Author Topic: kymco agility 125cc wont start  (Read 7526 times)

steve723

• View Profile
kymco agility 125cc wont start
« on: December 11, 2010, 02:42:27 AM »
i have a kymco agility 125cc 07 model,on my way home from work there was a loud pop that came from the bike which i thought was a tire bursting after stopping the tires were fine the bike was still running however after about a mile the bike just died and wouldnt start again,any ideas what the problem could be?the bikes trys to turn over but still wont start

Rianna

• View Profile
Re: kymco agility 125cc wont start
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 02:44:33 AM »
I'm not sure what the noise could have been, steve. You say it sounded like it came from the tire area?

Are the lights and horn still working? Or is there nothing from the battery at all?

steve723

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 02:54:42 AM »
the lights and horn only work when the bike starts. after a few attempts to start the bike the battery died on me i was thinking about trying a new spark plug and checking the fuses to see if that might be the problem other than that im out of ideas.i also checked the tires they seem fine,i dont know how relevant this is but the bike died after a really bad snow storm and the temperature dropped.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 03:02:37 AM »
Hmm...my horn and lights will work when the key is in the ignition and the bike isn't started. (I have the Agility 50.) Have you trying the kick start or the push start button?

Ruling out the spark plug and fuses would be a good start.

Do you think it was backfiring or exhaust noise possibly?

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 03:07:00 AM »
Do you have a charger for the battery?  Something like the battery tender jr. is great for keeping the battery charged up.  You only get so many shots with the starter before the battery weakens.  No surprise it went out on you.

Not sure what might have let go on you, but there are some on the forum that have much greater mechanical knowledge than I. Once they read your post I'm sure they'll be able to give you some suggestions.  Being that it's Friday night, a lot of the regulars are not online at the moment.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

and I also have the agility 50, but my lights don't work until the bike is started.  Weird huh?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 04:12:09 AM by oswaldters »

steve723

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 04:10:42 AM »
i think it possibly was backfiring,after it died and i tryed to start it, it did backfire

steve723

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 04:14:25 AM »
thanks oswalters ive got the battery on charge now

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 04:15:33 AM »
Hi, steve, I don't know if you have a manual yet or not, but I found this link for one in another thread. It might be helpful. I do remember reading about backfiring in the troubleshooting section once.

Kymco Agility 125 Service Manual

steve723

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 04:20:00 AM »
thank you ill have a look

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 04:22:02 AM »
You're welcome, steve, and Good luck! :)

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 04:22:51 AM »
You're welcome.

And if you're getting backfiring, you might need to adjust the carb on the scoot.  

Sounds like you're running lean if the backfiring happened during deceleration.

And yes, the colder temperatures would cause your engine to run lean since the cold air is denser.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 04:30:38 AM by oswaldters »

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 05:03:31 AM »
Do you suppose the first bang could've been the battery blowing up or popping?  Did you look at it?

Oh, I see you did since you've got it on charge.  My mistake. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 05:05:24 AM by Hoolander2 »

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 03:51:40 PM »
 I googled "Backfire"

..."Backfire in an automobile engine typically results from various malfunctions related to the air to fuel ratio. Backfiring can occur in carbureted engines that are running lean where the air-fuel mixture has insufficient fuel and whenever the timing is too advanced. As the engine runs leaner or if there is less time for the fuel to burn in the combustion chamber, there is a tendency for incomplete combustion. The condition that causes this is a misfire. The result of a misfire or incomplete combustion is that unburned fuel or flammable hydrocarbons are delivered to the exhaust manifold where it may ignite unpredictably. Another backfire situation occurs when the engine is running rich (with excess fuel) and there is incomplete combustion during the Otto cycle, with similar results.
Popularly the term is used to describe a sharp report produced by almost any type of engine. However, among engine professionals, "afterfire" is the term used to describe ignition of fuel within the engine exhaust system and "backfire" is the term used to describe this same process taking place in the induction system, primarily in internal combustion engines. The separate terms are useful when troubleshooting running problems."...

Sounds like backfire. If you put your bike in a warm place it may start. The warmer air is less dense so hopefully the bike will start because it will not have to breathe cold dense air. I think the cold air is what is keeping the bike from starting. If it starts you can be reasonably sure it is a fuel-air problem due to the cold air. But check your spark plug and compare it to a chart that will give you an idea of how your cylinder is burning fuel. You probably just need to enrichen the mixture with your pilot screw and maybe adjust the valves. Good Luck!

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 03:59:06 AM »
If your bike starts when it is warm then most likely the problem is a fuel issue, as in not rich enough. Sorry about my last post, I invented the word 'enrichen' which I am pretty sure doesn't exist. I hope you can get your bike inside to start it using warm air. Mine didn't like 30 degree air but ironically it starts easier with cold air. That is probably because it has less moisture in it and hence more available oxygen, combined with the fact that it is denser therefore even more oxygen. Also, the choke system is designed to enrich the mixture when the engine is cold. get your battery in shape, warm up the bike inside if possible and start it indoors or at least when the air outside is warmer than say 40 degrees. or you could warm up your garage if you have one and experiment with the pilot screw. it seems like there is always a 'scooter mechanic' in every town on craigslist and maybe you could call him/her to come over and get your bike ready for the colder weather. I know here in indianapolis there are at least 2 of these guys available to do house calls. a slight tweek is all you need on your carb but it wouldn't hurt to have them check the valves unless you know they are good. so how cold is it in your part of the country? here in indy it is a balmy 10 degrees fahrenheit. not much scootering here anytime soon. I need a good fairing!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()