Author Topic: Not starting just one click  (Read 1368 times)

Roads by TJ

• View Profile
Not starting just one click
« on: October 21, 2022, 05:57:43 PM »
Hey folks,
I'm having a problem with my 2016 200i not starting. I get one click for each time I try the start button but the starter does nothing. I've replaced the solenoid and starter twice. Each time I replaced the starter it starts working again. The first starter worked for 3 months and this second one I just replaced last night and boom no start after a brief stop at a store. Do you think that maybe it's just bad luck?
Battery is good and fully charged. When swapping out the solenoid nothing changes, issue remains. I don't see how I could be causing the starters to go bad so I'm turning here to see what you all think.
4K miles. Very well maintained.
TJ

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Not starting just one click
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 08:13:00 PM »
Hey folks,
I'm having a problem with my 2016 200i not starting. I get one click for each time I try the start button but the starter does nothing. I've replaced the solenoid and starter twice. Each time I replaced the starter it starts working again. The first starter worked for 3 months and this second one I just replaced last night and boom no start after a brief stop at a store. Do you think that maybe it's just bad luck?
Battery is good and fully charged. When swapping out the solenoid nothing changes, issue remains. I don't see how I could be causing the starters to go bad so I'm turning here to see what you all think.
4K miles. Very well maintained.
Hello,
First - i'd question your battery. NEW?
Are you getting any codes ("blinks") from the CELP light. That light next to the engine/block shaped item on the lower right of your dash?
With key on it should light up for 2 seconds - then go off....Blinks after that are codes for various EFI faults.
Are you getting any 'blinks'?

EFI needs a good strong battery to operate properly.
Have you tried a jump from a NON RUNNING car's 12V battery?

KILL switch in run position?, brake light lights with key on and brake lever pulled?
Fuses good?
Battery terminals clean and snug?
NEG battery lead to frame point clean and snug? (lower right side)

History please: Stollen ever?, crashed and repaired?, ignition jimmied?,

First starting problem was what?

No, it's not bad luck. You've an electrical issue probably.....and should be not too hard to sort it out.
Hang in there!
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 08:17:12 PM »
Pls check in direction ground cable.
See link below.
It's pretty common to have a rotten and therefore bad connection which results in your symptoms.

https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=31637.0
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Roads by TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022, 11:37:47 PM »
Hello,
First - i'd question your battery. NEW?
Are you getting any codes ("blinks") from the CELP light. That light next to the engine/block shaped item on the lower right of your dash?
With key on it should light up for 2 seconds - then go off....Blinks after that are codes for various EFI faults.
Are you getting any 'blinks'?

EFI needs a good strong battery to operate properly.
Have you tried a jump from a NON RUNNING car's 12V battery?

KILL switch in run position?, brake light lights with key on and brake lever pulled?
Fuses good?
Battery terminals clean and snug?
NEG battery lead to frame point clean and snug? (lower right side)

History please: Stollen ever?, crashed and repaired?, ignition jimmied?,

First starting problem was what?

No, it's not bad luck. You've an electrical issue probably.....and should be not too hard to sort it out.
Hang in there!
Stig

Battery-I have two both strong one is new.
Start switch in run position. Brake lever pulled.  Hear one click. Not stolen, not crashed, ignition is normal no damage. Battery terminals are very clean. The bike is in near perfect condition other than the no start.
First start issue was the oem starter going out, 1st replacement went bad after 50 days, 2nd replacement didn't last a day.
Almost forgot, I have tried to jump it but it's the same click. I'll check ground as soon as I get it back to my garage (tomorrow morning).

Codes: 12 no others.

TJ

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 12:25:17 AM »
BRAKE LIGHT lights when you pull lever? If not, then small switch failed behind lever = won't start.
Jump/short solenoid with screwdriver kicks starter over?
12 fuel pump or circuit malfunction
Stig

« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 12:33:42 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Roads by TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 12:41:01 AM »
BRAKE LIGHT lights when you pull lever? If not, then small switch failed behind lever = won't start.
Stig

Yes brake lights when pulling lever.
Got bike back and after a day of bad weather I got to looking at the cabling. The positive is perfect point to point. Negative has one spot that shows wear from rubbing against the frame but it didn't wear through. I repositioned rub spot and checked the rest of the cables with no other problems. Removed the starter and it tested fine. Put the starter back in, connected all  wires and it clicked. After I put everything back together I tried once again and it started. So, it's intermittent and wires are not the problem. Key switch has no damage, battery full charge and tried a new battery just for testing, starter is strong. Last is a bad solenoid. Maybe the two I have are cheap?
Anyone recommend a good name brand solenoid?
Any other idea's?
TJ

Roads by TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 12:46:42 AM »
Stig

Fuel pump works as I can hear it plus when running I have to issues with fuel.
Circuit malfunction? Can you or someone elaborate on that? I understand what a circuit is but what could be part of the 12 code?
As part of the spark circuitry, I did replace the spark plug.
TJ

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2022, 04:21:14 AM »
Inspect CLOSELY the condition of the fat wired from battery to start relay, from relay to starter and from battery to ground.  You have a bad connection, bad terminal connection or corroded terminal crimp.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Roads by TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2022, 10:02:51 PM »
Inspect CLOSELY the condition of the fat wired from battery to start relay, from relay to starter and from battery to ground.  You have a bad connection, bad terminal connection or corroded terminal crimp.

Apologize for the delay in getting back to this post. Crossbolt you were correct in checking the wires. I found a bad spot in the cable connected to the starter. Repaired it and no more problems. Thanks peoples for all your help and support. You all have bailed me out in a few situations now and I really appreciate it!

TJ

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2022, 10:13:38 PM »
CROSSBOLT ~ WELL DONE~!....AGAIN...!

Thanks for watching over the gang Karl - seriously a Big Thnakyou!

Tom
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2022, 10:16:19 PM »
Apologize for the delay in getting back to this post. Crossbolt you were correct in checking the wires. I found a bad spot in the cable connected to the starter. Repaired it and no more problems. Thanks peoples for all your help and support. You all have bailed me out in a few situations now and I really appreciate it!
Roads, thank you for getting back t us with your fix.
Each fault & fix goes into our community think tank for the next issue which a LIKE owner reports!

Again , thanks....and good to hear you're up an running again.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2022, 02:10:34 AM »
good thread and good info. Man, how many times has a no start or intermittent start condition come down to the OP finding a problem with one of the key wires or connections? There seems to be a pattern where at first the OP feels the wires and connections are fine but upon closer inspection and more questioning a fault / bad connection / corrosion, etc is found?

Seems to be the #1 solution for these types of problems. Kudos to all for diagnosing and helping to fix!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2022, 10:09:36 AM »
Roads, thank you for getting back t us with your fix.
Each fault & fix goes into our community think tank for the next issue which a LIKE owner reports!

Again , thanks....and good to hear you're up an running again.
Stig

A “feel good” thread and a big shout out to Karl / Crossbolt. You da man!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2022, 12:51:41 PM »
A “feel good” thread and a big shout out to Karl / Crossbolt. You da man!
Thank you all but it is not me as I am not that bright.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Roads by TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2022, 12:38:54 AM »
good thread and good info. Man, how many times has a no start or intermittent start condition come down to the OP finding a problem with one of the key wires or connections? There seems to be a pattern where at first the OP feels the wires and connections are fine but upon closer inspection and more questioning a fault / bad connection / corrosion, etc is found?

Seems to be the #1 solution for these types of problems. Kudos to all for diagnosing and helping to fix!

Couldn't agree with you more. Slow down and inspect.
Thanks family!

TJ

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()