Author Topic: On the subject of thinking...  (Read 413 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
On the subject of thinking...
« on: November 03, 2022, 09:52:56 AM »
A recent post from Stig triggered this and it's aimed at those of us who ride without headsets / headphones. 

Do you use the time you're cocooned in your helmet riding to think?  Speaking from my experiences, over and above the normal concentration on the ride, I do some of my best thinking during those quiet times - far more so that I ever manage behind the wheel of the tin box.  How about you?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: On the subject of thinking...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 10:53:17 AM »
I  may have to take a ride just to think about this....seriously! I'm old and can't remember!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 01:13:56 PM »
Yes this.
A lot of contemplation happens while riding. I have a Sena headset that has a built in FM radio but I almost never use the radio any more. I used to turn on the radio on local rides but now I just have the headset to get calls from my wife (when she calls I have to answer) and to tie into the phone/bike Noodoe navigation instructions while on long rides. Mostly I just enjoy the ride and the little bit of wind and road noise that makes it past my ear plugs.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 03:13:55 PM »
Yep, Riding is a chance to think and clear my head.  I have never listened to music while riding. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 06:29:15 PM »
In the car, I always have the radio going. On the scooter, I just recently got access to tunes inside my helmet. Only using when or if I need riding directions so far. Next year I may listen to music when on rides >30 minutes just to break up the monotony of hearing my own thoughts. My wife and son are both late risers so I typically have the mornings to my self whether in the house or running an errand so am used to boring myself.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 09:00:04 AM »
My wife and son are both late risers so I typically have the mornings to my self whether in the house or running an errand so am used to boring myself.

Glad I’m not the only one 😂
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

NorWeWa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 12:03:47 AM »
Mostly Concentrate on the here and now. Looking for deer, watching what the traffic might do, and enjoying the country between keeping safe.

Art   

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2022, 03:07:51 AM »
long shadows,  leaves are mostly gone, strobe effects in play, can't forget my seizure meds. I try to stay on not traffic roads, not really hard to do when you have been in my profession as a land surveyor, I know how to get from here to there without going the way everyone else does, it usually takes longer, the distance may be shorter, or longer, and most likely bumpier, and no doubt sections of unpaved road.  Still getting used to not shifting, not so much accelerating, as coming to a stop, I'm surprised how well though, the belt stays engaged for engine (vacuum) braking

today was awesome, 8) in the mid 70s in NOVEMBER, 8) again tomorrow, INDIAN SUMMER, 8) into Monday 8)
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2022, 11:21:23 AM »

today was awesome, 8) in the mid 70s in NOVEMBER, 8) again tomorrow, INDIAN SUMMER, 8) into Monday 8)

Lucky man. Autumn has arrived here. Cooler with lots of rain!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()