Author Topic: do you clean your engine? How?  (Read 488 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
do you clean your engine? How?
« on: March 31, 2023, 12:08:26 AM »
found a few youtubes on cleaning under the seat-tub - cleaning the engine compartment.
Vespa portland uses simple green - let it soak - then a brush - then he blasted the Vespa with a garden hose!
(of course, in another how-to  - a responder said using water will ruin the engine)

another youtuber used soap, degreaser, and blasted it with brake cleaner on his Kymco.(People GTi 300) Then wiped it down with a shop rag.

A Pilipino shop used; Engine degreaser
Engine shampoo
Detailing brush
Wet rinse (gentle stream)
 Dry blower
Bolts and screws sprayed with anti rust lubricant

I don't like using a garden hose - but I do use a pump hand held garden sprayer....gentler spray.
Orange or Green degrease , work it with a soft paint brush - rinse and wipe dry. Lube moving parts.

What have you found which worked well for you?

I tend to think the Filipino scooter guys know what they're doing!
Stig
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 12:11:53 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: do you clean your engine? How?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 12:34:23 PM »
what is this 'dirty engine' that you speak of?   ;D
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2023, 02:03:24 PM »
what is this 'dirty engine' that you speak of?   ;D
C'mon stop it! It gets dusty!

I figured if anyone would have suggestions - it would be old Hawk!
You pics of spotless scooters are legend!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 04:52:03 PM »
Ok, ok!  I like your method of a pump up sprayer to minimize water intrusion. A gentle spray from a garden hose is ok but I would never use a pressure washer / jet spray on the motor (although I know many do with fine results).

I've used some degreaser on my motors (Griot's Garage, Super Clean, Gunk)  when the bodywork or rear wheel is completely off to get a good, clean baseline (mainly on the inside of the swingarm and back and under side of motor, the greasy places). Some degreaser and agitate with a brush, rinse and wipe dry.

My go to maintenance procedure is to use a microfiber cloth and the Pro Honda Spray Cleaner. It's a do it all product that I use on my wheels, too. I usually just spray some on the microfiber and wipe off the accumulated dust and dirt. Leaves a nice shine behind. I feel it's a little more effective on the dirt/grease than the normal 'detail spray' I use for the bodywork.

I have found that once an engine is clean (assuming no oil leaks) it is very easy to maintain it in the clean condition, basically forever. This applies to cars, motorcycles and scoots.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 04:53:50 PM by Iahawk »
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2023, 06:41:03 PM »
Ok, ok!  I like your method of a pump up sprayer to minimize water intrusion. A gentle spray from a garden hose is ok but I would never use a pressure washer / jet spray on the motor (although I know many do with fine results).

I've used some degreaser on my motors (Griot's Garage, Super Clean, Gunk)  when the bodywork or rear wheel is completely off to get a good, clean baseline (mainly on the inside of the swingarm and back and under side of motor, the greasy places). Some degreaser and agitate with a brush, rinse and wipe dry.

My go to maintenance procedure is to use a microfiber cloth and the Pro Honda Spray Cleaner. It's a do it all product that I use on my wheels, too. I usually just spray some on the microfiber and wipe off the accumulated dust and dirt. Leaves a nice shine behind. I feel it's a little more effective on the dirt/grease than the normal 'detail spray' I use for the bodywork.

I have found that once an engine is clean (assuming no oil leaks) it is very easy to maintain it in the clean condition, basically forever. This applies to cars, motorcycles and scoots.
Yeah, thanks.
I've been using the Pro Honda Spray  Cleaner  since my Honda Forza days. Don't know how I ended up with 2 full cans of it though!
Good stuff.
For body panel waxing ..I've got a few 100 little packets of Wax Shop carnauba . No longer sold.  Found a box of them ebay🙂
Used to use it on my VW's. Easy on snd off. That Vanagon GL was like waxing a 3 bedroom house 🙃
Thanks again Hawkman!
Dtig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Quick-Star24

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2023, 02:05:30 PM »
found a few youtubes on cleaning under the seat-tub - cleaning the engine compartment.
Vespa portland uses simple green - let it soak - then a brush - then he blasted the Vespa with a garden hose!
(of course, in another how-to  - a responder said using water will ruin the engine)

another youtuber used soap, degreaser, and blasted it with brake cleaner on his Kymco.(People GTi 300) Then wiped it down with a shop rag.

A Pilipino shop used; Engine degreaser
Engine shampoo
Detailing brush
Wet rinse (gentle stream)
 Dry blower
Bolts and screws sprayed with anti rust lubricant

I don't like using a garden hose - but I do use a pump hand held garden sprayer....gentler spray.
Orange or Green degrease , work it with a soft paint brush - rinse and wipe dry. Lube moving parts.

What have you found which worked well for you?

I tend to think the Filipino scooter guys know what they're doing!
Stig

I've had my Kymco AK 550 a year now almost and have pressure washed maybe once a month followed quickly by using the most powerful leaf blower I could find.....so I have it all dried up in like two minutes and even those places where you could never get your hands or fingers to dry it.

Water is water....no matter from a heavy rainstorm or a pressure washer.....to me....pressure washers have different tips and of course I don't use the top two or three most powerful spray tips. I spray on the thick Cleaning Foam first, let it sit for 30 seconds or more and then wash it all off, then immediately grab the powerful leaf blower.

Jeff

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()