Author Topic: Hazard/emergency lights - cool feature!  (Read 1635 times)

Crankymotors

• Cranky motors…Motorcycles, Scooters, Atv’s…!
  • Scooters / motorcycles/ atv’s / go carts ….!
    • View Profile
Hazard/emergency lights - cool feature!
« on: September 25, 2023, 12:54:16 PM »
So some people use the hazard/emergency lights to warn others you’re driving slowly etc….but then you can’t use your turn signals at intersections/junctions etc!

Kymco x-town 300i to the rescue!!!!

Switch on your hazard /emergency blinkers as normal - all good.

However, when you put on your left or right turn signal, it overrides the hazards and works as normal (including switching on the ‘blinking’ sound ) until you press the switch in the center to cancel….then the hazards are back on!

Magic!
Also, the blinking sound is not on when the hazards are on, and the hazards are available to you without a key in the ignition-good thinking!

(Not mentioned in any documentation i could find)

Cranky
😄🛵
Kymco x~Town300! 2023
Honda Trail 2022
Honda CB500x 2021
Wolf 50cc scooter

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Hazard/emergency lights - cool feature!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2023, 01:44:55 PM »
You’re right, a cool feature. I’ve had hazards on most of my bikes for the last 30 years! Think the first model I had with them was my late 90’s Triumph 900 Sprint Triple.  Wasn’t aware of the X-Town indicator override, must try that on my DTX360. I’ll let you know!

Edit.  Yes,tested the  DTX360 and the feature is present and correct there too!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 08:01:14 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 01:49:29 PM »
Sounds like most of the cars and bikes I've owned over the years that had hazard lights. They all did that.

But then, I come from riding bigger bikes that worked like cars in that feature... if they even had hazard lights (my ST1100 didn't). My wife's Metropolitan scooter doesn't have hazard lights feature so a non-issue there. My AK does this and is the smallest bike I've owned other than my very first bike... A 1973 Harley 125 dual sport that also didn't have hazard lights.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 01:58:35 PM by rjs987 »
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 07:31:31 AM »
Can also confirm this feature this with the Downtown 350i.

The normal left/right indicators/blinkers are controlled by a physical handlebar switch and flasher relays.

The hazards are controlled by a small switch on the right handlebar and solid-state circuit (Hazard Control Assembly) which is a little green box with wires underneath the right seat tub. When the normal indicators are turned on this will turn off the hazard light controller. It run almost silently so it's easy to forget they are on. They also don't run when the bike is off, only when the ignition is on or the bike engine is running.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 11:22:17 AM »
Well, for those out there hazarding and turning in traffic  - there's always your left arm.
Old school....but so unexpected that it has worked on those braindead drivers behind me.
Stig
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 11:26:22 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2023, 07:09:30 AM »
Sounds like most of the cars and bikes I've owned over the years that had hazard lights. They all did that.

Well you learn something every day. Tried this in the wife’s Merc yesterday and, sure enough, it’s got the feature!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Crankymotors

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2023, 07:31:52 PM »
Lifes a lesson!

Most bikes i have, the hazards (if the bike has them!) overrides the turn signals so they are ineffective.

My honda navi…..no hazards….definitely needs them! (Top speed 47mph with a tailwind, going downhill, the sun on your back, tires overinflated, breathing in, high octane gas, and bean burrito for lunch etc!)

My Honda trail 125….no hazards…definitely needs them! (Top speed 60mph…same ideal conditions above)

My cheapo Chinese scooter (50cc wolf) has hazards, but its through a cool feature where you just turn the left turn signal on , don’t push to cancel, turn right signal on ….hazards!!!
But the Kymco is king, with the auto turn signal override!😄

Cranky

Better to ride a small bike hard, than a big bike soft!

😄
Kymco x~Town300! 2023
Honda Trail 2022
Honda CB500x 2021
Wolf 50cc scooter

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2023, 12:13:28 PM »
I just gotta try this.... will report....
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2023, 05:53:19 AM »
Well, for those out there hazarding and turning in traffic  - there's always your left arm.
Old school....but so unexpected that it has worked on those braindead drivers behind me.
Stig

I use my left arm on my UXV450i when I'm on the street. I qualify for a "Special Commercial" registration here in NH.
RandyO
IBA#9560

Crankymotors

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2023, 03:19:51 PM »
….left arms are ok…except when downshifting….or at night !!🤪
Kymco x~Town300! 2023
Honda Trail 2022
Honda CB500x 2021
Wolf 50cc scooter

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2023, 04:54:49 PM »

Reflective gear (jacket trim) takes care of the dark. Scooters, the clutching.
I don't recall ever using the hazards on my scooters...since I don't travel interstates. During my freq photo stops on rural roads I set my turn signal and rubberband my very very bright brake light systems...watch for traffic- (very easy to spot 'em in the dark🙃)
I wager that I probably ride in the dark more than most - my every ride starts in the dark. As such I'm well practiced in safe lighting situations....and get along well without that nice yellow switch.

Stig
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 04:56:49 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2023, 08:46:41 PM »

I am still in the habit of arm signals, we were taught to use them in drivers ed, along with the turn signals, sometimes in the glare of sun, the vehicle's flashing light just looks like the sun reflecting off a piece of chrome. I remember my dad using them when I was little

I wish someone would develop a turn signal turned on by a mind reader, hardly anyone uses them anymore, and half of those that do, only turn them on when they are already turning
RandyO
IBA#9560

Passport Steve

• CAN is not the same as SHOULD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2023, 10:19:34 AM »
I just gotta try this.... will report....

Snap! Although use of hazards on a moving vehicle is a "must not" in the UK so I wouldn't do it anyway.
Current ride DT X360-320cc
Past rides Honda Forza 300, Yamaha Xmax 300, Kawasaki J300SE, Peugeot Satelis 250 (x3!), Peugeot Elystar 150 (x2), Piaggio Typhoon 125.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2023, 10:28:19 AM »
... use of hazards on a moving vehicle is a "must not" in the UK so I wouldn't do it anyway.

I'm UK-based too Steve and whilst in general I agree it's against the law, Highway Code rule 116 states:

"Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed."

One other instance where I routinely use them whilst moving, and which I think only a pedantic cop would book you for, is those frequent occasions where I meet a horse and rider on twisty country lanes.  Once (slowly) past the rider I always give oncoming motorists a quick flash of the hazards to warn them of the impending hazard.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 10:36:10 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Passport Steve

• CAN is not the same as SHOULD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2023, 10:35:34 AM »
I'm UK-based too Steve and whilst in general I agree it's against the law, Highway Code rule 116 states:

"Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed."

One other instance where I routinely use then whilst moving, and which I think only a pedantic cop would book you for, is those frequent occasions where I meet a horse and rider on twisty country lanes.  Once (slowly) past the rider I always give oncoming motorists a quick flash of the hazards to warn them of the impending hazard.

Yeah, I agree on that - we have deer wandering across the roads around here especially early evenings and sometimes ducks crossing by the village pond so I'll do it as well.
Current ride DT X360-320cc
Past rides Honda Forza 300, Yamaha Xmax 300, Kawasaki J300SE, Peugeot Satelis 250 (x3!), Peugeot Elystar 150 (x2), Piaggio Typhoon 125.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()