Author Topic: Am I old enough for a tricycle?  (Read 1127 times)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Am I old enough for a tricycle?
« on: April 04, 2023, 02:19:42 AM »
I don't remember the last time I rode a tricycle.  I don't know if I even had one as a kid.  I think I started on a bike with training wheels.

Now I am getting old.  I see a lot of riders going to trikes, Spyders and slingshots.  They just don't appeal to me.  If it doesn't lean in the curves I am not interested.  But then I have never tried any of these three wheelers.  Is it fair to judge something I have never tried.

Last weekend the local Can Am dealers was doing Spyder demo rides so I decided to take advantage of it.  This was the demo "fleet".

They had three different models, the RT, F3 and Ryker.  the Ryker is their entry level, less expensive model.  The F3 and RT are their "cruiser" and Touring models.  They share the same engine and tranny and I think the same basic chassis.

The Demo ride started with about a 30 minute brief to explain how these things worked.  The throttle is the same as a scooter or motorcycle but everything else is different.  A brake pedal controls all three brakes.  There is a paddle shifter on the left handlebar.  There is a button for the parking brake.

I would be riding an F3.

Despite being a "cruiser' model, it had side bags, a tail trunk and front trunk.  These were all smaller than the ones on the RT but still pretty big.

After the brief we did a few laps around the parking lot just to get used to how these things worked.  It felt fine in the parking lot and was easy to ride and control.  Then it was time to get out on the road.  We followed the ride leader on a ride that was somewhere between 5 and 10 miles long.  It was mostly straight roads.  The first thing I noticed was that this thing wanted to wander all over the road.  It was a windy, gusty day but my on my scooter it wouldn't have been an issue.  On the spyder it just felt like it didn't want to go straight. 

The engine and tranny were fine and easy to used.  the brakes worked fine but I had to concentrate to use the pedal instead of a lever(s).

On the few curves we rode I could really feel the g forces.  A spyder would likely be a lot of work on a curvy road and not nearly as much fun as a two wheeler.

I am glad I had the chance to ride a spyder but I have zero interest in owning one.  Good thing because these things are not cheap. 

I guess it is an option for those who have a physical disability preventing them from riding a two wheeler or those afraid of two wheels.  It does give the same sensation of being out in the wind as opposed to being enclosed in a car but it does not feels remotely the same as far as handling. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Am I old enough for a tricycle?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 09:23:04 AM »
Thanks Klav, for reinforcing all the prejudices I already had about three wheelers!  For me there's all the drawbacks of a car and none of the advantages of a motorcycle.  OK if you have to, but otherwise no thanks, not for me!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 10:53:55 AM »
I will bet the steering was heavy!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 10:58:52 AM »
Yes, thanks for the ride report Kalv.

I see those guys at intersections.....they look like they are, well...probably just me projecting - but they look like they are "doing it" but not so much enjoying it!
It looks a bit of work.
If I get there - 'no more riding' - I'll be looking at a nice used Beetle or Miata cabrio....or might just cut the top off of my Chevy Silvertoroado.

My local Kymco dealer sells those....and the one which are big as a car.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2023, 12:41:39 PM »
I will bet the steering was heavy!

Actually it was pretty light.  I think they have power assisted steering.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2023, 12:59:01 PM »
nice to read a ride review on a 3 wheeler from a motorcyclist! I've always wondered how those were to ride.

The one line that I always remember from a 3 wheeler review was that 'it never met a pothole that it didn't hit'..
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2023, 04:28:37 PM »
I'd get a Piaggio MP3 sooner than I would a CanAm or Polaris and if I had a real want, I'd get a Campagna T-Rex

my local multi brand dealer that I do business with, used to be a T-Rex dealer (till the had a dispute over getting paid for warranty work), but in the time they were a dealer for Campagna, I was doing a job for the owner, he gave me a ride to the jobsite in one. Wear yer seatbelt, or you will fall out, when returning, he turned into the drive @ 60mph, they are supposedly comparable to an F1 car in cornering ability, 1.35g ?
RandyO
IBA#9560

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2023, 07:48:50 PM »
FWIW, the main advantage of 3-wheelers is that they're stable in snow and rain, mostly used by traffic cops.  They're like a snow-mobile with wheels.  Likely not important to 2-wheel enthusiasts, most of whom park their bikes in the winter.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2023, 09:27:48 AM »
FWIW, the main advantage of 3-wheelers is that they're stable in snow and rain, mostly used by traffic cops.  They're like a snow-mobile with wheels.  Likely not important to 2-wheel enthusiasts, most of whom park their bikes in the winter.

I talked to a Polaris slingshot owner a few years ago.  He said they are a lot of fun but awful in the rain.  He claimed the handling was dangerous on wet roads.  I haven't heard of that issue with the spyder.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2023, 12:54:13 PM »
For me, three wheels would work in nice package---I  had 2 Messerschmitts in the 50's, one new, one used-   compared to sidecar outfit in the winter, fine, even had heater and radio possibility---KR 200, 200cc Sachs 2 stroke, nice price, rode nice, spare tire by removing front seat you could actually sleep in it---nice when you had no money.  Somebody in England made replica with Helix power.

No interest in what is on today's market in US---rode sidecar outfits for 40 years---nice when bike makers made bikes that actually could handle the sidecar----had new Harley outfit with tin sidecar, fine, strong,   engine could not get rid of heat when ridden hard=blow up!!   enjoyed and liked MZ 2 stroke outfits and loved their price.....few mods, 300cc kit, KONI SHOCK ON SIDECAR wheel.

NorWeWa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2023, 04:24:44 PM »
To expensive for my retired budget.

Art 

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2023, 06:37:19 PM »
They have one thing in their favor here in California: It does not require a motorcycle license to ride (drive) it. The standard automobile license test in CA is a lot easier to pass then the motorcycle test. 
2009 GV 250

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2023, 11:05:03 AM »
The standard automobile license test in CA is a lot easier to pass then the motorcycle test.

Eldest son is just going through the process of gaining his full UK Motorcycle license.  A lot of metaphorical hoops to jump through!  Was a whole lot easier when I took mine back in '68.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2023, 11:49:44 PM »
I purchased a used RT a few years ago to enable my wife to ride with me. Most of the folks I met when I had the CanAm were doing 2-up riding and/or had a disability that prevented them from enjoying 2-wheeled riding. I enjoyed the increased visibility and stability, as well as the large storage compartments for transporting groceries and big box purchases. Never had an issue with traction in wet weather; maybe because speed was further reduced to enable turning. Curves on a motorcycle are fare easier to make and far more enjoyable than when on the trike. When my wife decided she no longer wanted to ride, I sold the trike and returned to scooter life. When I no longer can ride on 2-wheels, I think I will stop riding.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2023, 12:26:22 AM »
I purchased a used RT a few years ago to enable my wife to ride with me. Most of the folks I met when I had the CanAm were doing 2-up riding and/or had a disability that prevented them from enjoying 2-wheeled riding. I enjoyed the increased visibility and stability, as well as the large storage compartments for transporting groceries and big box purchases. Never had an issue with traction in wet weather; maybe because speed was further reduced to enable turning. Curves on a motorcycle are fare easier to make and far more enjoyable than when on the trike. When my wife decided she no longer wanted to ride, I sold the trike and returned to scooter life. When I no longer can ride on 2-wheels, I think I will stop riding.

that's why when I devolve to being a trike rider, I would lean toward a Piaggio MP3..... lean, get it! :o
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()