Author Topic: New year; New potential Jobs.  (Read 1654 times)

aschrauth

• Have patience, Don't be in such a Hurry.
    • View Profile
New year; New potential Jobs.
« on: December 17, 2022, 01:19:21 AM »
Hello everyone and Merry Early Christmas

Just curious from everyone, what is the most miles you would ride on your scooter to your workplace?

I was offered a job that I applied to that is twenty miles one way from my location working at a cable company technical support call center. The pay is Excellent at $20.00 an hour with multiple opportunities for advancement and pay plus free cable internet and TV. I currently work at a nursing home and have been for four years making twelve dollars an hour as a resident companion (someone who makes beds, Feeds residents, Etc.

I have a BA degree in criminal Justice and have no interest being in the nursing field as a nurse or a CNA. Personally, I think it is too hard on your body for what you make plus it doesn’t help that the nursing home that I work at is one of the lowest paying homes in the state of Missouri as well as people leaving at a rapid pace due to not wanting to work in healthcare field due to the low pay and the constant short staffage. In addition there is little room for advancement at this company without being inside the nursing field. 

On the other hand, I was offered a job at Walmart in the Auto Department changing tires, Batteries, Headlights, and oil. This location is only six miles one way from my house and pays at eighteen dollars. However, my middle brother works at the same location and states it is not worth what they pay you for work that you do.

As someone who is absoutly terrified of change I find it very difficult to do anything out of the ordinary but I know If I want to grow I need to step out of my confort zone.  What would you do if you were in my shoes and do you think that it is worth it to ride my scooter or should I just travel by car?
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: New year; New potential Jobs.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 03:38:26 AM »
Man, get out of that dead end job!
No one likes change, but if you can work with people - as you do now - and have a BA, then you can hack anything that tech job can throw at you!
Get there however...car or scooter, but move yourself where advancement is possible.
Your future looks promising....if you'll take on your fear of change. Remember....all new jobs are pretty scary at first.  Then it gets better.
We've all been there!
Best wishes!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 04:03:32 AM »
Man, get out of that dead end job!
No one likes change, but if you can work with people - as you do now - and have a BA, then you can hack anything that tech job can throw at you!
Get there however...car or scooter, but move yourself where advancement is possible.
Your future looks promising....if you'll take on your fear of change. Remember....all new jobs are pretty scary at first.  Then it gets better.
We've all been there!
Best wishes!

Stig

Thanks Stig, I have somewhat of a fear of traveling far distances from my home; I dont know why, My grandmother was the same way; In my heart I know I am worth way more than what i currently am making now. I think the most thing that I am frightened about is change. How far have you rode at once. Thing I am most afraid of is the commute on my scooter.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 11:29:12 AM »
My opinion fwiw, take the job. Tough for six months as you “bed in” then it starts to flow. Next question is how you commute. 40 mile round trip?  From personal 20+ years commuting 50 mile round trip by motorcycle, OK only occasionally on anything less than 250cc  I once tried a 175cc bike and quickly traded it in for a 750!

So, if mixing car and scooter is an option, fine. If not, then I’d advise car only or up the size of your ride?

Good luck with the new job, I’m sure you’ll smash it!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 11:34:11 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 12:14:28 PM »
I used to commute 60 miles ONE WAY to go to engineering school (worthless) so my wife (at the time) would not have to commute the same distance to attend nursing school (good school of real value). I did most of that 120 miles per day on my first motorcycle. I did eventually get my first car because the winters got pretty severe.

There. Got the "there I was at 20000 feet" story out of the way to say, GO FOR IT! Well, first, ask God for advice and listen to Him, not us. I did not do that one simple thing and wound up over 50 and overqualified for nearly any job and was nearly unemployable.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2022, 12:17:29 PM »
I agree with Neil.
Take the job....and take the car. 20 mile scooter commute is more stress than you need at this point, all things considered 🙂
If possible...maybe do some "practice runs". Break up the distance in quarters. 5 miles. Then further, etc., as you get used to the route.  Possible to have someone accompany you for awhile?
Unease at starting new job, and unease at getting too far away from one's nest....is not as uncommon as people think. It is not a deal breaker, and it is something you can conquer.

We're rooting for you!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2022, 04:15:27 PM »
I'll chime in here, too...make the move, take the job! I'm a Regional Sales Manager for a large Healthcare company..and I've managed a lot of salespeople over the years. There's nothing wrong with moving jobs to better yourself and career. Take the new job, show that you're an asset to the company, be great at your job, help your co-workers and show that you have ambition and want to continue to move up and take on more responsibility.

As crazy as it sounds, the best way to really grow your income is to take a new job/position every few years. We joke that if you want a big raise you have to quit the company and get hired back at your new desired pay.

12 to 20 is a significant increase...and I'm sure that is a starting wage. With strong performance you should be able to keep bumping that up.

It's a cliche, but true, change is the only constant in life. Good luck!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2022, 11:36:29 PM »
I'll chime in here, too...make the move, take the job! I'm a Regional Sales Manager for a large Healthcare company..and I've managed a lot of salespeople over the years. There's nothing wrong with moving jobs to better yourself and career. Take the new job, show that you're an asset to the company, be great at your job, help your co-workers and show that you have ambition and want to continue to move up and take on more responsibility.

