Author Topic: New year; New potential Jobs.  (Read 1648 times)

aschrauth

• Have patience, Don't be in such a Hurry.
    • View Profile
Re: New year; New potential Jobs.
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2022, 04:44:33 AM »
one last comment...I just spent 3 1/2 hours in my garage swapping my summer tires and wheels for my winter rubber on the steelies. Doing that plus cleaning and lubing my slide pins on all 4 calipers...pulling tires off my wall mount rack, doing all the work and putting the summer tires up on the rack....and I'm beat. Granted, I'm middle aged and getting a little soft...but still, ..damn...I couldn't imagine doing that multiple times each day, all day, every day. Tire work is very hard on the back...sure hope you'll consider the cable company job!

I did my tires for the first time last year because they were dryrotting and I dont think the pair that came with my scooter were OEM. My God I never want to do that again, the fustration, in my honest opionion I think I will do it again but instead of using tire spoons I will get a small tire changer, like one of the ones sold at harbor freight. I Had to replace my fuel lines this weekend. I did it back in July but I used Chinese fuel line and it hardend and cracked. From now it is Tygon line for everything.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2022, 04:57:52 AM »
Knowing several walmart  people personally my decision would be with Charter and I know nothing about them. Charter sounds smaller work item size, lighter, cleaner, mo' money and devoid of astoundingly lame decisions of Walmart bigshots not even near the store. We spend a lot at the local Walmart but I would gladly go elsewhere. If my opinion mattered...

Charter in Missouri is a cable company that provides customers to services similar to at&t such as internet, Tv or phone services. I ended up declining walmarts position due to the fact of the grunt work that would be involved in being an automotive tech. I would much wrather work on my own ar and scooter instead of someone elses.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2022, 10:26:49 AM »
I know I'm very late to the party here but I also have a long commute, albeit only 1 or 2 days a week nowadays - 50 miles each way.

You do get used to it. Only in the last few months have I had something with more than 20 horsepower to do the route with; you just get used to the slow trundle towards where you need to be.

Now, we; as I expect do most; have certain pressure on cost of living which means I couldn't afford to drive this commute if I wanted to, despite my partner owning a reasonably economic car. So doing the trip on a small capacity, efficient bike is now a necessity.

Stay wrapped up warm. Fit a pair of heated grips - there's low-draw ones especially for scooters out there. You get used to it, and after a while you even start to like it.

Having worked out what 12$ is in £, I can see this is going to make a real difference to your quality of life, and wish you all the best for it!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2022, 06:10:39 PM »
My ex-wife retired from Walmart, for her, it was a decent job, she quickly rose from greeter to department manager, (she had been an assistant manager at a Burger King prior) pay scale & benefits escalated quickly to, because of her quick advancement, other employees didn't like her much.  Even after we were divorced, she gave me her extra employee discount card. Saved me a ton of $$ when I opened my new office

But, being a grunt in the auto dept at Walmart probably isn't a place for quick advancement unless there is high turnover and the dept manager is nearing retirement
RandyO
IBA#9560

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2022, 03:58:49 AM »
I know I'm very late to the party here but I also have a long commute, albeit only 1 or 2 days a week nowadays - 50 miles each way.

You do get used to it. Only in the last few months have I had something with more than 20 horsepower to do the route with; you just get used to the slow trundle towards where you need to be.

Now, we; as I expect do most; have certain pressure on cost of living which means I couldn't afford to drive this commute if I wanted to, despite my partner owning a reasonably economic car. So doing the trip on a small capacity, efficient bike is now a necessity.

Stay wrapped up warm. Fit a pair of heated grips - there's low-draw ones especially for scooters out there. You get used to it, and after a while you even start to like it.

Having worked out what 12$ is in £, I can see this is going to make a real difference to your quality of life, and wish you all the best for it!

Thank you from across the river in the United States. Is pay any different than where you are located?
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2022, 08:05:08 AM »

Our minimum wage is about $14, but the cost of living is more I think - swings and roundabouts!

Ride safe.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2022, 10:03:35 AM »
Our minimum wage is about $14, but the cost of living is more I think - swings and roundabouts!

Ride safe.

Particularly the cost of fuel (gas), thank you Mr PooTin
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2022, 04:39:42 AM »

Ride safe.

I have been at my current job for four years now and only make 12 dollars an hour. Mimimum wage in missouri is 11.15. I dont know who is the fool here, me for staying with the company or the company for paying its employees a laughable wage. Seeing rent in my area goes for over 900+ for a one bedroom one bath apartment. It is very hard to make ends meet. Hopefully by the end of December I will get this job offer, I hope.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2022, 06:01:05 PM »
NH goes by Federal minimum wage, $7.25 currently, imho, keeps kids off the streets doing vandalism, instead they are working at the local supermarket bagging groceries,  yes, even though the number of self checkout lanes are increasing, we still have plenty of cashiers and bagboys/girls
RandyO
IBA#9560

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2022, 04:40:50 AM »
NH goes by Federal minimum wage, $7.25 currently, imho, keeps kids off the streets doing vandalism, instead they are working at the local supermarket bagging groceries,  yes, even though the number of self checkout lanes are increasing, we still have plenty of cashiers and bagboys/girls

THats how I saved up and bought my first car was working $7.25 an hour at a greenhouse loading mulch into peoples cars and watering flowers. It may not be a lot but for a young teenageer who still lives at home it was for me. My parents did not give allowances, they believed that the roof over your head and the food you eat was your allowance so $7.25 was alot for me. 
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()