Author Topic: Curious here: ever have a 'single vehicle' off while riding?  (Read 1089 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Curious here: ever have a 'single vehicle' off while riding?
« on: February 27, 2023, 01:57:54 PM »
"single vehicle" = just you, on two wheels - not touched by another vehicle.
I ask because we just had a day of warm weather - and then it was reported that two HD riders 'left the roadway' in separate single vehicle accidents.

Riders do not like to admit to "rider error", but I think it happens, often.

My example: I had one 'off' in 1968 when a senior turned left in my path. I over-braked and low-sided my Honda motorcycle. Nothing since.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Curious here: ever have a 'single vehicle' off while riding?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 02:03:09 PM »
Just the one Stig, which I've reported on here before when I hit a patch of diesel on a bend whilst cranked over and doing around 60 mph.  Ouch, multiple bruising to both me and my ego.  Walked away owing to ATGATT.  Take note all you shorts & flip flop riders.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 03:18:14 PM »
I've had a few.  My first was hitting a rock in the road and the bike went into a tankslapper.  Another was braking for a light in the rain and I stayed in the center of the lane.  When I got near the intersection and hit that oil that often builds up there I went down at low speed.

Let's see, I hit a deer at about 65 MPH.

I leaned my Super 8 too far and levered the tires off the ground and slid into a ditch.

I have gone down a bunch of times in the dirt but those don't really count.

So far I have walked away from every accident I have had.

Except for the deer they were rider error on my part. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 03:20:48 PM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 03:57:24 PM »
I've had a few.  My first was hitting a rock in the road and the bike went into a tankslapper.  Another was braking for a light in the rain and I stayed in the center of the lane.  When I got near the intersection and hit that oil that often builds up there I went down at low speed.

Let's see, I hit a deer at about 65 MPH.

I leaned my Super 8 too far and levered the tires off the ground and slid into a ditch.

I have gone down a bunch of times in the dirt but those don't really count.

So far I have walked away from every accident I have had.

Except for the deer they were rider error on my part.

Very honest of you Klav!  Then with the number of miles you do each year statistically alone you have to expect the odd whoopsie.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2023, 04:26:02 PM »
couple lowsides for me, but nothing I couldn't ride away from

my first, I was in Roanoke VA, going east on a controlled access toward the BRP entrance, waaay over speed limit, I passed a 1ton truck and suddenly I see the entrance, the pavement surface had more asphalt than aggregate, a big wide tar snake, I was drifting at a good lean, when the granite curbing caught my eye, and I said to myself that curb is gonna turn this lowside into a highside, I stood it up and hit the wet grass median, and immediatly sliding on my side, I had a huge U-bag strapped to the back, I slid over 150ft, grass stains on my stitch and a little road rash on my front turn signal, headlight out of aim. The incident was more like a carnival ride than a crash

my other lowside, closer to home, I just leaned too far taking a left turn from a light, rainy and plenty of oil in the road. I broke my shifter on that one
RandyO
IBA#9560

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 11:00:15 PM »
Two slow, low sides in the first two years of riding, 1960 and '62. One low side in 2009 on the Yager. Got slow in a U turn and fell inside.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2023, 08:13:07 AM »
Didn’t list the walking pace get offs Karl.  I’ve had one or two embarrassing drops down the years, the most excruciating being on the Isle of Man outside Laxey Wheel during TT week.  Triumph Sprint and I set off with the disc lock still in place  😳   About 200 witnesses…
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 07:34:31 PM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2023, 02:10:32 PM »
All my offs have been single person offs.

My personal favourite was crashing my C90 (passport 90) into a flower bed in front of B&Q

Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2023, 08:09:06 PM »
Very honest of you Klav!  Then with the number of miles you do each year statistically alone you have to expect the odd whoopsie.

Oops, I forgot one from a couple of years ago.  I was riding my Versys 650 down one of the steepest roads in Georgia.  I wanted stop and get a pic of my friend coming down the mountain.  I pulled off on a gravel area next to the road.  It was steep and uneven.  When I tried to stop my tires just slid.  I managed to get the bike stopped and then for some reason I leaned to the right and when I put my right foot down I found nothing but air and I just toppled over.  I put a few scratches on my bike but the only injury I got was a blow to my ego.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 08:54:29 AM »
Thought this might fit well with this thread?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2023, 08:18:53 PM »
Thought this might fit well with this thread?

....'time he gets done sliding in all that leather - he'll smell like a grilled steak!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

wymple

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2023, 05:37:19 PM »
I pulled off the 4 lane at a pretty low speed to get out my cell & make a call. I didn't realize soon enough that the shoulder was freshly graveled and deep. The front wheel sank in far enough it wouldn't roll and down I went. Very embarrassing.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2023, 09:44:48 AM »
I guess a soft landing though eh?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2023, 04:09:01 PM »
I pulled off the 4 lane at a pretty low speed to get out my cell & make a call. I didn't realize soon enough that the shoulder was freshly graveled and deep. The front wheel sank in far enough it wouldn't roll and down I went. Very embarrassing.

I remember someone telling me a story similar to this.  He pulled off the road onto the soft shoulder and his bike just sank into it.  He didn't fall but he was stuck and couldn't get out.  A cowboy came along and pulled him out with his horse!
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2023, 10:36:23 AM »
A cowboy came along and pulled him out with his horse!

Which goes to show there are times when 1 HP is enough!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()