Author Topic: Kymco like set up for winter  (Read 608 times)

scooter freak

• View Profile
Kymco like set up for winter
« on: December 13, 2023, 10:55:14 PM »
Installed these new hand guards and really like them for the cold. they are barkbusters and they are semi rigid. they go on easily and can be used on many different bikes. helps out with the cold upstate NY weather

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco like set up for winter
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 12:20:53 AM »

My issue with hand-muffs of any kind is the difficulty I have getting my hands back in them on the fly.
When I'm riding in rain and fog, or stopping for quick photos, in the dark -  - my hands would be conastantly in and out of the muffs as I repeatedly wipe my wet visor!

Also - I have huge hands, made even larger by heavy leather gauntlets worn over heated liners. My massive Highway21 battery heated gauntlets are even more bulky.
I might give these a try to see if that opening (seen below) is big enough. Revzilla has easy returns if they don't work for me.
Anyway - thanks for posting. Hope they work for you this winter!
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 01:03:28 AM »
My issue with hand-muffs of any kind is the difficulty I have getting my hands back in them on the fly.
When I'm riding in rain and fog, or stopping for quick photos, in the dark -  - my hands would be conastantly in and out of the muffs as I repeatedly wipe my wet visor!

Also - I have huge hands, made even larger by heavy leather gauntlets worn over heated liners. My massive Highway21 battery heated gauntlets are even more bulky.
I might give these a try to see if that opening (seen below) is big enough. Revzilla has easy returns if they don't work for me.
Anyway - thanks for posting. Hope they work for you this winter!
Stig

That's the same problem I found with one set of muffs that were way too floppy at the end where you stick your hands into them. Needed a third hand just to get my 2 hands in. And then what do I do with my third hand?
I was directed to my Kemimoto muffs (Universal Touch-Friendly Winter Gloves as Kemimoto calls them). They have a rigid edge around the opening that holds them open so I can, and have many times, take my hands out to wipe my visor and slip my hands right back in without drama. They are close to my jacket arms to keep cold air out and are very air tight so cold air doesn't blow in from anywhere. Even without the grip heaters turned on I can wear my TM Mid-Tex gloves and be warm down to just below freezing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eMAnfXK4AML9a3MV8
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 01:06:02 AM by rjs987 »
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 01:47:50 AM »
I used KLR handguards on my SV650, kinda steampunk, but they adapt easy to most Asian bike handlebars, My V-strom came with them as standard equipment.

On my AK550, I got the GIVI tall windscreen, deflects wind from the grip area somewhat, haven't really been out in cold yet. My K-Pipe would take KLR handguards but unlikely to ride that much even though COLD AIR = FREE HORSE POWER
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2023, 07:53:29 AM »
Neat looking muffs. Not an option on my DTX360 without removing the OEM hand guards I suspect?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Super Dirt Dud

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2024, 02:27:57 AM »
That's the same problem I found with one set of muffs that were way too floppy at the end where you stick your hands into them. Needed a third hand just to get my 2 hands in. And then what do I do with my third hand?
I was directed to my Kemimoto muffs (Universal Touch-Friendly Winter Gloves as Kemimoto calls them). They have a rigid edge around the opening that holds them open so I can, and have many times, take my hands out to wipe my visor and slip my hands right back in without drama. They are close to my jacket arms to keep cold air out and are very air tight so cold air doesn't blow in from anywhere. Even without the grip heaters turned on I can wear my TM Mid-Tex gloves and be warm down to just below freezing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eMAnfXK4AML9a3MV8

I went with those covers also really inexpensive 30 bucks and they work ok I’ve used them quite a bit . I found them easy to get in and out of I have big hands to  . In my youth I ran ice bikes for 30 years and used the open type because it not if your going to fall its when and how hard is the hit . They let you get away from the bike and that is important when ice crashing. With the heated grips good gloves maybe I don’t need the KeriMoto one but they work good except I noticed the hard cover pushed down on my brake lever . I only found that out when I was following a buddy who let me use his ADV 150 to test out . Yea I bought one of those to so the extra set will go on that bike . Whatever you do if you ride in the cold put something in front of your hand and use a thin glove liner insert under warm gloves .

But keep on riding!
I HAD THE RIGHT-OF-WAY will look splendid chiseled on your tombstone !

Be Careful out there
 2022 AK550
2023 People 150

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2024, 03:53:11 AM »
Winter riding was miserable...until I figured out a reliable way to keep my hands comfortable.
Because it would be really uncomfortable - and probably
 dangerous...I now ride out to my winter destinations with a backup method to make it home with warm hands.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()