Author Topic: In your experience......??  (Read 731 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
In your experience......??
« on: January 01, 2023, 04:08:42 PM »
While riding along in the dark and the rain yesterday morning on my 2012 Kymco LIKE200iLX I got to thinking - "wonder what electrical thing is going to be the first thing to quit and strand me out here some dark morning?"

Much more than a spark-plug, cap, wire or coil would be too much for a roadside fix - but wonder what I could replace every 10 years to forestall a roadside breakdown.
I'm figuring that it would likely be electrical in nature - the CVT is cared for too religiously to be a concern. I don't wait to see how long a $45 belt will last - I just replace 'em per the schedule....probably while they still have thousands of miles of life remaining on them. I don't care. "Off" they come!

Your thoughts?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

scooter freak

• View Profile
Re: In your experience......??
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 04:17:56 PM »
I think you're the test mule, don't know anyone who rides like you do. I'm using you as the meter on my own 200 like. You're one of the reasons I bought it in the first place. figured if you can't wear it out I certainly can't

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 04:19:31 PM »
that's a great question..I would also agree that it would likely be something electrical..but how many of those could potentially strand you? CDI, stator, fuel pump (on your fuel injected scoot)..starter...ignition switch potentially wearing out some day?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

NorWeWa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 04:35:39 PM »
Not a lot of experience with electrical components failures. I have read that sometimes the component failure is related to the connectors and corrosion. I have gotten in the habit of using aerosol contact spray into connectors regularly. Spark plug wires seem to fail before other main electrical  components. The spark plug wires on my Toyota went 206,000 miles before they started to give signs of missing and rough running.

Art 

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 06:21:17 PM »
I've had 4 stator failures on my V-strom 1000. Not uncommon for 1st gen v-stroms. they fail for 2 reasons, 1, thin wiring in the windings just burn themselves out. and 2, the permanent magnets come unglued and move

I  have never had #2 happen, always burnt wiring, one time 100 miles from home, unplugged headlights, and headed home, made it 70 miles. Another biker saw me pushing, and went home to get his trailer, and rescued me. another time, at night, only unplugged 1 of the 2 headlights, made it to within a mile of my son's house do I pushed it there, the other 2 times, I was able to make it home

Because it is such a common thing, I added a voltmeter before it even happened once, so I noticed the failure when I was still between 12 & 13 volts, fuel pump stops working between 8 and 9 volts

I am working on a modification, an auxiliary charging system, I've got it partially installed,

an alternator for a drag car, 75 amps, and can withstand the high rpms of a motorcycle, the person I bought this 1 off setup, machined a crankshaft extension to drive the pulley/belt setup. now I'm in the process of designing and fabricating an auxiliary battery box

I'm glad the AK550 has a voltmeter without adding one, I may add one to my K-Pipe, charging system failures suck bigtime
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 06:23:33 PM by randyo »
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2023, 08:06:28 PM »
It’s why I pay my RAC membership (think AAA in the US) covers the car and bikes. I’ve used their recovery once fora motorcycle miles from home, so for me it’s worth it for the peace of mind.

Edit:  Why can't I learn not to tempt fate?  The morning after writing this my X-Town developed a transmission (?) fault whereby I can rev it to 7K+ and it still only delivers a whining 45-50 mph.  See separate thread where I ask for diagnostic suggestions for where to start looking for the cause.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 02:59:02 PM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2023, 09:40:32 PM »
It’s why I pay my RAC membership (think AAA in the US) covers the car and bikes. I’ve used their recovery once fora motorcycle miles from home, so for me it’s worth it for the peace of mind.

standard AAA doesn't cover bikes, you need the Premere RV membership, just renewed mine, I also have a card for my GF. cost was $202  Last year I used it 3 times, towing my Tacoma to the shop, so I easily got my moneys worth
RandyO
IBA#9560

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2023, 02:49:14 PM »
While riding along in the dark and the rain yesterday morning on my 2012 Kymco LIKE200iLX I got to thinking - "wonder what electrical thing is going to be the first thing to quit and strand me out here some dark morning?"

Much more than a spark-plug, cap, wire or coil would be too much for a roadside fix - but wonder what I could replace every 10 years to forestall a roadside breakdown.
I'm figuring that it would likely be electrical in nature - the CVT is cared for too religiously to be a concern. I don't wait to see how long a $45 belt will last - I just replace 'em per the schedule....probably while they still have thousands of miles of life remaining on them. I don't care. "Off" they come!

Your thoughts?

Stig

My Like200i used to blow the auxillary fuse every so often, so I'd hedge my bets on electrical.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2023, 07:08:08 PM »
standard AAA doesn't cover bikes, you need the Premere RV membership, just renewed mine, I also have a card for my GF. cost was $202  Last year I used it 3 times, towing my Tacoma to the shop, so I easily got my moneys worth
Worst case scenario is I have to push my scoot another mile or two to get within 15 miles of my dealer or my house - because the $10 per year I pay Progressive for my Road Side Assistance  will get me home from there.....or jump my battery or fix my flat, etc.
I'm never further than 15 miles from a buddy, dealer, coffee shop or home!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2023, 09:33:11 AM »
A Kymco Downtown - the indicators short out or stop flashing because the wiring connectors are not waterproof.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2023, 06:24:32 PM »
Worst case scenario is I have to push my scoot another mile or two to get within 15 miles of my dealer or my house - because the $10 per year I pay Progressive for my Road Side Assistance  will get me home from there.....or jump my battery or fix my flat, etc.
I'm never further than 15 miles from a buddy, dealer, coffee shop or home!

Stig

My GF has a converted school bus, so the extra $$ for RV covers that too, but the only thing I've used it for is that damn Toyota, never again is what I said the last time I owned a Toyota,

most of my travels are close, but due to HCA purchasing the local hospital, and half the staff jumping ship, I am now going up to 30 miles to doctor visits, and I occasionally visit my brother, a 200 mile trip. But most of all, I want to start Long Distance Riding again, the AK will be perfect for IBA rides. I have been contemplating a 50cc (coast to coast in 50 hours), my next step in IronButt Association rides, I've done the SS1k and a BBG (my Bunburner Gold, was from Newington NH, to Joplin, MO, in 23:05)
RandyO
IBA#9560

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2023, 07:13:27 PM »
The morning after writing this my X-Town developed a transmission (?) fault whereby I can rev it to 7K+ and it still only delivers a whining 45-50 mph.  See separate thread where I ask for diagnostic suggestions for where to start looking for the cause.
That's obviously something in the drive train which is dead-simple to solve.  It's routine maintenance. The drive is basically a v-belt and a centrifugal clutch. They're totally worn-out in 20,000 miles, not a big deal. Pop the cover and take a look.  With spare parts in hand, it can be all done in 1/2 hour. On a Harley, it would take 3 months!

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2023, 02:54:08 PM »
Thanks for that JJJoseph.  It's my intention to await delivery of the belt, rollers & sliders I've ordered before popping the cover off and getting stuck in.  Delivery promised for the window 14-26 January!  Clearly it's a long way for the postie to walk from Italy to the UK...
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2023, 03:11:53 PM »
Thanks for that JJJoseph.  It's my intention to await delivery of the belt, rollers & sliders I've ordered before popping the cover off and getting stuck in.  Delivery promised for the window 14-26 January!  Clearly it's a long way for the postie to walk from Italy to the UK...

Here's hoping the customs man/lady isn't going to come knocking for you...
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2023, 09:46:24 AM »
Here's hoping the customs man/lady isn't going to come knocking for you...

Oh I fully expect the import taxes catch…
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()