Author Topic: AK550 Keyless Issue  (Read 274 times)

Luckyword

• View Profile
AK550 Keyless Issue
« on: September 24, 2023, 02:08:29 PM »
On Friday, I went to start the Kymco, and it wouldn't recognize the Key Fob. I noticed that the Key Fob Battery appeared dead, as the red light on the Fob stayed dark when I pressed the Fob button.

So I grabbed my spare Key Fob -- and what's odd is -- the button emited a red light when I pressed it -- so it appeared the battery in the fob was good -- but when I stood in close proximity to the bike, the bike still wouldn't recongize the Fob, as it normally did -- however, when I placed the Fob on the manual starter activation square -- the bullseye on top of the glove box -- the bike did recognize the fob and I was able to start the bike.

I've been able to replicate this between Friday and today.

So, now, the bike only starts when I place one of the fobs on the manual bullseye starter. The bike doesn't seem to recognize the other fob.

Any ideas on what could be causing this, and what troubleshooting steps I should take? If this has happened to you, what did you do to address it?

I put the bike on a trickle charger, hoping that would help, but the battery seemed fine, even before this hiccup. I've taken the trickle charger off whenever trying to start the bike again.

If I find a solution, I'll update this thead.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 02:10:20 PM by Luckyword »

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: AK550 Keyless Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2023, 08:37:17 PM »
I've had both fobs batteries die at about the same time and both would turn on the bike when I set them onto the bullseye.
I replaced the battery in one fob and just don't bother putting a battery in the second one. That second fob I keep in a RFID pouch under the seat in case I completely loose the primary one. No sense to put a battery in the backup fob since the batteries run down about the same rate regardless if the fob is being used to start the bike or not. Fob is ALWAYS ON. I bought my batteries as a 4 pack on Amazon and carry a spare in my camping pack when I travel along with other batteries for my camping headlight. I don't worry about it when I am riding around home since the fob will turn on the bike without a working battery.

Since both fobs will turn on the bike when you place either one on the bullseye then replace the battery. There might be just barely enough battery power in your second fob to turn on the LED light but not enough for the bike to "see" it. It's not really a "problem" issue but a maintenance item. I find the battery in the fob lasts about a year so just plan on replacing it each riding season.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()