Author Topic: People S 125 cold start issue  (Read 501 times)

MinnesotaJeff

• View Profile
People S 125 cold start issue
« on: December 23, 2023, 04:23:29 PM »
Hi everyone, new member from Minnesota here. I have a People S 125 with a cold start issue. I have completely disassembled the carb, cleaned jets and passageways and confirmed that the enricher is working as it should. My issue is that after sitting overnight the bike will only start if I give it some throttle. With no throttle it will crank forever but not fire. Give it a little throttle and it fires right off immediately. At that point I need to hold the throttle open a bit for about 10 seconds and then the bike will idle on its own. After doing this first thing in the morning, it will start as it should with just a bump of the starter and no throttle. It will idle high with the enricher and slowly come down over a minute or so as it should. It runs out fine on the road. I'm 50+ years old with lots of carb experience on cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles..... you name it. I can't figure this one out! I've checked float level, confirmed and tried playing with idle mixture settings. No change to the issue. Hoping the think tank here might be able to help steer me towards a solution!  Thank you!

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: People S 125 cold start issue
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2023, 03:29:51 PM »
is your air/fuel adjustment screw set properly? Are you running factory jets in the carb (do you know the sizes?)? Has any other work been done to the carb?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2023, 06:24:51 PM »
is your air/fuel adjustment screw set properly? Are you running factory jets in the carb (do you know the sizes?)? Has any other work been done to the carb?
Hawk, I looked at that last night - Leesons Kymco parts.
That was my guess, as well.
Have I read that these things are cheap and universal on eBay and in autoparts stores.?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2023, 04:40:35 PM »
Have I read that these things are cheap and universal on eBay and in autoparts stores.?
Stig

I think Ruffus has posted a number of times about using a generic carb on these scoots and it works just fine. I'd want to see if I could fix the factory carb, first, but yeah, a $20 or $30 USD carb may do the trick!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2023, 07:22:58 PM »
Hawk yes, did several changes from original KEIHIN carbs to aftermarket pieces.
In cases where I could not open this tiny passages for the carbs cold start unit.
If you measure diameters well before, no need to build adapters for air intake.
Alu corrodes sometimes so badly not worth the effort to spend hours on cleaning and rejetting.
Pls see pic below for a 26mm CVK carb.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 07:26:02 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()