Author Topic: Hot weather and de-restricted scooter  (Read 3251 times)

aokark

• View Profile
Hot weather and de-restricted scooter
« on: November 25, 2010, 04:55:53 PM »
I live in Miami and in the summers it can be up to 100F. Now during 'winter' it's around 80F.
Would it be a bad idea to cut the wire on the CDI, making the RPM's higher and correct me if I'm wrong but make the engine hotter?
I rarely ride less than 30 mins at a time when I get to places, sometimes it could be 2 hours.

I understand that I could throttle less and keep the RPM's lower but wouldn't that make the de-restriction kind of useless?

I'm sorry if I missed something about this or if I just sound stupid in general but I am completely new to these things!

oswaldters

• View Profile
Re: Hot weather and de-restricted scooter
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 05:01:02 PM »
Not to worry, derestricting the scoot isn't going to cause it to run too hot.

I've ridden in my share of hot days - including in the low 100s and there isn't a problem.  If anything the heat is a problem if you are stuck at a long light and not moving for an extended period of time.  You don't want to let it sit at idle in the extreme heat.

When the scoot is in motion, the airflow will be sufficient to cool things.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 05:02:53 PM »
Hi, aokark. So you're ready to go faster, huh? That didn't take long.  :D

aokark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 05:07:18 PM »
Haha not quite yet Rianna but I am sure I'll will eventually. :D
I used to have an old moped that did around 35-37 mph, in a way I kind of miss it!

Well there is a lot of traffic and traffic lights here! hehe but not sure how long you meant... :-P

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 05:16:49 PM »
That will depend on the temperature really.

Most traffic lights wouldn't be a problem unless it's very hot and you get stuck in traffic - i.e. take a couple of light cycles to get through.

I wouldn't worry about the heat too much, I drive through 90 degree and hotter weather all summer in my commute and don't have any issues.  Worst case if you're stuck and not moving for a while you just turn the scoot off while you're waiting.  

But I would be careful to change the oil frequently during the hot weather.  I change every 500km during summer. Overkill probably, but since I use the good old fashion dino blend of oil, I play it cautious - especially since an oil change uses less than $3 of Valvoline oil.  

aokark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 05:20:27 PM »
Thank you for your answer :)

My dealer has to do the service like oil change etc, or the warranty will go away but I'll talk to them to see what they say about it :)

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 05:32:34 PM »
my dealer has to do the service like oil change etc, or the warranty will go away

Totally untrue statement. 

The law in America is very clear that the warranty cannot be predicated on using the dealer for maintenance.

Keep a record of when you changed the oil - and even the receipts for the purchase of the oil and you will be fine.

aokark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 05:41:16 PM »
Hm, that's weird...Well I am not sure but my warranty papers say under

OWNER'S OBLIGATIONS - The following obligations must be fulfilled by vehicle's owner to maintain KYMCO warranty coverage:
a. Owner must deliver the motorcycle or scooter to an authorized KYMCO dealer or equally qualified service facility for inspection, maintenance, services and adjustments according to the Periodic Maintenance chart contained in the owner's manual. 

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 05:48:50 PM »
There is a law in American - and I don't recall the name of it but someone else might - specifically saying they cannot do that.

Remember that the documentation for the scoot comes from Taiwan and they just translate everything for different language.  But regardless of what it says - they cannot force you the take it in to have the oil changed.

Changing the oil isn't rocket science here.

aokark

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 05:52:32 PM »
Ok, thank you very much! I just recently moved here so most laws are different to me.

Yea most of the maintenance is pretty easy or at least easy to figure out by reading the manual or asking in here so now I'm happy I can actually do it myself!

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 06:17:14 PM »
I'd like to see them argue that there is anyone who isn't qualified to open up the drain bolt, drain the oil, clean the screen, replace the bolt, and refill with new oil.

Don't have to be ASE qualified to handle that.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 06:22:06 PM »
True, and on scoots things are much easier to get to.

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 06:43:05 PM »
Just keep a record of the mileage, type of oil used, and date - and you can always show that to the dealer should they question whether the maintenance was done.

I keep a running list of all the stuff I've done and include date, mileage, and any parts information. 

aokark

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 02:56:02 AM »
Thank you! I made a list in excel to work with :)

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 03:01:29 AM »
Hey, that's a great idea, aokark. You should be all set now.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()