Author Topic: Kymco AK550 Radar / GPS Mount ?  (Read 1577 times)

Luckyword

• View Profile
Kymco AK550 Radar / GPS Mount ?
« on: June 26, 2023, 08:11:12 PM »
I'd like to find a reliable way to mount my Radar Detector to my Kymco, so that I could remove it after each ride, and am struggling to find a good solution. Any ideas?

I already have a cell phone mount that I bought on Aliexpress, and it's the style that's connected underneath the four windshield screws, and I have it hard-wired to the battery, so I can use waze on my iphone while riding, and it's awesome!

I've thought of using a suction cup to the inside of my windshield for the radar detector, and just run the power cord from the glove box, but things could get ugly if the suction cup and radar detector fell off while riding.

I know in my car that suction cups sometimes loosen in the heat, so that wouldn't be a good / safe solution.

Anyone have any good mounting solutions to add a radar detector? Thanks.

Super Dirt Dud

• View Profile
Re: Kymco AK550 Radar / GPS Mount ?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2023, 12:34:55 AM »
www.rammounts.com they have lots of options I will be figuring out some in the near future I can't live without my Tom Tom Motorcycle GPS .
I will take apart some of the dash and see were is a good place to mount the ball for my items , I plan on having extra spots to put stuff .
I want a cup holder for me and my passenger hers will fit by the side bag I believe . When I get to it ill post up what I did .
I HAD THE RIGHT-OF-WAY will look splendid chiseled on your tombstone !

Be Careful out there
 2022 AK550
2023 People 150

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2023, 02:23:14 AM »
Get this item from TBS. It is made specifically for the AK 550. Include the the left bracket but leave off the RAM phone holder (unless you want that item also).
RAM mounts has mounting balls that will install on this bracket, both the center and left. Or you can even put on 3 RAM balls and with the RAM arms you can mount several devices and angle them to fit. RAM arms are really nice in that a quick twist of the knob releases the arm from the ball to remove any device rapidly. I did that with my GPS device and later with my phone so I could take them with me or stash them in the locked storage box.

https://taiwanbigscootershop.com/collections/ak550/products/kymco-ak550-mobile-phone-holder-multi-function-integrated-system

This bracket is also available from AliExpress and maybe a few other places online.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Super Dirt Dud

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2023, 12:03:03 AM »
Because of the forums like this one I now own a AK550 and soon I will have it set up to my liking thanks for the advice !
I HAD THE RIGHT-OF-WAY will look splendid chiseled on your tombstone !

Be Careful out there
 2022 AK550
2023 People 150

Luckyword

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2023, 02:33:14 PM »
Thanks, RJS987, and Super Dirt Dud, and congrats Super Dirt Dud!

I do have the phone mount RJS987 was referring to, and think it's great.

For the RAM Mount base, I bought this and it works really well: https://www.amazon.com/BRCOVAN-Aluminum-Motorcycle-Reservoir-Compatible/dp/B0BXWFRVY4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1SWMUMA50ZT4M&keywords=BRCOVAN+Aluminum+Alloy+Mount+Base+with+1%27%27+TPU+Ball+for+Motorcycle+Brake%2FClutch+Reservoir+Cover+Compatible+with+RAM+Mounts+B+Size+1+Inch+Ball+Double+Socket+Arm&qid=1690381667&sprefix=brcovan+aluminum+alloy+mount+base+with+1%27%27+tpu+ball+for+motorcycle+brake%2Fclutch+reservoir+cover+compatible+with+ram+mounts+b+size+1+inch+ball+double+socket+arm%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-1

Different Question:  Now that I have my radar detector set up, I'd like to cover the exposed RJ11 cable when I've parked the bike outside, and have taken the radar detector off. I could tuck the cable into the glove box, or use a plastic bag and a rubber band, to cover the exposed RJ11 cable, but neither seem like the quickest solution...

...does anyone know of a general purpose clip on protector that could be used to protect the end of an unplugged RJ11 cable?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 02:40:27 PM by Luckyword »

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2023, 02:46:08 PM »
RJ11 like the old style 4 pin landline phone plug?
There are rj11 dust covers for the jack (hold that the plug goes into) but cannot find anything for the plug end. Is that weather proof on the back side of that plug? If not then the best solution is a small plastic bag and rubber band or, better yet, tuck into the glove box if possible.
/bob

Luckyword

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2023, 03:21:49 PM »
RJ11 like the old style 4 pin landline phone plug?
There are rj11 dust covers for the jack (hold that the plug goes into) but cannot find anything for the plug end. Is that weather proof on the back side of that plug? If not then the best solution is a small plastic bag and rubber band or, better yet, tuck into the glove box if possible.

Thanks. Yes, it's like the old style 4 pin landline phone plug. Yes, I'll probably end up using a plastic bag and rubber band, or tucking into the glove box, as you suggested. Though, I think I may swing by a hardware store and see if they have any other suggestions too.

Luckyword

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2023, 11:52:48 PM »
Get this item from TBS. It is made specifically for the AK 550. Include the the left bracket but leave off the RAM phone holder (unless you want that item also).
RAM mounts has mounting balls that will install on this bracket, both the center and left. Or you can even put on 3 RAM balls and with the RAM arms you can mount several devices and angle them to fit. RAM arms are really nice in that a quick twist of the knob releases the arm from the ball to remove any device rapidly. I did that with my GPS device and later with my phone so I could take them with me or stash them in the locked storage box.

https://taiwanbigscootershop.com/collections/ak550/products/kymco-ak550-mobile-phone-holder-multi-function-integrated-system

This bracket is also available from AliExpress and maybe a few other places online.

