Author Topic: Variator Roller Weight  (Read 1028 times)

gjx

• View Profile
Variator Roller Weight
« on: March 29, 2023, 06:45:27 PM »
Kymco Super 8 50 (year 2021)
Almost 3000 miles.
I was getting about 33-37 mph top speed on bike's speedometer which may be off 1-2 mph.  Depends on driving conditions (my state is allowed 35 mph so I'm legal).
All stock parts, but pulled purple CDI wire to increase from 26 mph to 33-37 mph.  Boss was restricted with collar on it.  No other modifications. 
Opened variator and rollers were a bit flat.  I think I put 8g new rollers but didn't measure (8g is based on product advertisement). 
I did put a new unrestricted boss as old boss had some wear on it. 
Now the acceleration is a bit bogged and slow to pickup speed.  It has a hard time getting to 30-33 mph and not really higher. 
What roller weight should I use?  Previous was stock and I don't know their weight, but performance was good.
Any input?
Thanks!   

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Variator Roller Weight
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 10:25:35 AM »
You could put old boss and old rollers back in.....see what happens.
Do separately....then both.
Weight question?.....put old rollers in an envelope, take to post office and weigh.
I did. They have pretty accurate scales.🙂
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TXSUPER8

• View Profile
Re: Variator Roller Weight
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2024, 09:33:35 PM »
just going to throw this out there . i have no idea what your current variator sliders are weight wise BUT scootertronics ... suggest staying at 8grams and above .  get a digital scale off amazon or hit harbor freight they also have cheap scales ..

" Kymco AC 47mm 70cc Big Bore Kit Air Cooled Two Stroke Engines

Affordable big bore for the horizontal Kymco engines used in Super 9 and Super 8 two stroke 50cc Kymco scooters.

Along with a carb upgrade of at the very least an upgrade to stroke carb with main jet and performance air filter the torque and top end speed wakes right up to keep up with traffic.

Do not forget to service your CVT with new kevlar belt and Dr Pulley Sliders at 8gram do not go below 8gram, Kymco scooters do not act right with anything below 8grams on weights.

NOT for Vertcal made engines only horizontal used in these models

Kymco Agility 50
Kymco Grand Dink 50
Kymco Like 50
Kymco Mongoose 50
Kymco People 50
Kymco Super 8 50
Kymco Super 9 50
Includes cylinder head, cylinder, piston, 12mm pin, rings, circlips, head gasket, base gasket and exhaust gasket." http://www.scootertronics.com/kymco-cylinder-kit-70cc.html

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()