Author Topic: MopedGP East  (Read 3128 times)

245luigi

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
MopedGP East
« on: June 06, 2023, 06:30:15 PM »
Ran the Like at MopedGP East. Took 3rd in Limited Auto Scoots

https://imgur.com/a/ixHg4km
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
Dell'Orto PHBG 19 AS Carb
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas Triops
Malossi Torque Driver

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: MopedGP East
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 12:48:34 AM »
Ran the Like at MopedGP East. Took 3rd in Limited Auto Scoots

https://imgur.com/a/ixHg4km
Well done you!
What tires?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 09:52:28 AM »
Quite an achievement, congratulations to you.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

245luigi

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 09:10:18 PM »
Stig,

I ran Kenda Kwiks. First time racing I wanted a safe tire that didn't hurt the wallet. They were actually really great and don't expect to change. They rarely lost traction. Even was able to scrape in the leans ha

Alex
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas Triops
Malossi Torque Driver

245luigi

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 04:30:32 AM »
Took 2nd this time around. I was mixed in with unlimited scoots as well. An Agility 125 4t took 1st. Heres a video of morning practice
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas Triops
Malossi Torque Driver

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2023, 08:18:33 AM »
Looks great Luigi, you required to wear full leathers or something less?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

245luigi

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2023, 03:20:03 PM »
Looks great Luigi, you required to wear full leathers or something less?

Most people wear full leathers but you are not required to. You have to at least wear a helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots.
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas Triops
Malossi Torque Driver

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2023, 06:11:36 PM »
Most people wear full leathers but you are not required to. You have to at least wear a helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots.

Can no longer squeeze into my one piece leathers which seem to have shrunk over the years? Lol. Keep a jacket and leather jeans just in case I ever get the yen to do another track day (unlikely).
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

245luigi

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2023, 05:37:19 AM »
All my videos of this weekend

Auto scoot quali:

Auto scoot race 1:

Auto scoot race 2:

Afternoon practice:

Bonus, me riding a whacked out race vespa:
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas Triops
Malossi Torque Driver

245luigi

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2024, 05:33:19 AM »
Video's from this most recent race:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD4AfyDDotGkTiqhFgvwS2QtYsrCw0FzX&si=juL0gEsbeZb0YIJ9

I'm going down a rabbit hole. I've bought a second Malossi cyl and already raised the exhaust port 2mm. I also bought the Polini kit for the Like and its on the way. I havent heard anyone say anything about it on this forum or anywhere else, so we'll see how she does.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2024, 05:38:18 AM by 245luigi »
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas Triops
Malossi Torque Driver

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2024, 08:53:45 AM »
What happened at the end of Race 1?  You didn't sound happy.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2024, 11:34:08 AM »
I was hoping the races were timed laps...and not out there with other crazies!

Mom
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

245luigi

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2024, 07:41:10 PM »
The the races in order almost tell a story. At least it has a happy ending (to me). I tried to add info in my description to kind of tell it.

Race 1: First race so you learn alot about you and the other racers. I learned me/the bike are trash off the line. I went from P3 straight to P4 before the first turn. Then a gap grew between me and the top 3. Then realized P5 at the time (white suzuki) was faster than me in the straight. I saw my chance for a podium that weekend disappear by the end of the first lap. That kind of got to my head during the race. Just disappointed in myself and the bike. Didnt help the two classes were combined for the weekend due to attendance (Limited: 75cc 2t and 100cc 4t, 21mm carb max and Unlimited 150cc 2t and 200cc 4t). I race limited. So I kind of just gave up, let the gap grow. Finished P6.

If you are curious about the bikes, looking at the lineup order in race 1: Directly ahead Honda Elite 72cc running 24mm carb (he always laps us, absolute monster of a bike and racer, running 24mm carb so he's in Unlimited), front right 125cc Aglility 4t (Unlimited), next to me 150cc chinese 4t (number 303, hes the antagonist in the story lol, Unlimited), behind me Suzuki 72cc 2t (Limited), back right Chinese 150cc 4t (Unlimited), behind suzuki 177 chinese 4t (Unlimited).