As crazy as it sounds, the best way to really grow your income is to take a new job/position every few years. We joke that if you want a big raise you have to quit the company and get hired back at your new desired pay.

12 to 20 is a significant increase...and I'm sure that is a starting wage. With strong performance you should be able to keep bumping that up.

It's a cliche, but true, change is the only constant in life. Good luck!

20.00 is the starting wage. My brother works for the same company as well and has been with them for six months and already makes over $25.00; there is tons of room for advancement.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2022, 11:41:33 PM »
Aschrauth - I'm still a Regional Sales Manager for the Healthcare Company. I manage a multi state Region with 7 remote sales reps. Each of them cover half a state or more. We sell surgical disposables, infection prevention products and some capital equipment to hospitals. I travel about 1/4 of the time, visiting my reps and spending a few days with them calling on the hospitals. I hire, train, coach and encourage my reps, It's fun taking someone new to the industry, coaching them along and watching them grow, develop and eventually get promoted to other positions. Sales isn't for everyone..but I thoroughly enjoy it.

I've spent a lot of windshield time in my career...some commutes can be good. It gives you time to unwind and decompress from your workday before you get home! You'll never know how it will be unless you give it a try.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2022, 11:44:27 PM »
Aschrauth - I'm still a Regional Sales Manager for the Healthcare Company. I manage a multi state Region with 7 remote sales reps. Each of them cover half a state or more. We sell surgical disposables, infection prevention products and some capital equipment to hospitals. I travel about 1/4 of the time, visiting my reps and spending a few days with them calling on the hospitals. I hire, train, coach and encourage my reps, It's fun taking someone new to the industry, coaching them along and watching them grow, develop and eventually get promoted to other positions. Sales isn't for everyone..but I thoroughly enjoy it.

I've spent a lot of windshield time in my career...some commutes can be good. It gives you time to unwind and decompress from your workday before you get home! You'll never know how it will be unless you give it a try.

I agree. Im no stranger to seeing surgical equipment in the Healthcare field.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2022, 11:57:37 PM »
@Stig / Major Tom@Neil955i@CROSSBOLT
@Iahawk
 I want to thank everyone if I did not currently reply to your post on the words of encouragement, It means so much to me to get other peoples opionions and I want to thank you for taking time out of your day to reply to my post.

I had an interview @ walmart today and was offered $17.00 to work as an Automotive tec. If I do accept the job it would start on the 21st of january( Two weeks). I have an in person interview with the Cable company ( Charter) as a call center represenitive next Thursday. My gut feeling tells me to take Charter but an Auto Tech  job is close to home and within my confort zone. When I had my interview they stated they were really short staffed and that worries me that I am going to be worked to the bone changing oil and tires. My gut tells me to take the job at charter and leave the grunt  work at walmart along ( No disrespect to anyone who works at walmart)
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2022, 12:24:52 AM »
@Stig / Major Tom@Neil955i@CROSSBOLT
@Iahawk
 I want to thank everyone if I did not currently reply to your post on the words of encouragement, It means so much to me to get other peoples opionions and I want to thank you for taking time out of your day to reply to my post.

I had an interview @ walmart today and was offered $17.00 to work as an Automotive tec. If I do accept the job it would start on the 21st of january( Two weeks). I have an in person interview with the Cable company ( Charter) as a call center represenitive next Thursday. My gut feeling tells me to take Charter but an Auto Tech  job is close to home and within my confort zone. When I had my interview they stated they were really short staffed and that worries me that I am going to be worked to the bone changing oil and tires. My gut tells me to take the job at charter and leave the grunt  work at walmart along ( No disrespect to anyone who works at walmart)
Knowing several walmart  people personally my decision would be with Charter and I know nothing about them. Charter sounds smaller work item size, lighter, cleaner, mo' money and devoid of astoundingly lame decisions of Walmart bigshots not even near the store. We spend a lot at the local Walmart but I would gladly go elsewhere. If my opinion mattered...
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2022, 03:07:51 PM »
I grew up around a dealership and my first job out of college was selling cars..I've seen a lot of techs and the wear and tear that occurs over time. Wonderful, necessary work they do...but if you have an option of earning more without all the physical wear and tear that will involve..I'd take the higher paying, non physically demanding job.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2022, 11:27:33 PM »
one last comment...I just spent 3 1/2 hours in my garage swapping my summer tires and wheels for my winter rubber on the steelies. Doing that plus cleaning and lubing my slide pins on all 4 calipers...pulling tires off my wall mount rack, doing all the work and putting the summer tires up on the rack....and I'm beat. Granted, I'm middle aged and getting a little soft...but still, ..damn...I couldn't imagine doing that multiple times each day, all day, every day. Tire work is very hard on the back...sure hope you'll consider the cable company job!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2022, 04:41:52 AM »
I grew up around a dealership and my first job out of college was selling cars..I've seen a lot of techs and the wear and tear that occurs over time. Wonderful, necessary work they do...but if you have an option of earning more without all the physical wear and tear that will involve..I'd take the higher paying, non physically demanding job.

You are exactly right! I decided to decline the job offer at walmart. I enjoy working on my own scooter and car, not so as much as other peoples. I think I will take the call center position, it is a desk job with great benifits; plus without all the wear and tear on my body.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()