Author Topic: [what do you prefer] small motor bike or big bike  (Read 4076 times)

grantourismo

• View Profile
[what do you prefer] small motor bike or big bike
« on: November 28, 2010, 12:59:44 PM »
so what is your preference on this one?

small bike like a cbr 150 nsr 150 or big bike like Suzuki TL1000

I never own a big bike before but I think small bike are cool and easy to keep as well as maintain

what is your preference ? ;D

axy

• View Profile
Re: [what do you prefer] small motor bike or big bike
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 01:48:49 PM »
Scoots for scoot duties.
Bikes for bike duties.

I do not like "middle ground" (for example, 500-600 cc scoots or 500 cc bikes).
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 03:28:10 PM »
I would have to say small for me because I'm not muscular enough to safely handle a big bike...but if I was...

I would try them ALL! :D

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 03:31:54 PM »
for maintaining reasons I well stick with a 50 cc im not much of a penny safer but 50 cc is esay to maintain.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 03:25:53 AM »
I'll take a medium to medium/high displacement.

But not the biggest and bulkiest machine.

Always remember folks, it's your machine's power to weight ratio . . .  Power divided by gross Weight . . .   It's your fun factor!   Well. . . if you like taking off, that is.  You want a high number.  Most manufacturers don't publish correct figures if they publish them at all so research a little bit.

That's why I think I'd like a T-Max or Gilera 500.  But for the money >:(

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 05:15:30 AM »
Yep, Rianna, "safely handle" are the key words there.  I'm sure you could handle a much bigger bike or scoot once you get experience . . . however, there are times when the rider does have to muscle the thing around.  Such as slow turns on uneven ground or pavement.  Stopping on uneven ground or sand, leaves, etc.  Stopping on a side slope. Backing up or moving it around with engine off. 

I know my left leg is barely strong enough to steady myself and the Xciting as it is.  Though the worst that could happen is I dump it at a stop or backing up somewhere.  Still, that CAN cause injury!  I know I'm taking a chance. 

I expect one day, as I get EVEN OLDER, I'll downsize to a smaller scooter.   

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 05:28:11 AM »
Yes, that's my concern with a bigger bike. I could get into a jam that I wouldn't be able to get out of as easily as someone else might and get seriously injured.

Well I'm glad you can still ride, though, Hoolander. And you have a nice Xciting. I hope you can ride it for a long time to come. :)

grantourismo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 06:44:25 AM »
Scoots for scoot duties.
Bikes for bike duties.

I do not like "middle ground" (for example, 500-600 cc scoots or 500 cc bikes).

please explain why you dont like middle ground ???

TPococke

• Pueblo, Colorado United States
  • "Life is Good!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 10:20:31 AM »
I started with an  Aprilia Scarabeo 200 which is actually about a 160cc I believe. I got the Xciting 500 so I could keep up with my wife and Yamaha FJR 1300. I still mostly ride the Aprilia but I prefer the Xcitings 500cc.
Just remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 10:32:58 AM »
please explain why you dont like middle ground ???

A few reasons.

1. Scoots (ALL SCOOTS) have poor suspension that is usually not fully adjustable (3 way front and rear).
That is just a mid-impact problem with 125-300 cc scoots, but with 400+ cc scoots that can reach 160-180 km/h this can be a real problem and, in my own opinion, could be quite dangerous.

2. I do not like 500-600 cc bikes because they are simply too slow, especially for riding two up. Furthermore, these bikes have very narrow seats and they are not comfortable for long rides. They usually develop their power highly and need to be revved up.

3. Big scoots are usually very expensive, and I would rather buy a bike. Furthermore, small bikes are usually too quite expensive, and I would rather invest 20 % more money and buy something I would be satisified with.

4. 500-600 cc bikes very often have poor brakes (just one disc in the front and sometimes even drum in the rear).

5. The price of big scoots and the fact they consume as much fuel as a small car and often more than a big motorcycle renders them useless (at least to me).

6. Big scoots usually have small tires and they are less manoeuvrable thank big bikes; big scoots are very heavy, typically 500 cc scoot weighs as much as 1200-1300 cc big bore bike and 15-20 % more than similar sports bike or sports touring.

Generally, for the price of new 600 cc scoot from Yamaha or Honda you can get 750-1200 cc big bore bike.

These are just some of the reasons I can think of right now.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Yager E

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 12:55:58 AM »
IMO, which bike to get is like using the right tool for the job. I have two big touring bikes (Electra Glide and Gold Wing) for two up touring and Patriot Guard missions. A '97 BMW 1100 for the mountains and twisties outside my front door, and the Yager GT for riding locally and being carried places on the RV.

I've had large touring bikes for a long time, but they aren't for the new rider. I would recommend getting one that is comfortable (especially if riding two up a lot), easy to handle, and has enough power to do what you need it to do. The right tool for the job!
Elliot

2010 Yager GT 200i
Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Support our Troops!

lankeeyankee

• I have an attitude problem with stupidity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 03:35:28 PM »
It all depends I own a 99 Yamaha VMAX1200 bored out with nitrous which weighs in around 600lbs and makes 170HP / 220HP with nitrous and my scooter which makes around 12HP with the small 155CC engine and weighs around 220lbs.  Motorcycle LB to HP= 2.7 lb to hp and the scooter 18.3 lb to hp so the motorcycle has almost 10X more the power.
There are days I enjoy riding the scooter and there are days I enjoy riding the VMAX for the power and speed rush.
Some days cruising at 60MPH is fun and there are days I like to go 160MPH

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 08:02:49 PM »
It all depends I own a 99 Yamaha VMAX1200 bored out with nitrous which weighs in around 600lbs and makes 170HP / 220HP with nitrous

I like this bike. Completely unusable on the twisty road, but great looker.
I'd put it in my living room instead of furniture. :) :) :)
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

lankeeyankee

• I have an attitude problem with stupidity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 03:55:49 AM »
I like this bike. Completely unusable on the twisty road, but great looker.
I'd put it in my living room instead of furniture. :) :) :)

LOL! Yes you are correct Axy!
It is a very dangerous ride due to its performance with lack of braking and handling on the bias ply tires.
It handles like a dump truck with flat tires. Between the frame flex causing hi speed wobbles and the lack of stopping power it can hurt a person that doesn't know its limits.
The arm socket pulling torque along with capabilities of spinning the tire on pavement at 55MPH is a rush! I will admit its a death sentence anything over 135MPH with white knuckles holding on! Over the 8 years of owning the bike it has been through 4 engines. Its been down the dragstrip many of times though.
Here is a video after I installed an automatic throttle and clutch control.
0-130 mph in 9 seconds. crappy video i know its from a cell phone taped to my helmet and i know it doesnt look like 130mph due to the frame per seconds making the road pass by slow but look at the speedometer needle 3/4 pegged on a 155 speedo
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 04:02:29 AM by lankeeyankee »

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 09:00:34 AM »
You don't wear gloves!? :o

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()