Race 2: The suzuki went home. Because my start sucked and I thought my bike was uncompetitive, I went for the inside line in turn 1 hoping to keep the position and play some defense. Wayyyy too aggressive. There is a slippery kurb there and I dropped the bike. Yay gap immediately from the start! Well I just told myself, lets see what this little Kymco can do. Pushed hard keeping track of P3 and P4 (303)'s positions in my head. By the 2nd to last lap, I had caught up to 303 and P3! Based on Race 1, I didn't think that was possible! If I pushed hard and stuck to what I thought were the racing lines, I got myself a race!! Still it seemed he had a little more power than me so it was sooo tough to get past. My last ditch effort was a (risky) pass attempt in the chicane at 6:51.

Race 3: Prior to the race, I spoke with two of the old heads who had been racing the track for years. I told them about my crap starts, but the comeback in Race 2, my inability to pass, and my lines. They gave me lots of good advice. The gist was deal with the sh** start by setting up for turn 2 rather than trying to take turn 1 by taking an outside line to turn 1, leave some gap between me and the racer ahead so I'm not forced to brake when they do and intersect their rear wheel at the exit, take slightly different lines in select turns, and keep on the gas in the long left between the chicane and the finish line. I implemented their tips as best as I could and waddaya know I was on 303's ass the whole race!! Well this was far more fun than Race 1! Despite the power difference, I even kept up with him in the straight! You can even hear the difference in throttle and brake position in the turns the new lines gave me. I could brake later and get on the throttle earlier than 303. Icing on top was taking the outside line helped me avoid the crash on the inside line of Turn 1 on the first lap. I could never get the pass but it didn't matter because I felt competitive. In the end 303 left the track early because the checkered flag was meant for the guy who lapped us, not everyone else. I had been keeping lap count and kept going. This caused me to get P2 (from P5 at the start!) and P3 for the whole weekend.

So I learned that with better technique, I could squeeze more out of my race even if I was placed with essentially all Unlimited riders. And it has given me the motivation to try and modify the bike beyond all the off the shelf options that are available (best stuff is all rated for sport not race for the Like). And yes I know this bike is totally not the best config for a racer but I'll take on the challenge.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2024, 02:42:37 AM by 245luigi »
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas Triops
Malossi Torque Driver

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2024, 08:35:45 PM »
Your LIKE is a 2-stroke, yes?
what is your top speed ?
We had a guy on the forum a few yrs ago - lost his auto license with a DUI - so bought a 50cc T-2 LIKE and began 'building' it, no license required in his state.  Heavily modified, he eventually claimed an honest 65mph GPS'd.
Then he either blew it up or crashed - because he quit posting!
Was he really getting 65 mph?
I'm assuming the brakes and suspension are unchanged on a 50?  So it is safe to do your speeds using only drive-train mods?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

245luigi

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2024, 02:14:57 AM »
Correct a two stroke. My top speed right now is ~51mph because I went back to stock gears/final drive. I traded my top speed for acceleration. The track has one straight but loads of turns so that makes sense. The bike is track only now

I think all of us had the same setups over time. Like forum history is basically a malossi 70cc sport kit, 19 or 21 mm dell'orto and tecnigas next-r exhaust. If you upgeared, you got more mph, then cvt tune. Could you get a true 65 mph, maybe but that'd have to be a long downhill.

After deep dives on the interwebz, I'm seeing no race crank available (just an Athena aftermarket advertised as OEM replacement). No race cyls. There are airsal, naraku, and polini kits but they are all sport level. My Triops exhaust is considered mid-race but it have to match the cyl to be effective. I have also discovered Gianelli makes exhausts for the LIKE but no one has fitted one to my knowledge so no idea how good they are.

No aftermarket caliper available. I figured out the kymco has a gy6 caliper copy but the kymco caliper is beefier than any gy6 replacement so I stuck with that. I did get polini race pads and malossi shoes. No race brake disc available. Also no upgraded suspension available.

I hope my speeds are safe for the drivetrain but I have no idea, I'm the guinea pig leading the 1 man charge!

Eye candy:

Here is 303's view of race 3, if you look behind him (its a 360 video) you can see me trying my damndest

sweet video made by a guy who raced his p series vespa in geared scoots

« Last Edit: June 14, 2024, 02:43:53 AM by 245luigi »
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas Triops
Malossi Torque Driver