Author Topic: Cold Weather Test  (Read 738 times)

Portland Steve

• View Profile
Cold Weather Test
« on: November 24, 2010, 06:50:54 PM »
I'm sure there are folks who have ridden in colder weather, but here is my story.
I live and commute in Portland Oregon and it is usually fairly mild in the winters, but we do get our cold snaps.
It got down to 20 degrees for my ride to work this morning, down seven degrees from yesterday.
The roads are generally clear from my house to downtown.
My Super 8 started right up after being in a cold garage.  I let it warm for a few minutes.  It stalled when I first tried to give it the gas, but it started right up again.
The first few minutes were a little tough on the small engine as it gasped for warmth, but it kept running.
After about ten minutes, she was warm and running just fine.
I had my full winter gear on, including a balaclava head piece, so all was warm except for my finger tips, which got fairly frozen by the end of my fifteen minute ride.
I have to venture across the Steel bridge, which was a bit frosty.  I just took my time and made my turns wide.  I did not slip as far as I could tell, but I was ready to put my feet down to brace myself.
I arrived at the garage that I park at with a smile on my face, which would be completely invisible due to my full face helmet and ninja style head wrap.  I was immediately greeted by a gal getting out of her car.  Turns out she usually rides a fancy Harley Fat Boy to work and thought that I was kind of crazy for riding today.
Wish me luck in getting the scooter started after a day in the parking garage a below freezing temps.

oswaldters

• View Profile
Re: Cold Weather Test
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 08:08:59 PM »
No reason not to ride in the winter.

Just make sure that scoot is warmed up on those cold mornings or you will run into stalling.  You'll find starting isn't the problem - it's having to stand there while getting it warmed up enough to ride that is the challenge.

Coldest I've ridden in is 8 degrees, but mostly in the lower 20s and teens for the morning commute.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()