Author Topic: Auto dealerships and Hosp waiting rooms  (Read 748 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Auto dealerships and Hosp waiting rooms
« on: November 28, 2022, 02:48:11 PM »

Two places that make me nervous!

I'm back in my Chevy dealer's pristine waiting area  (where it echos due to the lack of new cars) while our Equinox gets a new wiper motor per a recall. Let's see how long this "hour or so" job actually takes.
At 9 the young salesmen arrived....boisterous and upbeat, even though it's Monday, they have few new cars to sell....and Ohio State got rocked again by Michigan 🥴 over the weekend.

We have theater seating for the soaps, a one-brew coffee maker....and a  Christmas tree!
As long as that service guy doesn't come out and kneel conspiratorially next to me with his worried look and a clip board....

"Mr. Stig, unfortunately we've found a problem in the wiper's launch codes..........and now your windows won't roll back up"...etc.

At least when I went to the hospital...I  came home with  a working baby....all 6 times.

fingers crossed here
Major Tom
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 02:54:59 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Auto dealerships and Hosp waiting rooms
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 02:59:57 PM »
"A working baby?" Six? You DO know what causes that, doncha? Har, har!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 04:26:24 PM »

He ought to by now!!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 04:43:08 PM »
 Took my car in this morning for new treads, breaks, and wheel alignment. The floor room looked much like Stig’s photo - only a couple cars and plenty of empty desks.

As for the hospital, I’ve spent most of my car travel this past year ferrying my wife from one Dr appt to another. Given the number of fellow patients, Hospitals here in NE Ohio are having a banner year.. Let’s hope 2023 will flip this script.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 05:53:48 PM »
I have a nephew that sell new cars, accirding to him, sales are better than they appear !   Gone is the haggling that we used to do as about 75% or more are now leases.  He sells more vehicles online, than with actual face to face customers..  In fact about 30% of his sales, he never meets the customer, only over a computor !!
About 20% of his sales are shipped to another city or state.  No lonfer dobyou go onto a lot and pick your vehicle, there is one of each model type for you to look at, sit in, or test drive, then you go to a computor to pick out your vehicle from a limited supply online or create a special order.  Some folks actually order and take possesion of a vehicle where certain functions dont work due to chip shortages !!  Customer must return to dealer to have his chip installed when it arrives, sometimes that can be 6 months or longer...different world out there !!!!

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 06:11:11 PM »
dunno about auto dealerships, cause I ain't been in one for more than 30 years (I have been on a used car lots, but that's a different animal altogether)

but I have been in hospital waiting rooms, and since covid, no reading material, no copies of the Union Leader, no magazines, just signs taped to every other seat, "do not sit here", most people twiddle with their cell phones, I don't own one

as of a month ago, good news, the cafeteria is open to the general public again (local hospital is known for it's "not hospital" food, they get patrons off the street, business meetings, etc.)
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 06:56:14 PM »

Each one came home in a VW~!
(Beetle 1*, 2*; VW Jetta 3,4 ; VW 7 seat Vanagon 5 & 6*!)
So, 2 air cooled and 4 water cooled.
* in snow storms.

The Major

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 07:06:54 PM »
Recap:
In 75 mins they had me back on the road. I popped the hood first to see what they might have done - but everything looked OK.

Of course after I handed the service writer the keys - he walked around sticking his fingers in each Michelin to see if he could sell me some new tires.
With only 19K on the tires - they still had very deep treads.
They drew a blank on the engine air filter and the cabin filter, as well.
Better luck next time!

Pained them to see me drive off at no charge!
I understand - somebody has to pay for that glistening building.
I do feel sorry for folks who are just trying to make a living there these days.
Major Tom
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 07:19:38 PM »
Gone is the haggling that we used to do as about 75% or more are now leases.

not sure if you meant to say AND about 75% are leases? ..because while haggling on the price has disappeared during these lean inventory times, you can always negotiate on a lease price! A lease price is merely the difference between selling price and predetermined future value of vehicle, divided by however many months the lease is for..plus interest on the entire amount.

Just don't want the general public thinking that a lease payment is non negotiable..

*former car guy, here...
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 11:56:22 PM »
not sure if you meant to say AND about 75% are leases? ..because while haggling on the price has disappeared during these lean inventory times, you can always negotiate on a lease price! A lease price is merely the difference between selling price and predetermined future value of vehicle, divided by however many months the lease is for..plus interest on the entire amount.

Just don't want the general public thinking that a lease payment is non negotiable..

*former car guy, here...
I am very glad that I no longer am faced with car shopping  --  new or used!....at least for a few years.
I used consumer guides, car reviews and the service HX and accident  HX of the vehicle.
No service history....and I walk away without further ado🙃

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 11:22:57 AM »
My Suzuki 250 (haven't introduced her to the forum yet) is in the dealership for about 6 different recalls on Thursday; that was a nice surprise; receiving the letter from Suzuki to tell me that the previous owners had had no recalls rectified.

If I can get out in 75 minutes, that'd be grand :D
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2022, 02:51:20 PM »
My Suzuki 250 (haven't introduced her to the forum yet) is in the dealership for about 6 different recalls on Thursday; that was a nice surprise; receiving the letter from Suzuki to tell me that the previous owners had had no recalls rectified.

6 recalls?!
We had Suzuki cars sold her for a short time - but I think you are talking about a motorcycle - yes?
Don't know that I've ever heard of more than 2 on a bike or scooter.
Maybe the Brits are more particular than us Gringos?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2022, 01:01:25 PM »
6 recalls?!
We had Suzuki cars sold her for a short time - but I think you are talking about a motorcycle - yes?
Don't know that I've ever heard of more than 2 on a bike or scooter.
Maybe the Brits are more particular than us Gringos?

Stig

Bike, yes. It does seem a lot - I had another Suzuki from new about 7 years ago and that had quite a few as well.

I think they're really stringent on them over here. None of it is what I'd call serious - one is a "design fault with the brake light switch".
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2022, 01:09:20 PM »

Sounds like you’re two wheel mobile again Viper? Cue for a ride in the Spring? So, Suzuki? Is it going to Trent Vale for treatment?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2022, 03:45:48 PM »
Sounds like you’re two wheel mobile again Viper? Cue for a ride in the Spring? So, Suzuki? Is it going to Trent Vale for treatment?

I'd love a ride in the spring. I'm sorry I haven't been in touch this year - I've thought about it a few times but have been struggling with work quite a bit.

The CB250 retired with what I suspected to be crank bearing problems perhaps 6 weeks ago - it's over in Crewe now, apparently - but I've bought a 6 year old Suzuki Inazuma 250 that's been ruthlessly flogged to Nottingham and back ever since.

Indeed, good old Powerslide down in Trent Vale - it's looking a bit sorry for itself in there, actually. Hope they can keep it going when the Suzuki range is looking so bizarre and sparse in the UK at the moment.
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()