Author Topic: Intermittent warm restart fail  (Read 1442 times)

Beaker99

• Auckland, New Zealand
    • View Profile
Intermittent warm restart fail
« on: October 28, 2022, 04:46:11 AM »
Hi all,

I have a Kawasaki J300 I picked up about a year or so ago which had been left sitting for 18months before I got it. I did a full service etc and got it running well but it’s got an intermittent issue where it will fails to restart sometimes if it’s been running and warmed up to operating temperature then turned off for a few mins. I happens most often if I ride it down to the shops to pick something up. On a cold start it fires up almost immediately every time. But if I drive to the shop, park up for a few mins and then return, it will often simply turn over and not even try to fire up. It’s like there is no spark. It’s turning over normally but there’s not even a hint of ignition. I usually have to turn the key off, wait 20 seconds then try again and if I do that a couple of times it suddenly fires up as normal.

Does that sound ECU related? Could it be something else?

I do have a second J300 so I’m thinking about swapping the ECU’s over to see if that fixes the problem, but I’m really dreading having to strip down two bikes to get to the ECU’s.  Is there anything else I should look at / test before blaming the ECU?

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Intermittent warm restart fail
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2022, 10:56:19 AM »
Hold your horses on the ECU until someone more knowledgeable comes along to advise.  I say that because in my (limited) experience of ECU problems, you're more likely to see a complete failure of the unit.  As a result, I'm betting on something else being the cause?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 02:12:04 PM »
Hold your horses on the ECU until someone more knowledgeable comes along to advise.  I say that because in my (limited) experience of ECU problems, you're more likely to see a complete failure of the unit.  As a result, I'm betting on something else being the cause?
I agree with Neil on this. Of all the components the most reliables seems the ECU. Recommend starting with simpler stuff first.

My suspicion is you have some ethanol "snot" in your injector. I bought a new, old stock 2013 DT300i in 2016 that had the EXACT same symptoms as yours. I was led to devise a plan to backflush the injector with the on board equipment.

What that means is:
1.  Remove fuel hose from injector
2. Remove injector from engine but leave harness plugged in
3. Attach fuel hose directly to injector nozzle and tighten clamp
4. Cycle ignition on and off several times while collecting fuel from the inlet of injector
Note: Very little fuel is passing through the injector each time the key is turned on and off so you gonna do this a LOT to get much fuel though there. You may want to hook a charger or second battery. I did this about ten cycles and the problem went away. Yours may be different....
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2022, 09:37:31 PM »
Are you using ANY throttle when doing a hot/warm start?
EFI works best if the throttle is not touched!
EFI also likes a very healthy battery.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Beaker99

• Auckland, New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 10:11:51 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone. I swapped the injector over from the known good bike to the bike with the intermittent starting issue and ran the bike around the neighborhood a few times on Saturday hoping like crazy that it would fix it. Unfortunately, late on Saturday afternoon after leaving he bike for around 15mins post a ride, it again failed to start.

So on Sunday morning I bit the bullet and set about stripping the fairings off both bikes to get to the ECU’s. I swapped them over and did the procedure to reset the throttle sensor position and idle speed control valve.

I haven’t had much of a chance to test it yet, but I’ll ride the faulty bike for the next week and see what happens. I’m almost hoping this doesn’t fix the issue as a new ECU will be at least $500 here in New Zealand. I’d much rather the fault was in a cheaper part.

@Stig, I never touch the throttle when starting and the battery in this bike is relatively new.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 10:44:11 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone. I swapped the injector over from the known good bike to the bike with the intermittent starting issue and ran the bike around the neighborhood a few times on Saturday hoping like crazy that it would fix it. Unfortunately, late on Saturday afternoon after leaving he bike for around 15mins post a ride, it again failed to start.

So on Sunday morning I bit the bullet and set about stripping the fairings off both bikes to get to the ECU’s. I swapped them over and did the procedure to reset the throttle sensor position and idle speed control valve.

