Author Topic: Windshields: Why do you use one?  (Read 874 times)

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
Windshields: Why do you use one?
« on: June 25, 2023, 03:12:45 PM »
At speeds under 65mph, I prefer the breeze, and earplugs take care of the noise.

For those who've added a windshield, is it for noise reduction, protection from cold/rain, or another reason?
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

lewtwo

• View Profile
    • My Kymco Like 150i ABS web page
Re: Windshields: Why do you use one?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 04:45:21 PM »
Depending on the brand and installation, it can add resale value to the bike. If it is not too large and deflects the wind around the rider's torso then it can also lower wind resistance and increase fuel economy. In some cases a tinted (or partially tinted) windshield can also be used to shade the area of the instruments (as well as GPS, cell phone, etc) from the glare of the sun.

Of course there is always the aesthetic appeal as well ... depending on one's taste.
The more I learn the more obvious the immensity of my ignorance becomes.
https://www.keywild.com/scooter/Kymco150i/

NorWeWa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2023, 04:54:47 PM »
Windshields increase noise. Have two scooters, a Honda PCX with the stock very low shield I ride locally and on warmer days, and a Downtown 300i with the stock windshield which I ride on colder days and longer rides. With either machine I still need ear plugs.
My 2 cents worth. 
Art 

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2023, 06:20:49 PM »
I've had one scooter with a tall stock screen (Burgman 400) - I sold it and bought a much lower 'sport' screen from Ermax (FR)
I much preferred the wind in my chest to the buffeting of the stock screen.

Honda Forza 300 had a small sport style screen as stock - worked well for me!
Never felt the need for a screen of any sort on my LIKE200i - for 10 yrs now.
My little Piaggio fly-screen provides maybe a bug bouncer - but certainly an irritating glare ~!

My choice of 'no screen' is not entirely down to my normally modest cruising speeds. I rode the Burgman at 80mph and still preferred the short screen. Also - I regularly ride at night in the rain - and do not want the bother of looking through any part of a wet screen - at dark rural roads or into urban car headlights!

Stig

+1 on earplugs - I wear them every ride
Audiologists are pretty clear about the damage done to riders who don't wear them.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 06:25:28 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2023, 06:37:13 PM »
So far I have never added a windshield to any of the scooters I have owned.  Below 60 I don't see the point and they often add turbulence and noise to your helmet.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2023, 09:08:45 PM »
So far I have never added a windshield to any of the scooters I have owned.  Below 60 I don't see the point and they often add turbulence and noise to your helmet.
Agreed!---that Burgman stock tall screen used to beat my head up on the highway!
My glasses would slide down my nose!
I went to that shorty Ermax - and  l o v e d  it!

Sold it for good $$ (or did I give it way??, forget) to a guy who came from 3 states to get it.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

GoVanGo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2023, 03:42:01 AM »
I dont find I get any more or less noise and it breaks up the wind on my chest so I like them.
Also like watching bugs hit the windshield and not my jacket.
I want a even bigger one .   

Depending on how you angle it , I find it alleviates my helmet turbulence.

Now when I used to ride bigger cruiser motorcycles  I had the huge Memphis fats windshield and
depending on height it could add helmet turbulence , but thats at fast highway speeds.

Breeze is alway there unless you find a way to mount a standard house patio sliding glass door to your handlebars  ;D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 04:23:44 AM by GoVanGo »
06 ZX50
14 Agility 125
17  Like 200i

Before scoot life .
Honda XR100, 4 CB 750s , 1978 Kawa Z1R , 79 Goldwing , HD RoadKing , Honda Areo 1100 .

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2023, 11:05:28 AM »

+1
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2023, 06:56:35 PM »
I like the windscreen on the AK550. Its just big enough to keep wind buffeting down on the highway and allows for smooth airflow over my helmet. Also it keeps the bug splats off my riding jacket as well as deflecting stones flying up in my face from cars in front of me. Since I do a lot of highway driving, it make sense.

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

GoVanGo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2023, 02:36:07 AM »
I like the windscreen on the AK550. Its just big enough to keep wind buffeting down on the highway and allows for smooth airflow over my helmet. Also it keeps the bug splats off my riding jacket as well as deflecting stones flying up in my face from cars in front of me. Since I do a lot of highway driving, it make sense.

Dean
Indeed , also interesting to note , was looking at the 2023 Cannonball scoots I dont think I saw a single one without a windshield.
Must have for that type of event also , going cross country on a scoot is serious riding to me .
06 ZX50
14 Agility 125
17  Like 200i

Before scoot life .
Honda XR100, 4 CB 750s , 1978 Kawa Z1R , 79 Goldwing , HD RoadKing , Honda Areo 1100 .

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2023, 11:20:22 AM »
Indeed , also interesting to note , was looking at the 2023 Cannonball scoots I dont think I saw a single one without a windshield.
Must have for that type of event also , going cross country on a scoot is serious riding to me .

Yes and the barn door screen which came as standard on my X-Town did a great job of wind streaming the raindrops down and off my visor!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2023, 02:40:38 PM »

most had windshields, some didn't.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Super Dirt Dud

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2023, 12:11:34 AM »
I like both big and small windshields or custom ones . I buy bigger wind shields to protect my hand , deflect rocks bugs and rain drops , in the winter snow and cold air .
Also I feel like im on a bike that looks better with a windshield but iv never had a tinted one ill get that for my AK next . OK got a tinted Givi coming my way !
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 12:42:35 AM by Super Dirt Dud »
I HAD THE RIGHT-OF-WAY will look splendid chiseled on your tombstone !

Be Careful out there
 2022 AK550
2023 People 150

lewtwo

• View Profile
    • My Kymco Like 150i ABS web page
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2023, 01:17:37 AM »
most had windshields, some didn't.
And some started with them and finished without them ... and in some cases only part of them  ;D
The more I learn the more obvious the immensity of my ignorance becomes.
https://www.keywild.com/scooter/Kymco150i/

Beaker99

• Auckland, New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2023, 02:11:16 AM »
I've just upgraded from a medium sized screen to a larger one, and I have to say I like it, at least during winter which is what it is here in NZ at the moment.

I will probably go back to the medium screen over summer, but this bigger one has dramatically reduced wind noise for me and it give so much more protection from rain. I commute mostly on the motorway at around 115kph and it's a much more pleasant ride with the wind deflected around / over me. I can still see over the windshield, but the wind is now only hitting the top of my helmet.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()