Author Topic: Headlight is weak  (Read 3403 times)

aokark

• View Profile
Headlight is weak
« on: December 11, 2010, 02:11:45 AM »
Hey again
One thing I've noticed when riding in the evening is that the headlight is weak... I've heard people say it's pretty weak but I'm starting to doubt this is what they meant. To explain it in a way I hope you guys understand; it looks like when a flashlight is about out of batteries. If I switch between the low and high beam there's no difference in strength but when I push down the passing light, the light gets strong (looks like it's supposed to). I could be wrong but I think the headlight worked fine before, but I've only been riding 3 times at night and two of those I noticed the light was pretty weak. Just wondering if you guys have any idea's what to look for.

oswaldters

• View Profile
Re: Headlight is weak
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 02:17:26 AM »
Sure sounds like a wiring or switch issue since messing with the switch can get the light to work.

I would start looking at the wiring and switch to see if you can find anything wrong there.

aokark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 02:19:44 AM »
Thank you, once finals are over I'm going to take some time to look at the wires... Just to make things clear, when I release the passing light it goes back to weak again, I'd have to hold the passing light button to keep it strong.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 02:34:25 AM »
Yeah, sounds like something is not right there. Maybe a wire got nicked or pinched or something. If you ride at night you're going to need those lights. Does the horn still sound as loud as it did before?

aokark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 03:54:49 AM »
Will let you know tomorrow or so! Thanks for the idea's... Yea definitely sounds like there's something messy with the resistance.

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 03:56:48 AM »
I'd have to hold the passing light button to keep it strong

Might just be the switch then - I'd look at that first and see what's up with it.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 03:58:40 AM »
Good luck, aokark.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 10:39:13 PM »
I have had a scoot that the wire was geting bad wear the wire comes up along the stearing handle
before it wore thin because of the handle bars turning all the time. check that out if you have a bare wire touching something it well short out or weakin the lights. but yet I think oswwalders and riannia is right something in the switch.

aokark

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 07:39:30 PM »
Wish I had more time today but at least I measured a bit...
So the switch has 12V and the connector after the switch has 12V but then where the connector connects to the headlight it's 2V. If I had more time I'd check that out better... It's that cable you were talking about blue.

I also noticed that there are two smaller lights on the top right and left corner of the headlight, they are wired up to the connector at the headlight but after that, they aren't.

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 08:22:43 PM »
Those two small lights are used as turn signals in some countries.

Other countries require that turn signals be positioned differently and they instead use the type of turn signals you see on your scoot.

aokark

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 06:12:52 AM »
Ah ok makes sense :) Thank you

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 11:25:46 PM »
You think you will be able to patch that cable with some electrical tape or something and move it out of the way, aokark??

aokark

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 06:25:14 AM »
Yea, I should have more time now that my finals are over... If it's the wire I'll probably just run a new one up there... Always been doing something with my girl lol, no time to mess with the scooter! If I had a garage I could leave it apart but I have to put it back together after every time I do something haha

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 02:23:35 AM »
Always been doing something with my girl lol, no time to mess with the scooter

One has to have their priorities...

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 07:57:44 PM »
Yea, I should have more time now that my finals are over... If it's the wire I'll probably just run a new one up there... Always been doing something with my girl lol, no time to mess with the scooter! If I had a garage I could leave it apart but I have to put it back together after every time I do something haha

so are you saying leave your girl in the garage or the scooter. :)lol

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()