Author Topic: 2022 KYMCO AK550 cruise control  (Read 1108 times)

Dale

• Dale
  • 2022 KYMCO AK 550 scooter black
    • View Profile
2022 KYMCO AK550 cruise control
« on: May 29, 2023, 04:48:18 PM »
I have a good manual cc but an electroniuc one would be nice. Break-a-away might fit (its manual) but they say not for heated grips. Don't understand that one. The 2023 might have electronic cruise, haven't checked yet. Anyone found something I missed!
Dale

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 KYMCO AK550 cruise control
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 09:51:20 PM »
Only the AK 550 PREMIUM has the electronic cruise control and that version is not available in the USA... yet... that I know of. Of course the Premium version also comes with electric adjusting shield and a seat heater. Where it is available there is also still the "Standard" AK 550 that we have in the USA. 2 versions.

I use a Cramp Buster same as I have on my last 5 bikes. I also have the CNC Aluminum Go Cruise 2 throttle lock https://a.co/d/apzwUY2][url]https://a.co/d/apzwUY2[/url]
I used to have electronic CC on my GW but rarely ever used it. I keep to secondary roads when traveling. I have been down hwy 218 and 27/61 going through or around Keokuk for several trips... including the trip I took to pickup my AK 550 and ride it home. I almost took those roads a few weeks ago for a camping trip to N Tenn but that was cancelled due to family matters. Those are usually the only types of roads I even sometimes, for short stints, have used my GW CC or the Go Cruise 2 on any bike. Otherwise the road presents too much variation... interest... to want to use it. So far I have no interest in the extras that come with the Premium version. The Cramp Buster stays on the grip all the time but the Go Cruise 2 only gets put on just in case for longer trips. But that's me.

I was thinking there might be a model of the Break-away throttle lock that would fit on the AK but not so sure about that with the heated grips. That has something to do with the grip heaters and the wire to them. The wire to the heated grips on the AK 550 runs inside the bar from just before the handlebar control clusters on each side out to the grips. So anything like a Break-away might interfere with that setup. I just don't know enough about that item.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Dale

• Dale
  • 2022 KYMCO AK 550 scooter black
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 03:41:00 PM »
Thanks Bob. I also use the Go Cruise 2 constantly as my right wrist has very little strength. You are probably familiar with the River road between Keokuk and Montrose. Scenic ride, good highway except when you get close to Montrose. My worry is deer. You lose precious seconds dis-engaging the cruise control before hitting the brakes. Actually, your probably going to have an accident. There has to be a solution there somewhere. Probably on that road I'll just have to use a Cramp Buster which I also have. I've missed a few deer so close their tail hit my bike.
Dale

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 05:34:34 PM »
Deer can be a major bother to say the least. Been close myself.

I'm very familiar with that road. My grandfather built a house on the bluff just maybe 1.2 miles south of the Galand School house. So back in the '60s, when I lived in Keokuk, we traveled that road almost every weekend. His house was owned, last I knew, by the company that dug out the bluff just next to Galand. He built it in the '50s and I remember using his telescope to watch the YMCA camp (no longer there) directly across the river. Camp Paquotsi I think. We lived in an old 150+ year old house just NW of Triangle Park on Orleans (609 I think).
/bob

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 07:50:07 AM »
I think I had a lucky escape back in the early 90's on the deer front Bob.  I had flown into Denver CO and picked up my hire bike (Honda ST1100) for a tour.  Couldn't sleep owing to jetlag so at about 01:30 hrs, as I wanted to see Sturgis, I decided to set off for South Dakota!  It was only after clocking some triple-digit speeds that, as daylight dawned, I started spotting the carcasses of what looked like moose at the side of the road!  No more nighttime riding for me after that and muuuuch lower speeds even in daytime as hitting one of those big boys would likely be a life-ending incident for one or other of us, or both!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 09:04:32 PM »
I think I had a lucky escape back in the early 90's on the deer front Bob.  I had flown into Denver CO and picked up my hire bike (Honda ST1100) for a tour.  Couldn't sleep owing to jetlag so at about 01:30 hrs, as I wanted to see Sturgis, I decided to set off for South Dakota!  It was only after clocking some triple-digit speeds that, as daylight dawned, I started spotting the carcasses of what looked like moose at the side of the road!  No more nighttime riding for me after that and muuuuch lower speeds even in daytime as hitting one of those big boys would likely be a life-ending incident for one or other of us, or both!

Yep, moose and deer are very different... but both could easily present you with a rather permanent departure from your current state of being... that of being alive.  :o
/bob

jtwmedic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2023, 10:22:25 PM »
Hey, for what its worth I had an assorted pack of Harbor Freight rubber grommets llaying around and put a large one between the bar end and grip. Works perfectly, you just turn bar end to adjust friction.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2023, 02:12:49 PM »
Hey, for what its worth I had an assorted pack of Harbor Freight rubber grommets llaying around and put a large one between the bar end and grip. Works perfectly, you just turn bar end to adjust friction.

This type of "throttle lock" has been used on many bikes in the past. I first read about this on the ST forum several years ago. There are actually items sold (for more than a grommet) that are advertised as a throttle lock that do exactly the same. I would prefer to go with a grommet if I didn't already have my GoCruise 2.
/bob

jtwmedic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2024, 09:36:32 PM »
HI, I was just browsing older post about cruise control and thought I would give you my fix. I have a HF grommet kit and  found one the proper size to fit between the bar end and grip. I've used it for about a year now. To set it just tighten the bar end till it just holds the throttle. I leave mine set to where I have to physically roll off throttle, hope this helps.  jtw

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2024, 12:53:21 AM »
on my SV650, I had a Caterpillar o-ring parked on the bar end weight, easily rolled over to the throttle tube to lock in place

I think the are $5 for a pack of 2
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()