Author Topic: Stig resuscitates an Equinox  (Read 413 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Stig resuscitates an Equinox
« on: November 02, 2022, 08:25:37 PM »
This car, belonging to my late FIL, has been sitting in this garage for 2 years without being moved or started. (battery dead)

Battery out - ready  for the new DieHard.

Michelins were still holding proper PSI all 'round!
Fluids & dipstick checked (dash said 74% oil life remaining - but I'm going to get it changed ASAP)

Pit crew signals battery in ----and while I went to move the truck - she jumped in and started it up!

My key/fob rebuild worked and the car fired right up instantly - no bells or whistles or smoke!
Front discs groaned as expected for the first 3 gentle stops. Rust.
A little dusty - but dry, clean, oil free, new looking under the hood!

Senior member of the crew took it for a road test......

Perfect. Then I remembered I'm driving with a 2 yr out of date sticker on the old plate! (new one home on the kitchen table!)

I thought that must be the trip odometer.
But it is the actual mileage.

I've been insuring it for a couple months - so one of the ladies might as well drive it.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Stig resuscitates an Equinox
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 09:52:46 PM »
Hray!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 10:26:15 PM »
modern cars are amazing! Now about that dust under the hood and on the dash, steering column, etc....I know a guy with a large supply of clean, damp microfiber towels, some nice vinyl protectant spray....
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 09:46:58 AM »
Good job Stig.  Never doubted you!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

wymple

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 10:55:38 PM »
My wife is on her 2nd Equinox. She put 93,000 on the 1st, and now has 140,000 on her latest, a 2016.  Easily the 2 most reliable cars we've ever had. We put a 30 dollar can sensor in the 1st one, took 10 minutes, and not a single repair of any kind on number 2. At this point, she would be really leery of getting anything else.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 06:59:05 PM »
My wife is on her 2nd Equinox. She put 93,000 on the 1st, and now has 140,000 on her latest, a 2016.  Easily the 2 most reliable cars we've ever had. We put a 30 dollar can sensor in the 1st one, took 10 minutes, and not a single repair of any kind on number 2. At this point, she would be really leery of getting anything else.

The dash must have been designed by NASA....I don't have enough education to get the heat on and the radio off....but I can launch missiles accurately out the back!
The fat manual?.....Only a teenager could figure it out!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 03:26:52 AM »
a lot of motors today, ain't even broke in till they got a couple hunerd thou on em !  I haven't owned anything with less than 140k. in over 30 years, I did my time making payments and losing it all in depreciation. I used to buy new vehicles every 4 years back in '70s & '80s, not since. Well, except motorcycles, I only buy them new.

the 5.3 in my Silverado, now with 240k, is strong, and gets 20mpg most of the time, My Tacoma 140k, motor runs great, but having issues from the previous owner's lack of use, only 2000 miles in 3 years, I've had several brake lines replaced, starter, rack, shifter cable, now power steering pump, and left exhaust manifold gasket (hopefully does not require removal of head for surfacing) The last Toyota I had was problematic and I swore I'd never own another, but here I am. Price was right for current truck market, can't complain
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()