Author Topic: Deresricting ZX 50  (Read 1178 times)

docjones

• View Profile
Deresricting ZX 50
« on: December 03, 2010, 07:44:37 PM »
I havn't even purchased this thing yet but I already want to make it go faster. My first plan was to replace the CDI with one with no restriction but I just read about modifying the stock one. It had to do with cutting and splicing the light green wire and dark green wire. Anybody try this and did it work? This article also talked about restriction on the CVT. I had read about that before but forgot about it. Variator spacers, removing old ones and replacing them with different ones. How can I tell if the variator is restricted or not? This is the box stock 06 ZX 50 in mint condition with 700 miles on it that I asked about yesterday. When I test drive/purchase it tomarrow what should I look for or listen for when it gets to top end? Will it start sputtering and just not go any faster or what? Thanks guys in advance, I'm looking forward to having some fun on this one, not that my A125 isn't fun.
09 Agility 125

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: Deresricting ZX 50
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 08:56:29 PM »
I've been running my heavily modified ZX50 for over 2 years now with the stock (derestricted) CDI.  You are correct, you just splice the two green wires together.  I actually just clipped a splice connector on there.  If it hasn't already been done the scoot will top out between 40 - 45 mph, but it will feel like it wants to go faster.  If I pull the splice off of mine it feels like it surges a little at top end.  It will feel like it's accelerating, the kinda slow down and repeat.  As for the CVT restriction, I'm not certain as mine was already done when I got it if it came with it, but there will be a washer/spacer between the two halves of the variator restricting the halves from coming all the way together.  You should be able to just remove the washer and be good to go.  The hardest part is getting the variator nut off!  The easiest way is with an impact wrench.  Good luck with the new scoot!  I'm sure you will love it!

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
Re: Deresricting ZX 50
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 06:24:45 PM »
the man with the plan has set you on a good course.............WELCOME TO THE FORUM DOC ;)... ALOT OF USEFULL INFO AROUND HERE..... what up shaka? you are alive.... :D
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()