Author Topic: NSR: The British Invasion, this date Feb 7, 1964  (Read 329 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
NSR: The British Invasion, this date Feb 7, 1964
« on: February 07, 2023, 02:31:30 PM »
The BEATLES arrive in the U.S.A.
I read :
"The British Invasion was a cultural phenomenon of the mid-1960s, when rock and pop music acts from the United Kingdom.... and other aspects of British culture became popular in the United States."

Seems to sum it up well.

My father was stationed in Paris....so we missed the Ed Sullivan show with the Beatles....but we'd been listening to them, and a lot of other British groups on pirate radio stations for quite some time.
A folk music fan at the time -   I began to appreciate these guys a lot more as the decades passed.

A fav performance (Judy Collins did it well, too)

My daughter says this is the best Beatles movie.

Stig
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 02:59:17 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: NSR: The British Invasion, this date Feb 7, 1964
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 02:38:46 PM »
"Pirate" stations?  Radio Luxembourg perchance?  Or maybe Caroline?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 06:37:10 PM »
"Pirate" stations?  Radio Luxembourg perchance?  Or maybe Caroline?
Yeah, Radio Luxembourg rings a bell - I think most of what we listened to was from that station. My brother told me some of the music was from off-shore ships, pirate stations?
No TV for our 4.5 yrs in France - so we listened to the radio a lot!
Many performers came through Paris - but the only one I saw was P.P. and Mary at the Olympia. I pulled a large poster of the event off the outside of the place. Stole it and ran.

Man, if you had a British accent in those days you were the coolest!
I was only in London twice, for 3 days each - for a soccer game and a football game against school from Lakenheath AF Base. We flew in a prop airplane. Landed in a grass field!
Then our bus driver drove fast and on the wrong side of the road!! He warned us about crossing the streets while looking the wrong way. A very real danger for a bunch of teens!

We practiced in Hyde park, near our hotel, until the bobbies came along and chewed out my coach for messing up the grass.
I think we won both games.
That's where I bought a can of genuine London Fog. (probably had air in it from Calcutta) (yeah, I opened it...weeks later)
Still have the tailored Harris Tweed sports coat in the closet. Should fit again .....about 2 mos after I pass. That and my German guitar are the only things I have from those years. One pic of my prom date and I on the Eiffel Tower (prom there at the Jules Verne restaurant 1966) School booked that 3 yrs in advance.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 12:56:48 PM »
My first memory of London was in 1970 driving across the city towing a caravan belonging to my then GF's father!  Best memory of Paris was haring around the Périphérique on a Triumph Sprint 900 as we were running late for a ferry booking at Calais...
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 02:00:46 PM »
I just reminded my 12...I mean, now 13 year old daughter that she was born 46 years to the day that The Beatles arrived in the US! Feb 7th is a good day.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()