Author Topic: Your favourite scootering (or biking) memory?  (Read 530 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Your favourite scootering (or biking) memory?
« on: February 23, 2023, 11:45:07 AM »
With all due acknowledgement to @visordown (a UK publication), I thought I'd pose a recent question of theirs here. 

"Whether it was the first time out on the road solo, when you finally bought your dream bike, or even just a great trip with a pal - what has been your favourite memory on two wheels?" 😁
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: Your favourite scootering (or biking) memory?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 12:53:12 PM »
I have so many fantastic memories made while riding that it is impossible for me to pick just one.  Even the top ten would be hard to come up with.  For the last four years the highlight of my riding year has been the Maggie Valley "Beat the Heat" scooter rally.  That event is nearly a week long and set in one of the most beautiful parts of the country.  The roads are fantastic and far beyond what most riders will ever experience.  Add to that being able to spend a week with some really great fellow riders and it's experience that is hard to top.  Here's my ride report of last year's event: https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/full-throttle-touring-150-through-the-rocket-city.647784/page-339#post-45503507

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 02:33:05 PM »
I'm with Klav on this one.  How to pick just one memory out of 40+ years of riding?  It's impossible.  The first time I ever got my knee down at Cadwell Park race circuit on my Triumph T595 was great as was the ride there and back.

Memories of touring down to Portugal through the Picos Mountains will be with me to my dying day as will rides in the Smoky Mountains, the Colorado Rockies and the Blue Ridge Parkway whilst on holiday in the States - that latter on a Honda CBR600 which was FUN!  Actually, there's a theme here I've only just spotted.  Mountains!  Love the twisty roads you get in the mountains as well as the scenery.  So, add to that list the Scottish Highlands, North Wales and the Alps!  Been to all and loved them all.

Been scootering for only the last 8 years and my favourite memory (so far) from that genre was last year's ride up to East Yorkshire, again through the mountains of the British Pennines - the Peak District.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 02:35:07 PM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 06:50:11 PM »
Another memory that will always stay with me was my time living in Southern California.  In April of 1986 I moved to San Diego and I owned my dream bike, a Yamaha FJ1100.  At that time I had 6 years of riding experience but that was almost all in Northern Ohio and Florida.  Compared to those places SoCal was motorcycle heaven.  Fantastic roads, fantastic weather and great people to ride with.  I had no idea riding could be so much fun.  Out in the mountains there was little traffic and very few cops.  We rarely went riding without hitting triple digit speeds.  That was a long time ago and I was only there for about 3 1/2 years but I'll never forget it.

I was around 30 in this pic.  I'm a "little"  older now ;)

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 07:04:50 PM »
Spending considerable thought on this came up with the maiden voyage after several local "shake down" rides to Fort Huachuca, AZ to meet my folks on their Harleys. This was about '74, '75 and they were there for the annual Motor Maids convention of the AMA. My ride was from San Diego on my recently restored 1955 BSA A-10 650 cc twin. Took me four years to restore that bike from a pile of junk three bikes high. Picked the best pieces of the three and repaired/rebuilt/duplicated enough to have one good and sound machine. Was very satisfying to cruise at relatively low rpm with adequate torque to climb most grades without shifting. Never missed a lick going or coming. Boring ride on I-10 from El Cento on east....great reunion with the folks...nostalgic for them as they used to ride BSA's earlier.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 07:08:17 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 08:41:12 PM »
Wife and I as newlywed teens exploring Massachusetts' back roads on our new Honda 90.
Spring & early summer of 1968....blissfully ignoring the draft & Vietnam--- which is coming within a few months.
I wore Levi chords, she wore white short-shorts, to match our white Honda.
$240 out the door.

Wife stuck vinyl hippie flowers on the bike and on our white Bell helmets.
Halcyon days....
Stig

« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 09:47:05 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

NorWeWa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2023, 09:16:19 PM »
Been a 2-wheel addict since 1960's. Have mixed the riding with, unlicensed off road, enduro events, trials competition, and finally bought a licensed machine in 1972. Got into touring and BMW's in late 80's. Got my first scooter in 2018. Now only have the two scooters. The Kymco Downtown 300 and the new Honda PCX.
Have to say get those "good time feelings"  with a good day on the scooter. 

Art 

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2023, 01:34:49 AM »
love the stories and the pictures from you guys...as a relatively new rider in middle age I don't have any old time memories...unless riding on the back of my girlfriend's moped at age 15 on a hot summer day, hanging onto her tightly and remembering the feel and the faint smell of sexy girl sweat and perfume...and...and...what was I saying?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2023, 08:08:29 AM »
Another memory that will always stay with me was my time living in Southern California.  In April of 1986 I moved to San Diego and I owned my dream bike, a Yamaha FJ1100.  At that time I had 6 years of riding experience but that was almost all in Northern Ohio and Florida.  Compared to those places SoCal was motorcycle heaven.  Fantastic roads, fantastic weather and great people to ride with.  I had no idea riding could be so much fun.  Out in the mountains there was little traffic and very few cops.  We rarely went riding without hitting triple digit speeds.  That was a long time ago and I was only there for about 3 1/2 years but I'll never forget it.

I was around 30 in this pic.  I'm a "little"  older now ;)

Had the self same Arai Klav, Freddie Spencer rep? Also 2 x FJs they were such a good bike!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2023, 08:11:07 AM »
Wife and I as newlywed teens exploring Massachusetts' back roads on our new Honda 90.
Spring & early summer of 1968....blissfully ignoring the draft & Vietnam--- which is coming within a few months.
I wore Levi chords, she wore white short-shorts, to match our white Honda.
$240 out the door.

Wife stuck vinyl hippie flowers on the bike and on our white Bell helmets.
Halcyon days....
Stig

You’re just an old Hippie really aren’t you Stig? 😂
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2023, 08:12:34 AM »
love the stories and the pictures from you guys...as a relatively new rider in middle age I don't have any old time memories...unless riding on the back of my girlfriend's moped at age 15 on a hot summer day, hanging onto her tightly and remembering the feel and the faint smell of sexy girl sweat and perfume...and...and...what was I saying?

Yes Hawk, that certainly counts as a fav biking memory!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2023, 01:12:07 PM »
Yes Hawk, that certainly counts as a fav biking memory!
Talk about getting distracted!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()