Author Topic: Owning a scooter and motorcycle  (Read 2080 times)

stuo

• View Profile
Re: Owning a scooter and motorcycle
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2023, 07:58:48 PM »
My reason hasn't been mentioned: I have two identical 2009 Grandvista 250's because I want to have one for spare parts if something breaks and I can't find the part anywhere else. And even if I could order the part at least I have one to ride in the meantime.

The GV is the perfect bike for me. The electric folding mirrors allow me to lane share with confidence, the flat floor allows my feet and legs to not stick out as they do on a motorcycle. In my neck of the woods traffic is a major problem and because lane sharing, or white lining, is legal in California it's an important part of my riding technique.   
2009 GV 250

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2023, 09:59:04 PM »
I took a nice ride in Ohio one time, from Marietta up to Woodsfield, on Rt 26, early one Sunday morning, no traffic, fog just burning off.  Then my riding mate crashed his cbr600, I was on my SV650,  they took him to hospital in Wheeling, his harm got broken pretty bad, I saw it my rear view, he didn't slide like has bike, that was rideable afterward. he tumbled or rolled, don't know which is better to describe. I'm not sure what caused him to go down, I was in lead, he was following a hundred yards behind.

luckily, first car to come by, within moments, was a guy on local EMT, ambulance was there within a couple minutes, initially, he was freeking out wanted his helmet off, but I waited, let the ambulance guys take care of that.
My tires were down to threads, I holed up in Wheeling a couple days waiting for tires
RandyO
IBA#9560

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2023, 02:57:09 AM »
My first ride in SE Ohio was an HSTA rally in Marietta in 99 or 2000.  I was riding a new 99 SV650.  I remember riding 555 with a group.  We came to a stop somewhere waiting for everyone.  We were missing one.  We waited a few minutes and the guy showed up on his VFR.  He blew a curve and rode into a farm field.  He almost saved it but tipped over at low speed.  He got it up and back on the road.  His bike just had a few scratches and some dirt on it.  Those SE Ohio roads can be tricky.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2023, 05:01:43 AM »
My first ride in SE Ohio was an HSTA rally in Marietta in 99 or 2000.  I was riding a new 99 SV650.  I remember riding 555 with a group.  We came to a stop somewhere waiting for everyone.  We were missing one.  We waited a few minutes and the guy showed up on his VFR.  He blew a curve and rode into a farm field.  He almost saved it but tipped over at low speed.  He got it up and back on the road.  His bike just had a few scratches and some dirt on it.  Those SE Ohio roads can be tricky.

my trip on my new 99sv650  was in 2000, returning from my first trip south to Deal's Gap, I had brand new tires a week earlier, they didn't last long, 8 days to fabric
RandyO
IBA#9560

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2023, 10:06:25 AM »
my trip on my new 99sv650  was in 2000, returning from my first trip south to Deal's Gap, I had brand new tires a week earlier, they didn't last long, 8 days to fabric

The OEM tires on my SV held up pretty well.  I think the rear went 3,200 miles.  I was on a trip to Deal's Gap and Suches when I saw that the rear tire wouldn't make it.  Luckily Blue Ridge Yamaha had a rear tire in stock in the correct size and on sale.  It was only 99$ for a Dunlop Sportmax so I had it mounted.  Three days and 750 miles later it was toast.  It still had tread left in the center but I wore the edges off.

Those were the days 8)
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

aschrauth

• Have patience, Don't be in such a Hurry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2023, 12:34:46 AM »
never owned a motorcycle but have and still own a scooter, Motorcycles that go fast really frighten me. I prefer a scooter that caps out at around 50mph.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2023, 01:40:03 AM »
never owned a motorcycle but have and still own a scooter, Motorcycles that go fast really frighten me. I prefer a scooter that caps out at around 50mph.

