Author Topic: 245 vs 489 pounds  (Read 320 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
245 vs 489 pounds
« on: December 10, 2022, 03:06:15 PM »

Guess which one rode like a Buick!?

PS: found those stock-looking mirror stem extenders for the Suzuki in a Brit bike shop, eBay. That extra 1.5" made a wonderful difference!

and vs 417 pounds for the Honda Forza 300.

Stig
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 04:03:56 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

NorWeWa

• View Profile
Re: 245 vs 489 pounds
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 03:16:09 PM »
Heavy weight, is big on the list when I think about a different scooter. Not very strong these days.

Art 

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 04:01:56 PM »

PS: found those stock-looking mirror stem extenders for the Suzuki in a Brit bike shop, eBay. That extra 1.5" made a wonderful difference!

wish extending the mirrors on the AK was as easy as on the Burg, I hafta do some contortions to see directly behind me
RandyO
IBA#9560

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 05:35:06 PM »
wish extending the mirrors on the AK was as easy as on the Burg, I hafta do some contortions to see directly behind me

It still amazes me that 400 class scooter is so near the weight of a 550 scooter, only 10 lbs difference. I also have had a goal of lowering the weight of my ride. I am at the sweet spot right now with the AK. The last time I had to pick up my Burgman 650 (115+ lbs heavier than the AK) I couldn't do it alone... but then, I also didn't remove the pack of a loaded top case and 2 full dry bags on the seat. I think I might have been able to pick it up if I did remove those things. Oh, the reason I even needed to pick it up was that I was coming out of a Mac Donald's parking lot and a super cab pickup truck was pulling into the same lot from the left... but as his front tire just barely touched the inlet ramp he suddenly cranked the steering wheel to the right and gunned the engine hard to get back out on the road... JUST as I was thinking it was clear to go and had started to do my right turn onto that same road. I was the one who put on the brakes hard but since I was already leaned way over for the turn the bike just laid over on its side. Not hard but all the way down. Broke the little ball of the end of the front brake lever and scuffed the mirror cover a little as well as put a hole in my "waterproof" boots (hole was just on the surface and didn't break through the Gore-Tex liner so still waterproof). That driver went into the next driveway and was the one who ran over to help me pick up my Burgman. I let him do most of the work with the full loaded pack still on the bike.

Anyway, the reason for quoting the post that I did. I do agree that the mirror stalks on the AK should have been set a bit farther out. I have found that adjusting the mirrors for a wider view, as I do for every bike I've owned, I can see directly behind me JUST past either elbow. It is not good the set the mirrors to try and see a person standing right up against the tail light but rather to see out to either side somewhat and still see the center of my path of travel maybe 50 ft back. Other vehicles are plenty wide enough that I can see a significant bit of either side of them in one or the other mirror. If I want to see more I can tilt my head just a little and easily see behind even better. It could be improved, but it does work for me as it is.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()