Author Topic: What is the name of this thing?  (Read 6790 times)

Rianna

• View Profile
Re: What is the name of this thing?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 01:07:12 AM »
It's a tool you'll need for working on electrical problems. Learn as much about it as you can, and later consider buying a digital one. Prices have really, really dropped.
Thanks, Agent Bob. Yes, one with a nice digital display would be great to have.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 01:16:17 AM »
What can you test on the scoot with it?  Many things.  Only it won't test high amperage like in the starting circuit.  Gotta have much bigger one for that.  

Still, it's good for showing battery volts -- motor running and/or not running.  

Continuity:  that'd be a good test for that switch you're talking about.   Continuity needs to be checked when there's no current going to/through the part in question.  Otherwise you blow the meter's fuse!  

A cheap little set of jumper wires with alligator clips helps many times so you can attach your leads to what you're checking.  Otherwise, seems like you need three or four hands.   :D

When you turn the dial into the different sections, you read a different line on the meter face.  The lines are all marked at one end or the other as to what they're for.  

Check the meter's battery by turning dial to the highest Ohm setting, then touch the two leads together.  Should make the needle go all the way across.

Wow, so I can check the battery output with this as well? Pretty cool. I haven't read up on it yet. Been too busy. I did try that test you suggested and the needle never moved. I put a fresh battery in it today and tried again. The needle still did not move. I pulled the little fuse and it looks like I won't be doing anything with this little gadget until payday. All the fuses I have are the wrong size. :(

I do think I actually have a set of wires with those little alligator clips on them. If I can find them that is...lol. I think they may have come with a power inverter I bought for the truck (or something like that...I can't remember.)

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 03:12:08 AM »
just dont try useing it wile you are standing in a pool of water.------lol

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 03:43:51 AM »
I put a fresh battery in it today and tried again. The needle still did not move.

Is there an on/off switch on the side?   If so, try that.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 04:12:09 AM »
LOL @ blue. I don't have plans to be standing in any pools this time of year anyway. :D

No on/off switch on the side, Hoolander. It has a dial that spins on the side, sorta like a volume dial on an old radio. I moved the dial all the way in both directions. It doesn't actually click on and off, though. Maybe this is why it ended up in a drawer and I never used it for whatever I had planned year ago. ::) :D

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 04:38:42 AM »
Ok.  That dial on the side is for adjusting the needle once you do get it to come on. 

Was it brand new when you got it? 

Are the leads plugged in tight?  Guess you might be looking for a fuse then. Sometimes they come with a spare in the package.   Radio Shack probably has em.   

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 01:42:30 AM »
It was used when I got it. There's no spare in the package. No worries, though. I added the fuse to my shopping list. Thanks for the tip about Radio Shack.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 05:32:11 AM »
To see it it's working at all.. Turn the dial to OHM x1, plug the cables in and touch them to each other.  The needle should jump all the way across the dial.  If not.. I suspect the meter is dead. Take it Radio Shack. The nerd there may be able to help.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 11:28:22 PM »
Yeah, I got nothing. Thanks, TechGuy. I'll take it with me. Who knows? I may come out with a nicer model instead of a fuse. :)

aokark

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 06:36:39 AM »
You can get a fully functional digital multimeter for like $5... I just happen to have one for $1500 lol, good but overpriced but my job paid for it so I'm not complaining

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 06:44:55 PM »
Wow, $5, really? Sounds good...thanks, aokark! :)

Sounds like you've got a great one there...$1500! :o

aokark

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2010, 06:33:44 AM »
For simple things at home, a $5 or $10 multimeter would work just as good. If you have a Harbor Freight nearby they have some cheap ones like this http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-90899.html

Edit: The high quality multimeters can give a more accurate reading, some have lifetime warranty and calibration, are rated for higher voltages... Most also have special functions etc but it's definitely not necessary to have a really expensive high quality multimeter in your home... With a cheap multimeter you can learn how they work and if you blow it up, you won't kill yourself over $5 :-P
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 06:40:06 AM by aokark »

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2010, 03:56:23 AM »
Thanks for the link, aokark.

If I blow it up, I'll be sure to make a post all about it. :D

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 05:15:14 AM »
Well, Radio Shack didn't have the right size fuse and they kept trying to sell me the 2.5 one that was the wrong size for it so I decided not to buy anything there. I felt like asking him could he put a D size battery in television's remote control. I didn't do it, though. ;D

Any ideas where else I might could find a fuse or another multimeter? Harbor Freight's just too far away.

Agent Bob

• View Profile

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()