I haven’t had much of a chance to test it yet, but I’ll ride the faulty bike for the next week and see what happens. I’m almost hoping this doesn’t fix the issue as a new ECU will be at least $500 here in New Zealand. I’d much rather the fault was in a cheaper part.

@Stig, I never touch the throttle when starting and the battery in this bike is relatively new.
Eliminate the simpler and cheaper and easier to access parts first....
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2022, 04:08:07 AM »
Here is information from the Kymco Downtown workshop/service manual.

One of the specific procedures requires you to open or rev the throttle to start which increases air flow to clear excess fuel that could wet the spark plug. Does the issue happen more often with short rides? Try the 'anti-flood procedure below'.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 04:18:09 AM by mousejunks »
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

roxyflash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2022, 07:56:40 PM »
Try venting the gas cap

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2022, 09:42:10 PM »
@Beaker99, on your case I would suspect:
-killswitch (do NOT use any WD40 or similar, for it demages plastic parts, better alcohol and pressure air, then silicone grease)
-sparkplug, cable and cap incl. coil
-fuel supply/pump
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Beaker99

• Auckland, New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2022, 06:49:26 AM »
A bit of an update. After swapping over the ECU’s I then proceeded to ride the “faulty” bike for 4 days straight, commuting to work and doing all my normal riding. I consistently checked it after each ride by trying to start it back up after 5, 10, or 15mins and the bike never failed. I definitely would have had it fail to start previously within those 4 days if the problem was still present.

I then started riding my usual “good” bike which now had the “bad” ECU in it, and I was fully expecting to have that fail to start at some stage, but it seems it too is running perfectly and I can’t it to fail to start either!

At this point my working assumption is that the issue was ECU related but I fixed it when I performed the reset of the throttle sensor position and idle speed control valve. Aside from swapping the ECU’s between bikes, that’s the only other thing I did on both machines. I’m still riding the “good” bike and I haven’t tested it as much as I would like, but so far it doesn’t seem to have inherited the problem.

Finger crossed I've had a lucky solution. I can now put one of the bikes on the market, which will please my wife immensely!

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2022, 11:40:55 AM »
A bit of an update. After swapping over the ECU’s I then proceeded to ride the “faulty” bike for 4 days straight, commuting to work and doing all my normal riding. I consistently checked it after each ride by trying to start it back up after 5, 10, or 15mins and the bike never failed. I definitely would have had it fail to start previously within those 4 days if the problem was still present.

I then started riding my usual “good” bike which now had the “bad” ECU in it, and I was fully expecting to have that fail to start at some stage, but it seems it too is running perfectly and I can’t it to fail to start either!

At this point my working assumption is that the issue was ECU related but I fixed it when I performed the reset of the throttle sensor position and idle speed control valve. Aside from swapping the ECU’s between bikes, that’s the only other thing I did on both machines. I’m still riding the “good” bike and I haven’t tested it as much as I would like, but so far it doesn’t seem to have inherited the problem.

Finger crossed I've had a lucky solution. I can now put one of the bikes on the market, which will please my wife immensely!

Well, whatever it was, glad you've found a solution!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2022, 01:21:04 PM »

Could it be a slightly corroded or dirty contact on the ECU plug and socket? That is why a few car manufacturers have started lathering all connectors with silicone dielectric grease. I have copied them with every bike since the early 2000's....
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2022, 05:41:53 AM »
Could it be a slightly corroded or dirty contact on the ECU plug and socket? That is why a few car manufacturers have started lathering all connectors with silicone dielectric grease. I have copied them with every bike since the early 2000's....

Good advice Karl.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2022, 06:32:17 PM »
I had the exact same problem with the 2011 DT300 I owned and although it seemed to solve itself i never trusted it completely so I sold it despite many months of flawless performance. Please keep us posted on your experience with this mysterious ailment/hiccup.
2009 GV 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()