Author Topic: technical/how to  (Read 1630 times)

doogieE

• View Profile
technical/how to
« on: November 25, 2010, 03:21:31 PM »
I purchased a 2000 ZX50 with a bad starter and replaced it a different starter. In order for the starter to work I used the motor from the new starter and installed it in my old starters body. However, the new starter does not seem to engage the drive pulley to start the engine. Could the starter be turning the wrong direction? Is so, is there a way to reverse the direction the stater motor turns?

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Re: technical/how to
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 04:15:47 PM »
In some old AC motors you could reverse the wires going to the motor and it would run the other way with no problem.  I don't believe this works with DC motors.  I don't know if this would work in your starter.  Wait till you get more opinions before trying since it may do damage. I am not an expert. 

Need others to chime in here.   ;)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: technical/how to
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 07:39:07 PM »
What you did is the essence of "hot rodding" and it can be fun. It also can be a nightmare! Most of these starters are with PM (permanent magnet) fields so you cannot wire them up incorrectly since there is no wire. You can, however, get the magnets 180 deg out which will reverse the direction of the motor. Next, the shaft may not be the right length and the starter pinion may not engage. Ya gotta study  and measure this stuff CAREFULLY to get it to work.

Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()