Author Topic: Battery  (Read 6652 times)

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
Re: Battery
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 02:43:39 PM »
MaryK...How big was the Solar Charger you had.  The one I got was
6" Sq. and charges in Milliamps.  Over the winter,  My bikes are started
every 2-4 weeks and if it's decent  35-37 degrees and dry,  I'll ride them.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 03:14:20 PM »
It was about 4" x 12", for automobile batteries.  If you monitor your electrolyte level, yours may be ok.

In general, it is not a good idea to overcharge batteries.  That is why the tender or maintainer type of charger
is so useful and it has a visual indicator (green light) to let you know when the battery is charged.
You could use a battery tester.

Scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
my charger is like a tender it shuts off when the battery is charged but keeps the battery worm state.

Yager E

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 12:23:53 PM »
Battery contacts are not exposed on scoots. Do you remove the plastic cover of the battery bay every time? Sounds lika PITA.

Its really easy once you hook up the pigtail harness to your battery. All batter tenders I know of come with the harness that attaches to your battery, with about a 2-3 foot long wire and SAE plug. You can run the pigtail out from the battery box to a spot easy to access. See my attached photo. Mine comes out the left side and when I get home, I plug the connector from the tender to the one that goes to the battery.   
Elliot

2010 Yager GT 200i
Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Support our Troops!

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 12:54:18 AM »
Wow! You take great pictures, Yager E!

Now I will know exactly what kind to buy to save my battery if I can't get my scoot started up soon.

Seriously - In your pic I can see that the output is 12V DC, the input is 120V AC and even that the Red light means charging. ;D

Can't quite make out the model # though. Is that 021-0123??

Thank you!! :)

Yager E

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 01:13:18 AM »
Hi Rianna,

I'm not at home right now...escaping the snow for a few days in Fla, yes I'm a wuss! Not sure of the model # but will check when I get home. The box that I'm holding has a plug behind it to plug into a wall socket. I believe it charges at .50 or .75 amps and is automatic. If the battery is charged it will stop charging it and only maintain it. It isn't supposed to be used to recharge a dead or low battery, just maintain one that is hooked up already charged. If you ride your scoot every day or so, you won't need it, but if your bike will not be started for a week or more I would put it on the tender. I have left some of my bikes on the tender for 6 mos while traveling out of state and started right up when I got home. There are different models but most of them are in the $25-40 price range. Battery tender and Schumacher are good companies to use.
Elliot

2010 Yager GT 200i
Support our Troops!

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 01:25:23 AM »
Thank you so much, Yager E. I think I did see a Schumacher one here.

Wow, Florida, huh? I'm jealous, lol. Hope you all have a great trip!

scootergrisen

• View Profile
    • scootergrisen
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 01:55:50 AM »
Its better to store the battery in a cold place because then the battery will self discharge more slowly.
Its not like it will be damaged when stored at room temperatur but then it self discharge faster.
But if you connect a automatic battery charger to the battery all the time it dossent matter if its cold og room temperature because the battery charger will keep the battery fully charged all the time.

If you dont have a automatic charger its best to charge the battery before the storage and then check and charge the battery every month if its stored cold. Check and charge every 2 weeks if stored in a warm place.
You need a battery charger either way.

Check out page 24 "Storage" : http://scootergrisen.dk/scooterhjemmeside/download/yuasabatteri.pdf

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 02:04:27 AM »
Thank you for this link, scootergrisen!

Yager E

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 01:03:49 AM »
Wow, Florida, huh? I'm jealous, lol. Hope you all have a great trip!

Rianna,

You must have ESP....yup we are in Florida! We left NE GA, yesterday afternoon in snow flurries, dark and nasty with a big time snow/ice storm on the way Sunday night. We're going to spend a week or so down here. It is hard to take so far.....sunny and 70s, almost had to turn on the AC! Georgia and most of the southeast is in for a really nasty storm the next few days.....I hope everyone stays safe....keep off the ice!

Elliot
Elliot

2010 Yager GT 200i
Support our Troops!

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 02:26:06 AM »
found this today thinking of tryimg it .a battery chager that runs on solar power it can stay on the scoot all the time . what you think yes or no to trying it.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 04:29:44 AM »
Rianna,

You must have ESP....yup we are in Florida! We left NE GA, yesterday afternoon in snow flurries, dark and nasty with a big time snow/ice storm on the way Sunday night. We're going to spend a week or so down here. It is hard to take so far.....sunny and 70s, almost had to turn on the AC! Georgia and most of the southeast is in for a really nasty storm the next few days.....I hope everyone stays safe....keep off the ice!

Elliot

Oh, MAN! I bet that was rough to take! 70 Degrees!! You teasin' me...rubbin' it in even! :D

Hey...I'll trade places with ya. ;D

I believe we're supposed to get hit with that storm up here as well. Looks like I'm not going to the store this week. Hey, you ought to bottle up some of that sunshine while you're there and send it up our way. Watch out for them alligators. I hear they're pretty mean down there.

Have Fun!

Reckon I'll go throw a couple more logs on the fire...

"Air Conditioning" Geesh! :)

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 04:31:22 AM »
found this today thinking of tryimg it .a battery chager that runs on solar power it can stay on the scoot all the time . what you think yes or no to trying it.
That thing looks pretty cool, blue!

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2011, 08:32:37 AM »
Hi, Elliot! :)

Are you still in Florida, buddy? I do hope you send some warmth and sunshine up this way. My aching bones and muscles can't take much more of this here cold. I can't sleep this night. My back is behaving in an unforgiving and uncooperative manner, so I thought I'd come in and check on ya. I bet y'all are having a blast if you are still down there!

I'll let ya know that you're not missing anything up here. Weather in the teens. Stay as long as you can and have some fun. Hey, did you take your camera with you? Maybe you could post us up a pic of the ocean? Or the sand? Have a great day, Yager E!! :)

(I do wonder if your RV is the one with the 2 televisions in it, and if it has the double door fridge or the mini-mini. A fella down the street has one for sale, but it's not pretty like yours.)

Yager E

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2011, 01:28:52 PM »
Hi, Elliot! :)
(I do wonder if your RV is the one with the 2 televisions in it, and if it has the double door fridge or the mini-mini. A fella down the street has one for sale, but it's not pretty like yours.)

Hey Rianna,

Yes, ours have the bigger double door refrig, 2 TVs, satellite dish on top, etc. Kind of like a very small home on wheels. We have been home since Jan 20th, and still kicking ourselves, (not too hard) for coming home way too soon. Weather in the GA mountains has been a lot like yours. Cold, wet, dreary and my bones/muscles ache too! We had some things to do so we came home, but nothing important.  The past weekend was a great time for riding, but I signed up for a class (dummy me) and they turned out to be the two best days of winter. Thousands of bikers in the mountains, and mine were stuck in the basement....they are not happy!

Take care, and I hope you are staying warm,

Elliot 
Elliot

2010 Yager GT 200i
Support our Troops!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()