Author Topic: What is the name of this thing?  (Read 6789 times)

Rianna

• View Profile
What is the name of this thing?
« on: December 14, 2010, 01:22:50 AM »
I found this in a drawer.

What is it called and what can I test on the scoot with it?

oswaldters

• View Profile
Re: What is the name of this thing?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 01:24:28 AM »
What is a multimeter Alex?

Sorry, I must have been watching Jeopardy earlier.

You can test electrical stuff - like your auto bypass for instance.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 01:39:54 AM »
Thank you, oswaldters! I wanted to google the name of it, but I couldn't remember it, lol. There was a little book that came with it and the print was sooo small. I skimmed through it the best I could and never did find the name of it! :D

I reckon they figure if you buy it you know what it is. It was given to me a few years back. I don't know what I was going to use it for then, but I don't think I actually ever used it.

So...auto bypass. 8)

Anything else?

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 02:33:04 AM »
wow thats a good find rianna hang on to that put that in you tool box.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 02:39:59 AM »
Thanks, blue. I'm wondering if it can be used to test the current going to that push start button. Do you know?

I should clean out drawers and closets more often, huh? No telling what I might find. :D

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 04:08:15 AM »
yes you can use it on your scoot it well tell you which wires are + and -.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 04:13:56 AM »
Thank you, blue! :)

aokark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 04:19:47 AM »
You might want to make sure you understand how it works before you start using it :)
Measuring something the wrong way could do damage... Not sure if your instructions are good but here's a video for basics

Edit: also keep in mind that your meter is analog, which means that if it's a negative reading, you might damage the needle as it would try and move the wrong way.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 04:25:25 AM by aokark »

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 04:39:15 AM »
Uh-oh...sounds complicated. :D

One more thing I get to learn about.

Thank you, aokark. :) I can't watch videos at the moment, but maybe I can convince my son to let me watch it on his computer tomorrow.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 05:15:36 AM »
Very nice item to have.  Be aware it has a battery and a fuse.  If it's been laying around a while, battery may need replacing.  It's usually one triple A in one of that size.  The battery is only in use when checking continuity or resistance (ohms). 

Can use it to check amps or volts without battery in it. 

Those manuals that come with them rarely explain the basics of electricity so you have to learn those before the meter is much use.  Try an encyclopedia or some basic electrics literature.  Bet you can find something online. You can begin to understand basics fairly quickly. 

Or ask somebody here for help for a specific test.  ;)

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 05:33:17 AM »
Thanks, Hoolander. :)

I didn't know about the fuse. I'm sure it will need a fresh battery. That's pretty cool you can use it check some things without a battery. I had to laugh at that manual because if it did say something useful I would never know. I felt like a needed a magnifier for my magnifying glass.

I'll probably find some good info online somewhere, but if I get stuck I'll be sure to post a silly question or two.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 05:38:42 AM »
What can you test on the scoot with it?  Many things.  Only it won't test high amperage like in the starting circuit.  Gotta have much bigger one for that.  

Still, it's good for showing battery volts -- motor running and/or not running.  

Continuity:  that'd be a good test for that switch you're talking about.   Continuity needs to be checked when there's no current going to/through the part in question.  Otherwise you blow the meter's fuse!  

A cheap little set of jumper wires with alligator clips helps many times so you can attach your leads to what you're checking.  Otherwise, seems like you need three or four hands.   :D

When you turn the dial into the different sections, you read a different line on the meter face.  The lines are all marked at one end or the other as to what they're for.  

Check the meter's battery by turning dial to the highest Ohm setting, then touch the two leads together.  Should make the needle go all the way across.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 08:51:37 AM »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 12:37:21 AM »
It's a tool you'll need for working on electrical problems. Learn as much about it as you can, and later consider buying a digital one. Prices have really, really dropped.

Rianna

• View Profile

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()