So I've successfully set up my radar detector and iphone, but it's not as stealth as I'd like.

Thinking of removing the phone mount from the TBS phone bracket (calling it a TBS bracket here, for lack of a better term, but I realize it's also sold on Ali Express and other places), and then attaching two RAM Mounts to that TBS bracket, one for the radar detector, and one for my iphone, then hard-wiring both to a connection to the battery.

Been looking at RAM Mounts. If I'm understanding correctly, RJS, do you remember / know what mount you used to connect the RAM Mounts to the TBS bracket? In other words, what RAM Base Mount did you use to connect to the TBS Bracket?

I've been looking at the RAM Mount Bases online, but have been struggling a little bit to find two bases that I think would connect relatively seamlessly to the TBS bracket, if that makes sense.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 11:56:01 PM by Luckyword »

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2023, 12:13:26 AM »
I would use this phone mount on the bracket.
https://a.co/d/j85taui

If you bought the side bracket then another mount for the radar detector on that.
I have no info on what RAM mounts work for that.
RAM does have many ball mount bases that will bolt onto the TBS bracket that you can put a RAM arm on to position the device mount as you like. The bolt holes on the TBS bracket are standard spacing for any RAM mount you get.
/bob

Luckyword

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2023, 12:39:43 AM »
I would use this phone mount on the bracket.
https://a.co/d/j85taui

If you bought the side bracket then another mount for the radar detector on that.
I have no info on what RAM mounts work for that.
RAM does have many ball mount bases that will bolt onto the TBS bracket that you can put a RAM arm on to position the device mount as you like. The bolt holes on the TBS bracket are standard spacing for any RAM mount you get.

Thanks. I think for the base, I'm going to try to buy two of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KO5XVU/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A12YZTIFC29MMB&th=1

I realized, what I can do is remove the TBS phone holder, and then try to mount two of them on the plate behind the phone holder. It may end up requiring a touch of drilling, shaving, here and there, but I think it'll work.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2023, 02:13:04 AM »
I used that very item on my Burgman 650. I didn't have the TBS bracket since it was a Burgman instead of the AK, but I mounted that ball mount on the top of the dash and put a short arm on it with my phone holder on the end of the arm.
/bob

Scooter Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2023, 07:16:03 PM »
I'd like to find a reliable way to mount my Radar Detector to my Kymco, so that I could remove it after each ride, and am struggling to find a good solution. Any ideas?

I already have a cell phone mount that I bought on Aliexpress, and it's the style that's connected underneath the four windshield screws, and I have it hard-wired to the battery, so I can use waze on my iphone while riding, and it's awesome!

I've thought of using a suction cup to the inside of my windshield for the radar detector, and just run the power cord from the glove box, but things could get ugly if the suction cup and radar detector fell off while riding.

I know in my car that suction cups sometimes loosen in the heat, so that wouldn't be a good / safe solution.

Anyone have any good mounting solutions to add a radar detector? Thanks.

I just got the same mount from AlliExpress and it has no instruction’s whatsoever! Did you get any? I had to do a bit of modifications including shaving bolt heads(not included) to get mine to fit with windshield in the lowest position on my 2021 model!

Scooter Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2023, 01:06:10 AM »
I just got the same mount from AlliExpress and it has no instruction’s whatsoever! Did you get any? I had to do a bit of modifications including shaving bolt heads(not included) to get mine to fit with windshield in the lowest position on my 2021 model!

So I finally got the Alli express bracket on and the Phone holder punches the side button and tries to call 911 and then presses Blume down button so you can’t hear!🤬

I used some rubber tape that came with it to keep the holder stood off from both buttons.

I do NOT RECOMMEND this AlliExpress mount especially with no instructions!🤨

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2023, 01:30:49 AM »
So I finally got the Alli express bracket on and the Phone holder punches the side button and tries to call 911 and then presses Blume down button so you can’t hear!🤬

I used some rubber tape that came with it to keep the holder stood off from both buttons.

I do NOT RECOMMEND this AlliExpress mount especially with no instructions!🤨

If it is the Garmin phone mount like this one...
https://a.co/d/hq0Q5Gu
Those side keepers/holders can be custom adjusted by moving them to different positions to allow for the buttons on the phone. If yours is more like the X-Grip then I recommend replacing it ASAP with the one I linked to since I've had a modified x-grip holder and this other one is better IMO.

As to mounting the bracket with the shield in the low position... I would have used low profile round headed hex bit bolts to mount it. I have been using that type of bolt for many mounting tasks for precisely this reason unless a typical hex head bolt is the only thing that will work.
/bob

Scooter Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2023, 12:25:53 PM »
If it is the Garmin phone mount like this one...
https://a.co/d/hq0Q5Gu
Those side keepers/holders can be custom adjusted by moving them to different positions to allow for the buttons on the phone. If yours is more like the X-Grip then I recommend replacing it ASAP with the one I linked to since I've had a modified x-grip holder and this other one is better IMO.

As to mounting the bracket with the shield in the low position... I would have used low profile round headed hex bit bolts to mount it. I have been using that type of bolt for many mounting tasks for precisely this reason unless a typical hex head bolt is the only thing that will work.

It was this one, def not a Garman. See attachment

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()