A scooter that only went 50 MPH would frighten me.  Around here you'd end up as a hood ornament. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2023, 02:16:33 AM »
I agree. Scooters have been taken well beyond their original purpose as urban transportation in postwar Italy.
10" and 12" wheels, often powered by as little as 12hp, sharing highways with Buicks! Really?
50mph scooters are perfect for cities....and certain rural routes if found appropriate.
"MaxiScooter"
Is it any wonder some motorcyclists are amused by our hobby?....Maxie-Scoooter..🙂
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2023, 09:08:47 AM »

"MaxiScooter"
Is it any wonder some motorcyclists are amused by our hobby?....Maxie-Scoooter..🙂
Stig

And we care?…
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2023, 11:27:51 AM »
I agree. Scooters have been taken well beyond their original purpose as urban transportation in postwar Italy.
10" and 12" wheels, often powered by as little as 12hp, sharing highways with Buicks! Really?
50mph scooters are perfect for cities....and certain rural routes if found appropriate.
"MaxiScooter"
Stig

The minimum speed to safely ride an area depends on where you live.  I do a lot of riding within the Huntsville/Madison city limits.  No way would I buy a 50 MPH scooter.  55 MPH might be OK but I prefer 60.  There are places where 50 MPH would be plenty.  When my parents lived in the Cleveland, OH area I took my scooter up there a few times.  Most speed limits were 40 MPH or less.  I was getting 100 MPG on my Like because of the low speeds.

I have never owned a scooter that couldn't get up to at least 55-60 MPH and felt comfortable at that speed.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2023, 01:33:27 PM »

(as someone posted recently, your scooter makes you really appreciate your motorcycle...and your motorcycle makes you appreciate your scooter!)

I might have been that "someone".  If not, I'm certainly in that camp.

The shifting required on the Rebel is a blast, but also creates appreciation for a scooter's shift free riding, especially in traffic.

The big wheels and relatively heavier weight of the Rebel and BV 350 feel comfortable and stable compared to the Cali, especially over bumps and rough sections, but makes me appreciate the nimbleness of the smaller wheels and lighter weight of the Cali.

Like the laid back cruiser ergonomics of the Rebel and Cali, while the more upright position on the BV is a nice change of pace.

And though the relatively low speed and power of the former two suit most rides, they make the BV feel like a rocket ship, which is fun.

All in all, each of the three bikes makes me appreciate the others more (than if I just had one, or even two).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 01:37:35 PM by monkeybongos »
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2023, 04:56:29 AM »
scooter than a motorcycle for me. I am abosutly terrified of motorcycles, I dont know why. I think it was because when I would ride with my father when he bought one when he was going through a midlife crisis and was constantly riding unsafe as well as always speeding.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2023, 10:48:01 AM »
scooter than a motorcycle for me. I am abosutly terrified of motorcycles, I dont know why. I think it was because when I would ride with my father when he bought one when he was going through a midlife crisis and was constantly riding unsafe as well as always speeding.

Interesting that.  The main reason I got into biking in the first place was being taken out on the back of my big brother's BSA C15 aged about 5 or 6 - me, not my brother.  I just loved the experience and from then on was fixated on 'bikes.  (Yes, the C15 mentioned in my bio was his bike, but about 10 years later when I pulled it out of his shed for a bit of a restoration.)
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2023, 01:41:10 AM »
A scooter that only went 50 MPH would frighten me.  Around here you'd end up as a hood ornament.
Believe me, People where I live NEVER follow the speed limit. Highway 231 where I am is a missouri state highway and the max speed limit is 40 mph. 45 MPH max. I have had people barrel past me going over 70mph!. Problem is the police around here do nothing to enforce the speed limit but instead would wrather sit in parking lots, most of the action and officer activity is in the city.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2023, 04:14:05 AM »
Believe me, People where I live NEVER follow the speed limit. Highway 231 where I am is a missouri state highway and the max speed limit is 40 mph. 45 MPH max. I have had people barrel past me going over 70mph!. Problem is the police around here do nothing to enforce the speed limit but instead would wrather sit in parking lots, most of the action and officer activity is in the city.

The drivers around here don't usually go that much over the speed limit.  The thing is that when I leave my subdivision the speed limit is 45.  The next road I get on, depending on which direction I go, is either 50 or 55 MPH.  Many drivers will go about 5 over.  That's' why I prefer something that will do 60.  This is all within city limits.  Speed limits on rural highway can be as high as 65 while interstates are 70.   
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()