a flat standard screw driver at an angle to push that pin in just a little. If I hold the screw driver at a 45 deg angle so only the very corner of the blade pushes on the pin then I can guarantee the pin will be pushed in exactly as far as it should be when the the screw driver cannot push in any more. Important points with these rivets. DO NOT PUSH THE PIN ALL THE WAY THROUGH, ONLY AS FAR AS THE SCREW DRIVER CAN PUSH IT IF THE DRIVER IS HELD AT AN ANGLE WHILE PUSHING WITH ONLY THE CORNER OF THE BLADE. Then the rivet can be worked out safely with no damage. I use my finger nail around the edges to work it out. To reinsert these the center pin must first be pushed back so the pin sticks up from the body of the rivet. There are notches in the shaft of the pin that the legs of the rivet fit into so only poke the pin out so the legs fit into the notches. Then insert the pin so it goes through both layers of panel/tabs and then push the center pin flush with the rivet.

The other main kind of plastic rivet has 2 "slots" on either side of a center PAD. Use that same flat bladed screw driver under the pad at those slots and lift the pad just enough to pop it up a little. Then that rivet can be worked out safely. To reinsert these simply insert the pin while the pad is still lifted and then push the pad down.

There are also the kinds of rivets with a cross point or Phillips slot in the center pin. For those turn the center pin just a quarter turn so the center pin pops up a little and then lift out the rivet. To reinsert these do the same as described in the last paragraph. Insert the rivet and then push the center pin down.

There is also the plastic plug type that has no center pin or pad and those usually simply lift out, though they can be stubborn and are a snap fit.

I'm sure there are other kinds of plastic rivets but I haven't worked with those. I have worked with all of the above.

I have never broken a plastic rivet nor have I ever lost a center pin or rivet down inside any of my bikes doing this.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 12:19:11 PM »
excellent description rjs, you described perfectly the 2 types of plastic pins. I'm not aware of Kymco using them on the smaller scoots? The fairings on my S200 all have tabs that lock into slots and have screws securing them. (except the instrument panel / headlight cover, that one is a BEAR!, and removes differently)

Can the OP be more specific in the description of what needs to be removed? Pictures help, too.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022, 01:55:58 PM »
There are a few dozen youtube videos on using plastic panel rivets.....for those of us who do better with visuals.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mcbrien

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 10:48:52 AM »
I tried to load a pic but there to big. This is not a fastener, its a cover over the main screw that you have to remove to get to headlights.
Its painted same color as bike and all the posts I've found doesn't detail how to remove it without buggering it up.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2022, 02:26:34 PM »
I tried to load a pic but there to big. This is not a fastener, its a cover over the main screw that you have to remove to get to headlights.
Its painted same color as bike and all the posts I've found doesn't detail how to remove it without buggering it up.

I have one of those body colored plugs hiding a screw on the front of my scoot. I can reach under and pop it out from behind. Probably like yours, if I were to use a screwdriver I'd hack it up. See if you can access it from behind.

I attached pics of my front plug.

For an easy way to load photos, take picture with phone, email pic to yourself and open on your laptop. Use 'snipping tool' (assume you have windows machine) to outline and copy the pic. Save this to whatever folder you want and then attach this to your reply in the forum. It will take huge phone pic and make it small enough to post on this forum. (that's how I posted these 2 photos)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 02:34:25 PM by Iahawk »
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2022, 04:13:41 PM »
If you can't get behind it ......and it would be amazing if makers made that possible every time - would a plastic auto trim removal set of tools work? Maybe a little hairdryer action to warm the plug?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mcbrien

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2022, 11:31:47 AM »
Yes, Ihawk that's the plug.
Major tom, I will look into plastic trim removal tools. There's a tab on the bottom of the plug like the ones on wiring harnesses .
If I could just raise that up a little.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2022, 09:06:06 AM »
Maybe a little hairdryer action to warm the plug?

Stig

Ditto that precaution!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()