Author Topic: Rear axle spacer  (Read 681 times)

LittleTreez

• View Profile
Rear axle spacer
« on: February 14, 2023, 11:22:24 AM »
Hi, thank you for accepting my request to join. I'm hoping someone can help.
My husband had to remove the rear wheel on my Kymco Super 8 125 but when he has come to put it back on, he has made a schoolboy error by not taking note of which way round the spacer in the photo goes onto the axle :-\ . If he fits it with the smaller diameter part of the spacer facing the scooter, it fits recessed within the seal in the swingarm. However, if he fits it the other way round with the larger diameter part of the spacer facing the scooter, it presses against the seal in the swingarm, which way round is correct? Also, can someone please give us a definitive answer as to what ft/lb the rear nut should be torqued to. Thanks.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Rear axle spacer
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 02:10:57 PM »
I believe your lower picture is incorrect, the spacer is facing the wrong way. The small end of the spacer should go in the swingarm bearing. I think it you tried putting it on backwards you wouldn't have enough threads on the shaft to fully seat your axel nut.

Others will chime in soon for confirmation...or to correct me
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 04:18:44 PM »
I was thinking the same thing but didn't reply right away since I am not familiar with the Super 8. But based on other bikes I've done I am thinking the small end of the spacer goes toward the wheel. I think this because it doesn't make sense that the washer that goes between the spacer and the nut would be bigger than the part of the spacer it seats against. Also, and this is even more important, in your first picture you can see the orange seal around the bearing race. The spacer needs to seat against that seal and race to hold in the bearing and seal. It cannot do that if it doesn't fit into the recess there. I am also looking at the wear markings on the spacer and the small end shows that it normally sits INTO the recess and is not exposed.

I may be totally off base here but those are my thoughts.

I just looked up online for "Kymco Super 8 125 scooter rear axle nut torque" and found several results directly to the service manual pages for this information. At bike-parts-Kymco-UK service manual this page shows what you need to know for remove and install of the rear wheel including pictures:
https://www.bike-parts-kymco.uk/catalog/Workshop-manual/super-8-125-Workshop-manual/page145

This page shows the torque value for the rear axle nut to be between 11-13 kg-m. That translates to between 79.56 ft lb and 94 ft lb. 86.8 ft lb is right in the middle of that range. I used Google to search for kg-m to ft lbs to get a calculator for the conversion. Google has such calculators for almost anything it seems.

BTW- I tabbed over to page 143 of that service manual and though the parts breakout picture is very blurry it almost looks like that spacer is shown with the small end OUT... away from the wheel... but it's very hard to tell.
Does the washer that fits between the spacer and the nut slip over the small end of the spacer?
If it does, is the end of the spacer and the outer surface of the washer flush?
In your photo it doesn't look like it would be. I still hold to what I said at the first above.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 04:32:43 PM by rjs987 »
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

LittleTreez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 04:48:29 PM »
Thank you both for your replies, really appreciate your time.
What confused things for us is that we found a youtube post for the fitting of a rear wheel on a Kymco Agility 125 and the guy actually makes a point of displaying a photo showing the order of nut/washer/spacer but shows the spacer with the small end facing out. We also found a schematic diagram which possibly shows it facing the small end out (difficult to tell though). However, that bike must be different as the washer definitely can't be placed on the small end of the spacer and as you say, it wouldn't seem right due to the size of washer. There would be enough thread left to fit it with the large end first but I also think you are correct in pointing out the wear markings.
Thanks for the info re torque value as we were reading so many varying opinions! 

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2023, 05:37:58 PM »
Thank you both for your replies, really appreciate your time.
What confused things for us is that we found a youtube post for the fitting of a rear wheel on a Kymco Agility 125 and the guy actually makes a point of displaying a photo showing the order of nut/washer/spacer but shows the spacer with the small end facing out. We also found a schematic diagram which possibly shows it facing the small end out (difficult to tell though). However, that bike must be different as the washer definitely can't be placed on the small end of the spacer and as you say, it wouldn't seem right due to the size of washer. There would be enough thread left to fit it with the large end first but I also think you are correct in pointing out the wear markings.
Thanks for the info re torque value as we were reading so many varying opinions!

Also consider the wear markings on the washer. That might give a clue about what side of the washer is against the axle nut and what side is against the spacer as well as what direction the spacer was at the first. All told, wear markings, and what parts are clean due to being protected from exposure to the elements and dirt and grime can all be used to determine placement.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 07:29:55 PM »
yep, if the part is dirty, it's exposed to the elements, if it's clean and shiny, it's protected. That's why my thought was the small end of spacer goes in where it's protected.

I pulled a pic of my S200, which I thought would be more similar to yours, but it's not..my order of install is spacer, swingarm, washer, axle nut.

the torque specs for my axle nut is the same as what RJS said. I need to put a small piece of 2x4 wood between my spokes and the cvt case to keep my wheel from spinning when I torque it.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

LittleTreez

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 08:33:36 PM »
Thanks so much for all your help guys. Looking at the parts again as you suggest makes us pretty confident that the spacer fits as you say. Thanks for the pic of your set up Iahawk. Mine has the spacer that is shown on the left in your pic, then wheel / spacer as discussed / washer / axle nut. My husband has now put it back together and it certainly looks correct. Our max speed limit on the island of Guernsey is only 35mph but good to know it’s also how torqued correctly, thanks 😀

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 10:23:52 PM »
Pls see pic,
 this spacer distances on your bearings INNER ring and slips into this oilseal.
Washer belongs outside between swingarm and nut to reduce stress of torque on alu parts.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2023, 02:27:45 AM »
OK, just so I'm clear on this...the setup is similar to my S200 pic with the spacer going on the axle first, then swingarm goes on, then washer and finally axle nut?
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2023, 12:46:59 PM »
hawk yes, wheel on the axle, spacer, swingarm, washer and nut.

LittleTreez

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2023, 01:11:52 PM »
Thanks so much Ruffus, looks like I will be dismantling again tonight ;)

With the wheel off, I have a long spacer/collar identical to the one on the left of Iahawk's photo. Does that spacer/collar press up against the small spacer that I now need to fit on the INNER side of the  swingarm?
Looking again at the link of the manual that RJS987 put in his reply, it  shows the small spacer as being on the outside of the swingarm. However, maybe this is simply to illustrate the parts, not the precise location or way round that they need to be fitted?

In the manual, the text referring to the removal of the rear wheel doesn't mention the small spacer but maybe this is because it usually comes off with the swingarm, whereas mine has come out?

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2023, 08:46:48 PM »
Like we said, axle, wheel on it, cylindrical spacer on the axle, konical spacer looks RH  (seen from scoots rear) into swingarms oilseal and usually stucks there.
To make it bulletproof, assamble without tigthening this 24mm nut, setup brake caliper and see whether brake disc moves freely within, then tighten the big nut and calipers 8mm bolts.

Pls see pic.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 08:51:13 PM by Ruffus »

LittleTreez

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2023, 09:34:45 PM »
Thanks Ruffus

My husband has just come in from the garage having fitted everything in the order you’ve said and taken the scooter for a ride round the block. All is good 😀

He will definitely take better notice when dismantling any parts in future!

Thanks so much for your help.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2023, 12:15:04 PM »
LittleTreez, my pleasure. Anyone in this forum is happy to help, that's the beauty here.
Documentation by taking pics is a further plus in restorations. Join in sometimes again.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2023, 02:14:37 PM »
Anyone in this forum is happy to help, that's the beauty here.

It is Ruffus, but few of us on here have your depth of knowledge, so I'm sure I speak for others when I say thanks for sharing it so willingly.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()