Author Topic: Diagnostics Advice sought (X-Town 300i)  (Read 3751 times)

NorWeWa

• View Profile
Re: Diagnostics Advice sought (X-Town 300i)
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2023, 07:06:59 PM »
Personally, I'd go for the new scooter. 

Art 

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2023, 07:19:08 PM »
as someone who removed, disassembled, reassembled and reinstalled an engine in a Kymco scooter last year...it's really not that difficult. A quick parts lookup shows a crank at $294 USD, plus another $50 in gaskets and crank seals...but many hours in the workshop.

so my advice is to...look for the new scooter! Perfect excuse to the wife...but honey, my crankshaft is shot! I have to get a new scooter!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2023, 09:17:48 PM »

Yeah, my first thought was "new crankshaft"!.....(I priced that crank....then there is the labor!) but that was so horrible - hoping a fix was possible.
IF indeed the tops of those splines are scuffed and missing some steel .....as they seem to be back there towards the boss.

Then yeah, you risk having a complete CVT failure some day when you are in some road situation that would be very unsafe.
Belt breaks are scary enough - but if things bound up in there with a shattered front pully ...a locked rear wheel would be bad.

Ah geez....Neil, no $$ assistance from the dealer who last installed that nut?
Just very bad luck Neil.
We're all feeling it.....

Yep. New scooter shopping. Or a nice used one, but only if the price is right.
Hang in there....

Major Tom
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2023, 09:45:15 PM »
Neil, before you decide to dump your scoot and sell it for parts, get another opinion from somebody who is doing machine work.

For a workshop it's the easiest solution to tell the customer, financial writeoff, costs more than its value.....yada yada yada...
Most of them are afraid to do such a motorjob, for they lack experience.

What I would do if I had this scoot here in my workshop:
-take this drive boss off as suggested
-put this boss on the lathe, cut off 2mm
-now I have 2mm more of grooves for the new CVT
-install new CVT and see how it works
IMHO there is still enough material to hold your fan blade.
But as I said, this I would do on my own scoot and to my own risk.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 09:51:13 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2023, 02:20:57 AM »
The bad news is that the workshop says the crankshaft is junked.  eMail from the mechanic says "Sorry crank destroyed , new crank required. 
Cranks cost approx. £450 engine needs to be split in half , labour wise about £400 and several other parts do wish me to price up?"

Not what I wanted to hear!

My response so far is, before asking him to go ahead and repair, what is its part ex value, as is, against a DTX320 (which I've had my eye on for a while) to see if that might reduce the hassle as they're available within 24 hours.

To be continued...
Not by what I see in the picture of the spines! Someone already mentioned too scrape the aluminium out of the splines. (You like my "aluminium? That's what you guys say in the movies!") The spines are hardened after being formed so no real problem, in my opinion. Loctite "Bearing Mount" for the splines and Loctite Blue thread locker for the nut (or equivalent).

That crank ought to be fine if that shaft is not bent. This is the point to tell me what I have missed the makes this dissertation invalid!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2023, 08:00:37 AM »
Thanks guys, for all the suggestions and moral support. My thinking today is that I’ve now seen two catastrophic CVT failures on this scoot* and I’m losing faith in the bike. The marque I still have a good opinion of, but this machine?…

So I’m inclining towards cutting my losses and moving on, taking it all as a sign from a higher power!  I’ll keep y’all updated.

* OK first one covered by warranty. This one I got to suck up.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2023, 08:02:59 AM »

so my advice is to...look for the new scooter! Perfect excuse to the wife...but honey, my crankshaft is shot! I have to get a new scooter!

My thoughts entirely Hawk!  Actually she’s quite supportive on the subject - it’s still cheaper than a second car.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2023, 08:07:46 AM »
Not by what I see in the picture of the spines! Someone already mentioned too scrape the aluminium out of the splines. (You like my "aluminium? That's what you guys say in the movies!") The spines are hardened after being formed so no real problem, in my opinion. Loctite "Bearing Mount" for the splines and Loctite Blue thread locker for the nut (or equivalent).

That crank ought to be fine if that shaft is not bent. This is the point to tell me what I have missed the makes this dissertation invalid!

Yes, I see what you did there Karl.  I’m sure if you have the time, skills and cash it’s eminently fixable, but I’m deficient in 2 out of 3 of those categories!  My objective now is to get my preferred form of transport back asap. That’s pointing me in the replacement route.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2023, 09:27:49 AM »
Dealer came back with a great offer!  P/X only £250 down on what they offered me on a running scoot 6 months ago!!  Offering 48-hour delivery, so I've told them to go ahead and I'll have the green one.  They just said yes, it's in stock so I could be mobile again by the end of the week?

I'll update you guys when I hear more.

Update:  Even better news, latest response from the Dealer: 

"You don't need to come down with paper work we can collect when you collect or we deliver your new bike

There are on road costs of  road tax 47 fuel 15 registration fee 80 number plate 15

Total on road cost £157.00 & delivery Free

All we need is full name and address of where your new bike is to be registered"

Andy, Sales

Given their asking price was £59 lower than Kymco UK list, the OTD price dealer add on is less than £100!  Plus with free delivery to me, that's even less hassle; I'm a happy bunny.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 09:43:34 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2023, 09:43:22 AM »
Dealer came back with a great offer!  P/X only £250 down on what they offered me on a running scoot 6 months ago!!  Offering 48-hour delivery, so I've told them to go ahead and I'll have the green one.  They just said yes, it's in stock so I could be mobile again by the end of the week?

I'll update you guys when I hear more.
Works for you is what works for me! Can't wait for pictures of your new ride!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2023, 09:49:07 AM »
Works for you is what works for me! Can't wait for pictures of your new ride!

Thanks Karl.  As I updated above, I'm a happy bunny.  A new scoot and an extremely fair trade in offer.  If it had been one of a fleet of scooters I may have been tempted to try a repair, but then who am I kidding?  I'm no Ruffus!  As I sit here looking out on a dry, sunny and mild February day, I'd far sooner be out there riding than huddled over a gazillion engine bits on the garage floor!

Be sure the pictures will follow in due course.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2023, 12:43:50 PM »
Neil, congrats and I'm happy it comes out well for you. Am a little bit "green" of envy too, not only your scoot.😉😉
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2023, 01:49:09 PM »
So it all worked out for the best! Congratulations, Neil. We can't wait for pics and ride reports.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2023, 03:46:11 PM »
Thanks both.  Now the big question, when I get it do I whip off the CVT cover and check the torque settings on the Variator and clutch nuts?...
 ;D
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2023, 04:17:20 PM »
Thanks both.  Now the big question, when I get it do I whip off the CVT cover and check the torque settings on the Variator and clutch nuts?...
 ;D

after all said and done.... "Well played, Neil!"

just kidding.....I know you didn't go in there and ....you know....with the nut....

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()